Damage estimation

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
really hoping the angle and speed I bounced off it’ll be okay. Really hoping to save this thing. But I also don’t want to keep it if it’s compromised
It really doesn't take much to bend these newer cars. Especially when they bounce off a guard rail or concrete divider.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I think 10-15k is about right. How many miles on the car and what package, premium or base? The value of the car is going to determine if the insurance company will choose to fix it or not.

Premium, 15,000 mile car, probably gets fixed. Base, 90,000 car, probably gets totaled.
17’ performance pack. 52k miles. Base model with some upgrades although I know they won’t help much if at all.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Sadly, I think because of 50k on it, 6 years old and base car, it get totaled. buy it back, and order a FFR Daytona coupe kit, and have a light car with all the s550 goodies.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
17’ performance pack. 52k miles. Base model with some upgrades although I know they won’t help much if at all.
I think you meant ‘17… the ‘ takes the place of the “20” that precedes the 17 (in this case).

17’ means 17 feet. I was confused as to why you had a 17 foot performance pack…

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time with pointing that out, I am slightly neurotic.

Sorry about your car.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Agree with the 10-15
From what’s posted it’ll need new bumper, front fender, new light, it looks good but if it’s lose it’ll need replacing. New trunk lid rear quarter panel then painting and matching because of the age of the car. And that’s we can see, once they start tearing the car apart they might find more.
Be ready for it to be totaled. Age and mileage won’t do you any favors. Kinda sucks because if it was your fault insurance is going to get steep.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
So sorry that happened to you, and your car. I'm down the road a piece from you (Carson City) and I'm lucky to be retired, with a nice Jeep for when I have to go out in foul weather. This winter has been so brutal that I've only taken the Mustang out once since December. Been here since '80 and I don't remember a winter like this one.
For those who don't follow the national weather, we've been dealing with lots of snow and ice since New Year's. Frequent road, school and business closures, and many, many spinouts and crashes.
To the OP, on top of everything else, don't be surprised if the local ins. adjusters and body shops are so busy that they can't get you fixed up for a while. I hope you have a Plan B for your daily transportation. Again, sorry for your loss, but at least you're o.k. physically.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Damn sorry about your car as soon as I saw the rear damage I’m like definitely at least 10k.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Whaat? 15k for a couple of plastic bumpers, two bonnets, a quarter panel and some welding sticks?

Now I understand why Polish and Lithuanians guys make their living. I guess I'll see this car around very soon so...

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
It really doesn't take much to bend these newer cars. Especially when they bounce off a guard rail or concrete divider.
That's not true. They will crumple on the crumple zones but trust me the bulk of the car will remain straight, these things are immensely rigid.
What may look like an extensive damage on the exterior (and certainly this isn't) it's not said it's structural. These cars length are 20% crumple zones...

The real issue in the US is the system used by insurances and overinflated shop prices. How can Ford build this for less that it takes to repair the 10% of it?

Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Whaat? 15k for a couple of plastic bumpers, two bonnets, a quarter panel and some welding sticks?
Wouldn't be cheaper over here and I doubt it would be any different in Italy.
That's just a lot of man hours driving the cost.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
I've had a shunt at the front like that in the UK. I think about $4000 for the front, probably the same for the back at dealer prices.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't be cheaper over here and I doubt it would be any different in Italy.
That's just a lot of man hours driving the cost.
It would be way, way cheaper. Like half cheaper.
Let's say 2.500 for the parts (made a quick search for major OE parts) and 5.000 for the labour (and I'm including coffee breaks).

If you think that our Polish friends buy the parts from China and their work standards are way lower...
I'm not saying it's smart or good. I have a lot of friends who bought cars from Lithuania repaired the way we know and I can assure you I call them "carnival carts". The repair standard is horribly low.
Probably our Polish friends can do it for 3.000...

But the system in the US is just wrong.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
That's not true. They will crumple on the crumple zones but trust me the bulk of the car will remain straight, these things are immensely rigid.
What may look like an extensive damage on the exterior (and certainly this isn't) it's not said it's structural. These cars length are 20% crumple zones...

The real issue in the US is the system used by insurances and overinflated shop prices. How can Ford build this for less that it takes to repair the 10% of it?
Is that is your opinion or information from personal experience?

I've been in the collision industry for almost 30 years. You are correct on the "crumple zones" but they are in front of and behind the passenger compartment. The most rigid part of todays modern unibody vehicles is the passenger area. Crumple zones are designed to crush/fold mostly when they are impacted directly from the front or rear, not a sideways impact. I've seen hits similar to this so many times where the front end is swung over and the structure is not safely repairable and has to be replaced. This is where most vehicles older than 5 years typically will total out due to the cost.

I hope the damage to this vehicle is not as bad as it looks based on the limited photos provided by the OP:

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Is that is your opinion or information from personal experience?

I've been in the collision industry for almost 30 years. You are correct on the "crumple zones" but they are in front of and behind the passenger compartment. The most rigid part of todays modern unibody vehicles is the passenger area. Crumple zones are designed to crush/fold mostly when they are impacted directly from the front or rear, not a sideways impact. I've seen hits similar to this so many times where the front end is swung over and the structure is not safely repairable and has to be replaced. This is where most vehicles older than 5 years typically will total out due to the cost.

I hope the damage to this vehicle is not as bad as it looks based on the limited photos provided by the OP:
I have to admit it's personal experience, so I will rely on your judgment because it's certainly better informed than mine.

Still, I expect someone ramming into a car to twist the unibody.... let's hope the best for the OP.
Sponsored