Sponsored

Custom S550 Phone Docking Station

joleobee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys/girls, I have been working on a nice clean looking custom phone docking station for our cars. It sits in the coin holder right in front of the shifter and bolts down using the 2 pre-existing screws there so it won't go anywhere during spirited driving. It's got a couple of spring loaded clips to hold any phone from an iphone 5 to an iphone 11 pro max with a case. (Working on usb-c version as well for non-iphone users). Only thing is, it blocks some of the A/C controls when the phone is docked and access to the cigarette lighter (cig door can still be opened, just not all cig plugs adapters will fit without some kind of extension).

I've test fitted the dock on a GT350 with toggle switches, it clears them just fine.

Anyways, what you guys think?

dyfDCnS.png

gEF2kHz.png

Older prototype shown, newer one has enough space for most thinner cases. Excludes battery pack style cases and big otterboxes.
p3LVqQF.jpg

7u0oafx.jpg
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Great effort but not for me. It’s to low and blocks to many controls. I also use my phone in landscape mode for a dash cam.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Looks neat, but does block a bit too much for me to consider using it. Is there space to route a cable through there so that you could have Android Auto or Car Play connected too?

OP
OP

joleobee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Looks neat, but does block a bit too much for me to consider using it. Is there space to route a cable through there so that you could have Android Auto or Car Play connected too?
I don't have carplay/android auto in my car, which USB port is used for it? The way I have the dock setup, is to plug into this one.
yLoifOL.jpg

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have carplay/android auto in my car, which USB port is used for it? The way I have the dock setup, is to plug into this one.
I think either one can be used, I use the center console box though. I just meant if there was a space for the cable to fit underneath the phone which it definitely looks like you addressed then.

Sponsored

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver Mustang GT 5.0
I like it. I’d be down to purchase one. I have sync3, and use the toggles occasionally.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Only way I would use it would be if there were some sort of hinge mechanism that allowed me to fold down the phone to get to the buttons behind it. Impressive that you did this on your own though.

OP
OP

joleobee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Only way I would use it would be if there were some sort of hinge mechanism that allowed me to fold down the phone to get to the buttons behind it. Impressive that you did this on your own though.
That's actually a pretty cool idea. But its super easy to dock and undock if you really had to switch a toggle on and off or press one of the other buttons.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Pretty cool idea, if I was better at CAD design I would have made one and printed it a while ago lol. What about making one with landscape orientation? That should take care of covering the controls and that spot can hold a note 9 in landscape with a case(although not securely lol).

Sponsored
OP
OP

joleobee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Pretty cool idea, if I was better at CAD design I would have made one and printed it a while ago lol. What about making one with landscape orientation? That should take care of covering the controls and that spot can hold a note 9 in landscape with a case(although not securely lol).
landscape would be a good idea too, i just don't think it would look as clean and as easy to dock.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
landscape would be a good idea too, i just don't think it would look as clean and as easy to dock.
I really would just want to have a place to sit the phone and be able to plug in since i use apple carplay

OP
OP

joleobee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I really would just want to have a place to sit the phone and be able to plug in since i use apple carplay
Just to confirm, since I don't have apple car play in my base, the usb plug under the start button works for car play?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Cool idea. I am thinking to do the same, but it will fit in the arm-rest compartment. An angled cradle to hold the phone. I have a Note 8 and it's really long at 6-3/8". Doesn't fit well in there even without a charging plug.
Sponsored