Sponsored

Impressions: Coupe to Convertible

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
I recently traded in my 2015 manual coupe for a 2017 auto convertible. I figured I would share my thoughts.

1. Love the seat belt placement when not hooked through seat. No matter how I adjusted my 2015 coupe, it would dig into my neck. Almost worth the switch by itself. Am I kidding? I am not sure myself.

2. Sync 3 is awesome! I like Waze on the big display via Android Auto. Spotify, Pandora, Audible, 3rd party audiobook reader, google maps all work with it. Source selection is one or two presses shorter than with old car. No mashing hard to register touches.

3. Gas mileage is not as good. I have driven with the top down and in sport mode 80% of the time. 2015 coupe manual with Steeda tune averaged 19-20mpg. I always I am getting 17.4 right now.

4. My wife LOVES!!! the convertible. Happy wife= happy life.

5. My kids like that it is easier to get in and out of the back seats. They are 16 and 14yo girls and are small little things. Space is fine for them. They complain that they lost their armrests in the back. That looks to be the biggest difference in the back.

6. Trunk space is good. I bought a liner from zipnz here on the forum right before I switched cars. Guess what? It fit the coupe and the convertible perfectly. So I guess the convertible trunk is just shallower. I went to a cars and coffee and shot the breeze with a 2017 Camero convertible owner. I admired his tonneau cover. He said it was great but I should have a look at his trunk. I did. It was tiny. He said he could not fit camp chairs in it with the top down. Yikes.

7. Top is very quiet. I was surprised at the lack of noise. I have not been in a soft top in a while.

8. I have a pretty bad vibration. 60mph and up. I noticed it immediately and drove into the service bay to have it looked at. They wanted me to put 500 miles on it before diagnosing it. Flat spotted tires from sitting on the lot was their opinion. I now have 2000 miles and the vibration has not lessened or changed. I am pretty sure that it will end up being a drive shaft problem. going in Friday to start the process.

9. I am no audiophile. The stereo is plenty loud enough for me when driving with the top down at 80mph. Sirius continues to be the worst sounding of all inputs.

10. Magnetic Metallic color seems to be less of law enforcement magnet than the Competition Orange.

That is all I can think of for now. I am happy to answer any questions.
Sponsored

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
I say #4 is the make or break it deal ;)
But the vert was in the making all along for me :thumbsup:

I'm happy for you that you like the open concept. And jelly you have sync 3, it's the one thing I wish I did have.

As for the vibration, wheels or drivetrain should be the culprit. How long was it sitting?

:cheers:

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
One more thing, top down and in sport mode for the win :first:
I never look at the MPG :lol:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Definitely get the tires re balanced a few times, mine I had the driveshaft replaced, but it did not go away until I had the tires re balanced a few times. Fourth time was the charm, smooth as silk now.

OP
OP
yessirrom

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I say #4 is the make or break it deal ;)
But the vert was in the making all along for me :thumbsup:

I'm happy for you that you like the open concept. And jelly you have sync 3, it's the one thing I wish I did have.

As for the vibration, wheels or drivetrain should be the culprit. How long was it sitting?

:cheers:
It was not sitting that long. I believe it was built in May. It does not feel like tires. Not really vibrating the wheel. I can place my hand on the roof and feel the vibration like crazy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
yessirrom

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely get the tires re balanced a few times, mine I had the driveshaft replaced, but it did not go away until I had the tires re balanced a few times. Fourth time was the charm, smooth as silk now.
Good to know.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Congrats...what size wheels do you have? Mine came with the "20's and it had a bad vibration from the time we left the lot. After we got back home in La., bought it in Katy, Tx. we took it to the dealer here and had atleast one tire out of balance. Afterwards, I drove it for another 750 miles and to me it felt like it still had a mild vibration in it and general just rode rough. I swapped the 20's for 18's and it made it ride like a different car. The 20's looked much better, though.

I test drove an Expedition the other day with 20's and it felt the same.

OP
OP
yessirrom

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is as quiet as the coupe if not more so.

I have 19in wheels. I swapped from 18s to 19s on my 2015 and could feel the difference but this is a whole order of magnitude of vibration. They are scheduled to do some road force balancing on Friday. They have replacement tires on hand if they cannot get them balanced. Cross fingers.

Sponsored

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2013 V6 Premium convertible (will be my dad's car when I get my '18). My '18 will be a coupe. And I'm excited. I never drive with the top down a lot and the fact that I get to do everything to my new car I wasn't able to do to my '13 is pretty amazing! Plus, we will keep my '13 and my mom plans on getting a BMW 4 series convertible. No reason to have 3 convertibles :)

OP
OP
yessirrom

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11. Insurance was actually slightly cheaper than an identically optioned coupe. Same color, same everything just not convertible. $80 per six months cheaper. Go figure. Do convertibles crash less?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It is as quiet as the coupe if not more so.
I don't put my top up that often, but when I do, I'm always amazed at how quiet and comfortable it is.

11. Insurance was actually slightly cheaper than an identically optioned coupe. Same color, same everything just not convertible. $80 per six months cheaper. Go figure. Do convertibles crash less?
I'm sure that's a contributing factor. They're bought more as cruisers, that combined with the price point, I'd suspect the average owner age is a bit higher as well (regardless of who / who isn't a safe driver, statistically, older = less projected accidents).

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Alot of people think there is a big drop off with convertibles in terms of performance and NVH. Just isnt so with these cars.

fwiw I have 20's on my car and it's smooth as silk.

Congrats on the purchase!

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Speaking from a nightmare experience (not on my Mustang), (most) dealers will avoid admitting flat spots on tires. It is one of the only things NOT covered by any warranty and they will need to eat the cost to fix it. They will do everything to get you to put as many miles on the tires hoping the flat spots will wear out, including re-balancing several times, ordering a drive shaft (which is always on back order), move the tires around. Everything except simply swap some new tires on it and see if the shake goes away. I almost punched a service tech once over this! And I'm a pretty mellow guy.
High performance tires are really susceptible to flat spots.
Sponsored