Convertible top maintenance

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
When I need to reapply the 303 or West Marine products (I've used both and they're pretty much the same), I wash and dry the car in the afternoon, let everything dry, then apply the top protectant and park the car in the garage overnight to allow that to dry. First thing in the morning, it's good to go.
Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Book marking this. Just got the 303 Top products for 40% off so gonna be trying it out for the 1st time. Hope it has as good as results as others here mention.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Man, top maintenance never even crossed my mind for the past 5 years. I just wash it with car washes and that’s it. Has anyone actually had frayed or deteriorating tops?

Last edited:

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Man, top maintenance never even crossed my mind for the past 5 years. I just wash it with car washes and that’s it. Has anyone actually had frayed or deteriorating topics?
If taken care of, should last a long time. But overtime weather elements will slowly break it down. It’s just a preventative measure to take. It’s not going to happen overnight. To get 303 or Ragtop and protect it yearly is what I’d suggest to do.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
If you are spending more than 10 minutes masking/protecting you are doing it wrong. Just trap thin plastic under top, add couple pieces to side/back and mask rear window.

20180924_114838.jpg
20180924_114829.jpg
It wasn't so much the masking time for me but that I wasn't happy with the coverage. When you brush it on, it's easy to tell where you've applied and that it's evenly applied. As I said, I was much happier with the performance of the product when brushed versus sprayed.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't so much the masking time for me but that I wasn't happy with the coverage. When you brush it on, it's easy to tell where you've applied and that it's evenly applied. As I said, I was much happier with the performance of the product when brushed versus sprayed.
Yes, completely understood and fair point. In other threads there are questions about the brush method versus 2 coats of spray which is more inline with manufacturers application recommendation.

Im just providing advice to make things easier for those who stick with spray.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Man, top maintenance never even crossed my mind for the past 5 years. I just wash it with car washes and that’s it. Has anyone actually had frayed or deteriorating tops?
The oldest S550's are only about five years old. Even with no extraordinary upkeep, they should be good for a few more before showing anything abnormal. I've got a good friend and he and his wife have kept convertibles for the last 15+ years and they exercise their top virtually every time they drive the car. They're in a Boxster S right now but it's only 3 to 4 years old. Their previous convertible was a 350Z roadster that they drove for over 10 years. They did do a top replacement on that car after 9 years or so but it saw a LOT of use compared to what the average folks do. I'm loving my Mustang convertible but I only run the top down when the weather, especially the temps, are within certain ranges. That means basically spring and fall mostly, as well as some days during the winter since winters in my part of the world are relatively mild. Summer months, I almost never drop the top during the day as I don't feel like broiling, but I'm not opposed to doing some night time cruising with the top down.

I like keeping my top treated with 303 or the West Marine products mentioned in this conversation. Whether or not it makes any significant difference in top longevity in the long run, I'll just have to wait and see, but I feel better knowing there's an extra bit of UV protection on the fabric and it's really cool seeing the water bead up and roll off the top like a freshly waxed paint job.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Yes, completely understood and fair point. In other threads there are questions about the brush method versus 2 coats of spray which is more inline with manufacturers application recommendation.

Im just providing advice to make things easier for those who stick with spray.
Totally agree with that sdiver68. I tried spraying the first couple of times I used it and it didn't seem to do anything. Not to mention all the overspray, masking or not. Brushing insured good coverage and the end result was much more satisfying.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
I find the 303 product keeps the dust sat on top and prevents it working into the fibres. Cleaning is therefore very easy, I use the soft brush attachment on the end of my Dyson, I drag the brush over gently and the dust just lifts straight off. I can vacuum the interior and the roof in 30-40 minutes even when it’s particularly mucky looking.

Sponsored

rzoltek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, Harley Superglide, Glastron Bayflite, Yamaha XT225, Yamaha Grizzly,
Comparing convertible top cleaning and protection products, they are specifically made for vinyl or cloth tops.
Is our 2015 and newer Mustang top cloth fabric? It is not vinyl anymore is it?
So 303 30520 kit, for example, is that for vinyl or cloth convertible top?

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Comparing convertible top cleaning and protection products, they are specifically made for vinyl or cloth tops.
It's sail cloth, same type of material they use on pirate ships

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
The 2015 and newer S550's are all fabric. You want the protectant designed for fabric, not vinyl.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
The 2015 and newer S550's are all fabric. You want the protectant designed for fabric, not vinyl.

There are several good products out there. I use Raggtop products, but have also had great success with the canvas treatment sold at West Marine. There is UV protection in the West Marine products.

CVCashmere

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
There are several good products out there. I use Raggtop products, but have also had great success with the canvas treatment sold at West Marine. There is UV protection in the West Marine products.

CVCashmere
Likewise! I've tried Raggtop, 303, and since I've had my Mustang, I discovered the West Marine. Between Raggtopp and 303, I tend to prefer the 303 although both are good. I think the West Marine is the best "bang for the buck." It works as well as the 303 and is noticeably cheaper.
Sponsored