Cueball shifter

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
The cueball shifter is made of plastic, no? Certainly feels like it. Any options out there that are made with better material?
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Could be. I would have guessed a ceramic type of material. I have also had thoughts about changing it but haven’t found anything I like as much as the looks of the stock one. Do you know if it comes off easy without damage?

OP
OP
stageron

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
Could be. I would have guessed a ceramic type of material. I have also had thoughts about changing it but haven’t found anything I like as much as the looks of the stock one. Do you know if it comes off easy without damage?
No idea, I was just wondering what it was made of. I'm sure it just screws off but would be careful because of the reverse lock out. I think it looks great but it just feels like plastic to me.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No idea, I was just wondering what it was made of. I'm sure it just screws off but would be careful because of the reverse lock out. I think it looks great but it just feels like plastic to me.
I had one similar that I put in a previous mustang and it showed up damaged from the manufacturer. It seemed like a ceramic material inside based on the pieces that were in the box. That’s the only thing I could think of other than plastic.

Sponsored

gfitzge2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mach 1 M1545
The cueball shifter is made of plastic, no? Certainly feels like it. Any options out there that are made with better material?
You were expecting what? Ivory?

" In 1907, American chemist Phelan Leo Baekeland invented a new plastic-like substance called Bakelite. Unlike Hyatt's pool balls, balls made of Bakelite were durable, easy to produce, and didn't carry the risk of blowing up the game. By the mid-1920s, the majority of pool balls were being made out of Bakelite. Today's pool balls are usually made of acrylic or plastic resins, which are extremely durable and can be milled to exacting standards. "

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

" In 1907, American chemist Phelan Leo Baekeland invented a new plastic-like substance called Bakelite. Unlike Hyatt's pool balls, balls made of Bakelite were durable, easy to produce, and didn't carry the risk of blowing up the game. By the mid-1920s, the majority of pool balls were being made out of Bakelite. Today's pool balls are usually made of acrylic or plastic resins, which are extremely durable and can be milled to exacting standards. "
Mmmmmmmmm love me some Bakelite! Oh wait wrong thread…..

B26FF779-B43E-4E69-9E6A-954C48F9DA63.jpeg

OP
OP
stageron

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)

Not expecting anything just wondering what it was made of. I thought it was plastic and looking for confirmation. But thanks, now I know all I need to know about pool balls.

GotNotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Z71
I don’t like the cueball knob. I am switching mine to the leather gt350 knob.

Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
How about putting an old school Hurst shifter on the M1, I had this custom made bracket for the TR-6060.

IMG_4554 2.jpg

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about putting an old school Hurst shifter on the M1, I had this custom made bracket for the TR-6060.

IMG_4554 2.jpg
I like the look of that the only problem is the shifter is already mounted so high with that stick the shift knob would be at eye level lol. But never mind all that let’s see some more pictures of the rest of that car!

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Not expecting anything just wondering what it was made of. I thought it was plastic and looking for confirmation. But thanks, now I know all I need to know about pool balls.
If it shares the same knob as the Bullitt, it’s plastic. My threads disintegrated the same day after I reinstalled it on my Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter. It was tight at first and after a 30 minute drive, I noticed copper looking dust (turned out to be all of the threads except for a couple), around my shifter boot and the knob was loose. It does have a little weight to it though. I replaced mine with a Steeda knob which is also plastic, but lighter weight.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Could be. I would have guessed a ceramic type of material. I have also had thoughts about changing it but haven’t found anything I likeas much as the looks of the stock one. Do you know if it comes off easy without damage?
It comes off easily by putting it in gear and twisting it off by hand without any damage. I determined that the reason my threads disintegrated was due to the design of the Steeda shift lever’s threaded area, which has a taper on the end of it, whereas the factory lever did not. In addition, Steeda supplied a piece of rubber with their shifter which needs to be cut to length and inserted into the knob before threading it onto the lever. When I installed the new knob I used a jam nut and some blue loctite and it is on there very tight now. I would probably end up damaging it if I had to get it off again. BTW, the new knob has a brass threaded insert inside, instead of plastic threads like the factory one.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
If it shares the same knob as the Bullitt, it’s plastic. My threads disintegrated the same day after I reinstalled it on my Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter. It was tight at first and after a 30 minute drive, I noticed copper looking dust (turned out to be all of the threads except for a couple), around my shifter boot and the knob was loose. It does have a little weight to it though. I replaced mine with a Steeda knob which is also plastic, but lighter weight.
I think it may be resin. I did like the feel of it when I owned the 19 bullitt but remember it was slightly loose in the summer heat but was easy to tighten without damaging. It's definitely not aluminum as that one was used on the 2001 and 2008 bullitts. I remember how freaking hot they would get in the summer and would point the a/c vent down towards it or sometimes remove it on really hot days.

Note: carry a pot holder! Lol
Sponsored