Sponsored

Crankcase Breather Filters

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
You still need a catch can on the passenger side too. All DI engines do, some more than others. My Ecoboost engines actually catch way more oil than the catch can on my coyote, because the Ecoboost is boosted...but I do catch a small amount of oil in the one of my 5.0 L...but its not much. I had one on the drivers side for approx 1k miles, the inside of the catch can was bone dry, so I took it off and re-sold it. On an n/a coyote, nothing is needed on the drivers side at all...
Nope. Don’t need it. Next...

Have run breathers on both Gen1 and Gen3 coyotes with zero issues and no mess n/a. No catch cans.
Sponsored

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
If the Coyote doesn't need a catch can on the driver side, then why does the Voodoo need one?

Over on the road race/HPDE/auto-x board there are coyote guys running dual cans.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
If the Coyote doesn't need a catch can on the driver side, then why does the Voodoo need one?

Over on the road race/HPDE/auto-x board there are coyote guys running dual cans.
Under severe track driving and high rpm use, it is possible for oil can come out the driver side. I can attest to that. For 99% of mustang owners with an NA setup... is it necessary? Not at all in my opinion and you may find that most people daily driving their cars or even doing light track driving have zero oil in the driver side separator. For a daily driven car with light track driving, passenger side oil separator is all that is needed. Breathers venting to the atmosphere is unnecessary.

I would assume the GT350 has a bolt on option for the driver side since it was designed to be a high revving engine that may also experience the type of track driving that would cause oil to come out the driver side, with a big emphasis on may.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
You still need a catch can on the passenger side too. All DI engines do, some more than others. My Ecoboost engines actually catch way more oil than the catch can on my coyote, because the Ecoboost is boosted...but I do catch a small amount of oil in the one of my 5.0 L...but its not much. I had one on the drivers side for approx 1k miles, the inside of the catch can was bone dry, so I took it off and re-sold it. On an n/a coyote, nothing is needed on the drivers side at all...
Were you using the same brand catch can on both cars? I noticed I got a whole lot more oil from my 90k mile 630rwhp CTS-V2 than my mustang but I was using a moroso can on the V and JLT on the Mustang. I got like 12 oz of oil per 5k miles on that V, maybe 2 oz per 5k miles on the mustang.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Were you using the same brand catch can on both cars? I noticed I got a whole lot more oil from my 90k mile 630rwhp CTS-V2 than my mustang but I was using a moroso can on the V and JLT on the Mustang. I got like 12 oz of oil per 5k miles on that V, maybe 2 oz per 5k miles on the mustang.
No. I used a Damond Motorsports OCC on my FoST and my FiST, and I have a JLT on my coyote. I don't get much on my passenger side at all, maybe an ounce or two every oil change.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. I used a Damond Motorsports OCC on my FoST and my FiST, and I have a JLT on my coyote. I don't get much on my passenger side at all, maybe an ounce or two every oil change.
For some reason I think the JLT may be less effective than some other designs, the filter isnt as dense as some catch cans, but I dont have anything to compare the amount caught to other than my old car.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
For some reason I think the JLT may be less effective than some other designs, the filter isnt as dense as some catch cans, but I dont have anything to compare the amount caught to other than my old car.
There's nothing wrong with the JLT. Don't worry about it, these 3rd gen coyote's don't lose much oil, pretty much everyone has the same experience if you ask them, a JLT catch can with only a couple ozs of oil in it at oil change...

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
on my old 4v cobra i ran breathers on both sides. made a mess on track days. never again.

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I barely get an ounce of oil in my passenger side JLT catch can. It's the weirdest thing. Yet, when I swapped intake manifolds, there was a small pool of oil sitting at the bottom of the stock intake manifold.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I barely get an ounce of oil in my passenger side JLT catch can. It's the weirdest thing. Yet, when I swapped intake manifolds, there was a small pool of oil sitting at the bottom of the stock intake manifold.
How many miles were on your car when you added the JLT? I think mine had 300 break-in miles on it when I put mine on but I havent removed the intake manifold. I sold my moroso but if I hadnt sold it I would test it and compared the amount caught to the JLT.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles were on your car when you added the JLT? I think mine had 300 break-in miles on it when I put mine on but I havent removed the intake manifold. I sold my moroso but if I hadnt sold it I would test it and compared the amount caught to the JLT.
I don't remember the exact miles, but I installed it back when I bought the car in 2015.

I just changed my oil and drained the catch can, so now I can accurately keep track of the oil in the catch can and mileage. I'll report back in like a year, lol.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to revive this, but did OP @Joe 5.0 ever buy a kit? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts and get an update. I want to buy a breather but there isn't a whole lot of info on them for Coyotes or videos showing what needs to be removed or done.

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to revive this, but did OP @Joe 5.0 ever buy a kit? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts and get an update. I want to buy a breather but there isn't a whole lot of info on them for Coyotes or videos showing what needs to be removed or done.
Hey, I never purchased a kit. Decided to continue rocking my catch can.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, I never purchased a kit. Decided to continue rocking my catch can.
Aight, thanks for the reply. I really have no use for one, but if they have some slight benefits and they provide a nice aesthetic, I thought I'd look into them more.

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Aight, thanks for the reply. I really have no use for one, but if they have some slight benefits and they provide a nice aesthetic, I thought I'd look into them more.
I've been thinking of buying a cheap eBay / Amazon catch can and making my own setup for the driver's side with some vacuum line and hose clamps. Also something to consider instead of the breathers. You'll save a few beans, too.
Sponsored