Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I do agree with the comments about the NA version. If you look at the Dodge's and Chevys that are NA, the 5.0 hangs in there 0-60 and qtr mile wise with much larger displacement motors.
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I can remember when I had about a thousand miles on my Bullitt,as I live in a very remote area of the upper peninsula of Michigan, there's a stretch that has no driveways, no houses, and no people of at least five miles. I was absolutely amazed as I watch the speedometer climb up to 147 miles an hour naturally aspirated and still pulling. When I hit 130 I just couldn't believe the car was still accelerating fairly decent when I hit 147 I let off the gas thinking I must be nuts and it was very little float in the suspension. My only concern was hitting a deer or a bear or a cougar or a wolf. But it pulled right up to Red line in every gear unlike my 16 which kind of fizzles out at about 6,500.

A fantastic engine weather blown or naturally aspirated. Looking very much forward to the Mach One with a tremec in it.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Excellent article. I learned a lot!
I was particularly interested to learn about a few aspects of the 2011 motor that were unique. I knew about the oil squirters vs. the plasma coating but there were a few other changes that I didn't know about. For whatever it's worth, my June 2010 build 2011 GT was absolutely flawless with a *gasp* Bama tune and constant "enthusiastic" driving for 40k miles at the time that I sold it. I LOVED that engine!

I was also surprised to hear that the gen 2 had some significant drawbacks as I always had the impression that these were the best of the three for making big power numbers on stock internals.

Did I miss it or was there not a peep about the infamous "typewriter tick?" My 2011 and my 2020 sound exactly the same in that regard.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Excellent article. I learned a lot!
I was particularly interested to learn about a few aspects of the 2011 motor that were unique. I knew about the oil squirters vs. the plasma coating but there were a few other changes that I didn't know about. For whatever it's worth, my June 2010 build 2011 GT was absolutely flawless with a *gasp* Bama tune and constant "enthusiastic" driving for 40k miles at the time that I sold it. I LOVED that engine!

I was also surprised to hear that the gen 2 had some significant drawbacks as I always had the impression that these were the best of the three for making big power numbers on stock internals.

Did I miss it or was there not a peep about the infamous "typewriter tick?" My 2011 and my 2020 sound exactly the same in that regard.
The gen2 and the gen3 can hold about the same power stock

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The gen2 and the gen3 can hold about the same power stock
which is to say; ridiculous power.

The short head bolts seem to be a worry on the Gen2...first I heard of that so maybe it’s not a huge deal?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
It was a lot of good information and some miss information
Yeah, not 100% confident on that story. First, the "Coyote" name is used for GT350 and GT500 references and then under the Gen3 section it says " Despite all of its performance modifications and the addition of port fuel injection" ... The Gen3 had the addition of DIRECT injection, not port.

A good read overall (for as far as I got before I got turned off with the mistakes anyway).

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
It was a very interesting read. And in every single article there aren't any accuracies. I mean dealt with the press myself many times, I don't ever remember an article where I was quoted accurately. That said when was deciding to put a supercharger on my 2018 Mustang, I called and spoke with Whipple at Great length as I had installed one on my Bullitt a year before. I think it may have been Dustin but I'm not sure who told me that he thought the Gen 2 engines were stronger than the Gen 3 for supercharging. I don't have any more details than that.

Sponsored

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
The Gen I 5.0L Coyote engine was able to create as much power as a 6.4L Hemi with a significantly smaller displacement.
I don’t think it did... wasn’t the 392 rated at 485hp?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
It was a very interesting read. And in every single article there aren't any accuracies. I mean dealt with the press myself many times, I don't ever remember an article where I was quoted accurately. That said when was deciding to put a supercharger on my 2018 Mustang, I called and spoke with Whipple at Great length as I had installed one on my Bullitt a year before. I think it may have been Dustin but I'm not sure who told me that he thought the Gen 2 engines were stronger than the Gen 3 for supercharging. I don't have any more details than that.
Gen2 and gen3 use the same rods, pistons, crank, bearings. Both pistons are about the same strength. Now the gen3 cylinder coating is a problem but gen2 cylinder blows apart under high cylinder pressure like supercharger or turbo or even nitrous sometimes. So I would say that the bottom end is equal. You can use any gen bottom end in any year coyote car very easily

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
which is to say; ridiculous power.

The short head bolts seem to be a worry on the Gen2...first I heard of that so maybe it’s not a huge deal?
Gen2 head bolts are not a issue until 1000+ hp. When I build a gen2 I have it drilled and tapped for gen1 head bolts
Sponsored