Sponsored

Coolant below minimum line

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a used 16 ecoboost. Car is running perfectly *knock on wood*. When I open the hood, I notice the coolant is under the minimum line. I think it was above the minimum line when I got it 3 months ago. My car was not used the whole day. Should I buy coolant from the manual and fill up to the maximum line? Sorry for the dumb question.. thanks!
IMG_20190710_204145~2.jpg
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Just buy a gallon of the pre-diluted mix from the dealership and fill it up and keep an eye on it for the next few months. Mine was similar from when it was new and I never had any issues because of it, but I did pretty much do a flush when I swapped my intakes and thermostat.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
In my experience it is normal for even healthy modern "sealed" systems to gradually lose small amounts of coolant over several months or lots of miles, especially in hot weather. Simply top it up with 50/50 mix and monitor. Of course you should also look for the telltale stains that a very slow coolant leak leaves.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Probably nothing to really be concerned with right now, but definitely keep an eye on it once you top it off. Coolant has a sweet smell that's pretty strong when the engine is hot. So if you smell something from around the car, that could be an indication of a small leak somewhere. But if it's just dripping every once in a while, it won't be found via a sniff test.

You could put some dye in the system, that way if the coolant level gets low again, you could either find the leak yourself, or take it to a shop, and they could easily find it.

https://www.amazon.com/FJC-4926-Universal-Radiator-Coolant/dp/B0049MEDJ4

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In my experience it is normal for even healthy modern "sealed" systems to gradually lose small amounts of coolant over several months or lots of miles, especially in hot weather. Simply top it up with 50/50 mix and monitor. Of course you should also look for the telltale stains that a very slow coolant leak leaves.

^^^^ He’s right. Just keep an eye on it and if it’s worrying you, check for any damp spots around hose ends, front timing cover/water pump, the radiator end tanks and on back side of road core.

wilp99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2018 F250 Lariat power stroke
Don't fill it to the "MAX Line" when cold. It will be over filled when it gets hot. Just top it off to the "MIN Line" when its cold. As the fluid gets hot it expands which is why the level rises when hot.
Sponsored