Convertible vs Coupe performance

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Curious on facts or educated opinions. How much does the extra weight and potentially inferior aerodynamics affect our cars vs an equally optioned coupe? I’m not a drag or road racer but just curious. For example, if we pulled up next to an equal coupe with equal driver skill, and did a roll race, would there be a noticeable difference?
Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Curious on facts or educated opinions. How much does the extra weight and potentially inferior aerodynamics affect our cars vs an equally optioned coupe? I’m not a drag or road racer but just curious. For example, if we pulled up next to an equal coupe with equal driver skill, and did a roll race, would there be a noticeable difference?
Yes, we would look much cooler with the top down than any hardtop. :)

OP
OP

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I assumed so. Not a buzzkill for me. Didn’t buy the car with the intention of tracking it, but curiosity still set in about it. Are we talking close loss or walk fest?

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
I assumed so. Not a buzzkill for me. Didn’t buy the car with the intention of tracking it, but curiosity still set in about it. Are we talking close loss or walk fest?
My ‘18 A10 against a ‘15 coupe would be a walk fest in my favor. And I would look cooler with the top down :sunglasses:

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Im betting it's a drivers race up to 70mph or so, with the added weight of the vert offset by more traction. After that, the coupe gains a significant aero advantage and walks.

Unless as noted before 18+ vs 15-17 in which case it takes the older car quite a distance to catch up.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I'm sure that all things being equal, the convertible is at a disadvantage in most performance circumstances. However, I, and probably a lot of convertible owners, didn't buy their car for ultimate performance, as that would likely have just proved disappointing. Instead, I bought it for the sheer pleasure of dropping the top and enjoying the scenery, so to me, there's not much point in debating the performance variance. I always say, "It's not how fast I get there, it's how I look when I arrive."©

OP
OP

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure that all things being equal, the convertible is at a disadvantage in most performance circumstances. However, I, and probably a lot of convertible owners, didn't buy their car for ultimate performance, as that would likely have just proved disappointing. Instead, I bought it for the sheer pleasure of dropping the top and enjoying the scenery, so to me, there's not much point in debating the performance variance. I always say, "It's not how fast I get there, it's how I look when I arrive."©
I hear ya, man. That's why I bought mine too, with a lot of nudging from my wife. Coming from drag/road/auto-x racing for years and aside from my old S2000, which also had a hardtop, I was always a super anti-convertible guy. I just thought they looked kind of wimpy. I've had a motorcycle the last couple years that I was about done riding (thanks to people looking at phones more than road) and after a long test drive in the convertible Mustang, I totally understood it and loved it. I still like the overall look of a coupe more, top down or up. BUT, it's tough to beat the feel and sensation of open air driving. It definitely makes up for where it falls short in other areas.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
I still like the overall look of a coupe more, top down or up.
Sure, when you’re _outside_ of the car, but what counts is what you like when you are _inside_ the car... Plus with the top down it’s easier to see the coupes driving by. :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Sure, when you’re _outside_ of the car, but what counts is what you like when you are _inside_ the car... Plus with the top down it’s easier to see the coupes driving by. :like:
Haha, totally agree!

Derek's GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I bought my 16 Black Accent Vert because of wife, otherwise I'd have a coupe. But, i will slowly but surely make this a competitive N/A Mustang against any other N/A Mustang. No need to settle with a drop top to look at the sky. Why not have the best of both worlds?? And I'll still daily drive it.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Convertibles are less torsionally stiff than coupes by a fair margin.

Not related but where I live you’d never see the differences between the two body styles on the road, you’d need to be on a track to see it.

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
A couple of tidbits you might find interesting:
- In my '19 ecoboost at highway speeds, I get better mileage with the top down, indicating it's more aero in that configuration. So, if you're thinking aero as it relates to performance, top down might be the choice. Of course this could change at higher (or lower) speeds, as aero isn't necessarily a linear thing.
- Also, I roughly calculated/guestimated that with the top down, the weight distribution on my eco is approaching 50/50. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has measured this. Good weight distribution was reflected in my driving impression when I test drove two GT convertibles and two eco convertibles. After driving British roadsters for 40+ years, I gravitated to the eco over the GT because it seemed a bit more like a sports car than the GT, while the GT gave me some muscle car feel. However, I wouldn't kick a PP GT out of bed for eating crackers.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
They have big, nasty superchargers that just bolt right on if you're the least bit worried about it. Just bought a '16 GT/CS convertible with this already installed.
thumbnail1.jpg
Sponsored