ImBetterDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
Hey all,

I own a 2015 RS2 with Roush's P2 blower kit, BAP, catback and wheels.

I spent $900 by buying an nGauge from VMP and their custom tune. Seems what I actually bought was a canned tune from VMP as they're not requesting any datalogs or anything, just plug and play.

Is this standard? In the past it's been back and forth with the tuner as they calibrate it based on my car's needs, location and environment, etc etc. ???
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Everything is canned until you datalog for them. Most of the time it will run just fine, especially since we're now 5/6 years into the platform so most things have been figured out pretty well for the majority of people. If you notice anything, contact them for help and see what parameters they want on the log.

OP
OP

ImBetterDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
Is it normal that they tell me I don't need to datalog, just plug and play?

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
If you are comfortable with logging do a couple 4th gear pulls and send it to them. If it’s good your done and it you need a revision they will send you one. I personally would want my supercharged car logged and reviewed regardless of how many they have tuned. jmo

Sponsored

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
I don't think vmp has a good names when it comes to canned tune. Imo change tuner if you care for your motor/trans to last

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the thing, these cars have so much flexibility in them that once the setup is vetted it will "work" on 99% of the similar cars. Fueling is handled via the widebands and is basically closed loop at all times with a large range of combustibility via the fuel trims. Gen 2 has 2 knock sensors (gen3 has 4) so the knock sensors have a good range of timing adjustment and can adjust very quickly. Lastly, the stock tune on these cars is pretty damn good from the factory. You don't need to mess with much to have a good running car.

Now, with that said you should always do at least one or two data logs just to make sure nothing is messed up. Not saying you will get a revision, but for piece of mind it is something everyone should do after loading a tune.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Agree, with such a basic setup (even supercharged) and the vast array of sensors in the ECU there's little that they actually need to change. Back in the day before closed loop WOT and widebands stock, you *HAD* to datalog to make sure that fueling is on-point. But now you don't really have to worry about that, as as long as you have the right combo of parts and they are in working order then you will always have the correct fueling.

Same with knock and part throttle fueling, with the 2/4 knock senors and calibrated MAF you don't have to worry about having issues there.

Here's the thing, these cars have so much flexibility in them that once the setup is vetted it will "work" on 99% of the similar cars. Fueling is handled via the widebands and is basically closed loop at all times with a large range of combustibility via the fuel trims. Gen 2 has 2 knock sensors (gen3 has 4) so the knock sensors have a good range of timing adjustment and can adjust very quickly. Lastly, the stock tune on these cars is pretty damn good from the factory. You don't need to mess with much to have a good running car.

Now, with that said you should always do at least one or two data logs just to make sure nothing is messed up. Not saying you will get a revision, but for piece of mind it is something everyone should do after loading a tune.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Agree, with such a basic setup (even supercharged) and the vast array of sensors in the ECU there's little that they actually need to change. Back in the day before closed loop WOT and widebands stock, you *HAD* to datalog to make sure that fueling is on-point. But now you don't really have to worry about that, as as long as you have the right combo of parts and they are in working order then you will always have the correct fueling.

Same with knock and part throttle fueling, with the 2/4 knock senors and calibrated MAF you don't have to worry about having issues there.
Agreed, and with this particular setup the OP has it is most likely the Roush cal being used which is more or less OEM.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Is it normal that they tell me I don't need to datalog, just plug and play?
I got the same tune a couple of months ago and was wondering the same thing. I might have even recommended them to you in another thread. I only did a couple data logs since I got the tune back. I didn't really push the car too hard, but the logs looked good to me so far. I also put in 3 ounces of Boostane for each tank just to some insurance.

Did you get the car on the dyno yet?

Post some logs we can compare notes.

Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think they have it dialed in because it’s a common enough setup that they have tuned many of them.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
When I first went with AED some years ago I did a lot of data logging for Shaun. Base tune, then long tubes, then transitioning to flex / e. All had some basic logging to dial it in. I feel some take this approach. But others like Lund likely have tunes ready to go to for specific mod lists that they then tweak and send revisions based on logs as needed.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I think they have it dialed in because it’s a common enough setup that they have tuned many of them.
Anytime there is a transfer of information like in a tune, I would think there is always reason for someone who may know what they are looking for to make sure everything was downloaded/uploaded correctly. Even if its the most basic of tunes, a few minutes of datalogging/reviewing can be the difference in a motor lasting or motor swapping

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anytime there is a transfer of information like in a tune, I would think there is always reason for someone who may know what they are looking for to make sure everything was downloaded/uploaded correctly. Even if its the most basic of tunes, a few minutes of datalogging/reviewing can be the difference in a motor lasting or motor swapping
I agree completely. You would think they would want a log just to make sure everything loaded properly and it’s running as expected. I would if I had sent someone a tune.
I did a log and reviewed it. Everything looks good to me so far. I plan to do a few more once I have more time to drive it. Some people would know what to look for in a log.
Sponsored