Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium Convertible
Got these cover panels
4D2BF9E6-042A-4A86-B9AD-EDFF8189BAB2.jpeg
from Fleabay. Did not come with any instructions. Trying to figure out how this gets installed. Just now noticed listed for up to 2021. Mine is 2022. Maybe there was a change? Anyway, was just trying to make a smoother look and hide that gap when top is down. Any help is appreciated. I sure someone will tell me to throw them away.
Sponsored

vdngo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Van
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Donā€˜t know of there was a change; but on my ā€˜19, they fit over the gap exposing the mechanics perfectly. Just lay it over and snap in the tabs. If I get a chance Iā€™ll over it up and take a picā€¦ but did find this one if that helps.

C5758CF4-9245-4519-BC15-65F7F6CE9F02.jpeg

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
No change. I install mine by placing the small tab to the inside in the slot and twisting the outside edge underneath. You may want to check to make sure that you purchased late covers, the early ones have some edges that will damage the top material.

Xredmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, they will fit your 2022, first production of these covers gave Ford a lot of trouble with convertible owners. They did not have any or enough foam on the bottom of the cover and rubbed on the top while driving, creating fraying, worn material and chaffing in that area of the top, early on, some owners were able to get Ford to replace the convertible top under warranty, that, however became costly for Ford.
Second production from Ford ( same cover ) added extra foam on the bottom in that area that was causing the problem. Still some owners complained that the fix was not perfect and still causing some discoloration from friction on the top. In 2022, I believe Ford made this an option and the covers did not automatically come with the car so as to avoid complaints.

Sponsored

Xredmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a picture installed with the second generation covers.
Hello.jpg

OP
OP
PonyLance

PonyLance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies and pix. Finally got it figured out.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Boot? That's not a boot.

This is a boot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Convertible-Top-Boot-Padded-with-Snaps-1967-Black-TMI/181640171092

Took forever to put those things on. A dozen or more snaps, and if it wasn't warm outside, all the more fun trying to stretch it over the top well.

Even my last Terminator had one of those. I laughed when I found those side panels in the trunk when I bought the car. Then again, these tops fold so the outside of the top material faces up. You really did need to use the boot on the older ones if you wanted to keep the inside of the top from sun damage.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So I'm totally redoing the upholstery of my 2016 GT and I ordered extra loose material. I'm toying with the idea of fashioning some sort of boot similar to that, only it will match the racing stripes of the car. An maybe take it a step further and cover the entire back row to help with windage. We'll see how far that pipe dream goes!

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
The challenge is where do you put fasteners that looks clean and doesnā€™t interfere with top operation, particularly across the back.

Sponsored

inboundnebula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Inbound
Vehicle(s)
None
Quick question for everyone on this thread, did Ford include those for custom orders? Mine is a 2023 GT Premium Vert, but these side covers were not included and could not find them anywhere in the vehicle (asked the dealership to put all accessories in the trunk).

OP
OP
PonyLance

PonyLance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
Quick question for everyone on this thread, did Ford include those for custom orders? Mine is a 2023 GT Premium Vert, but these side covers were not included and could not find them anywhere in the vehicle (asked the dealership to put all accessories in the trunk).
Mine was a custom order too and did not have the covers. Could not find any of these through any Ford dealers on line, even with the Ford part numbers. Found them on eBay.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
They were supposedly discontinued with the 2021 model year. Having said that, mine was an early 2021 (first week of production) and it came with the covers. Dealer could only guess that the production line was still throwing them in the trunk for as long as they still had them on the shelf.

twbthird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP convertible, Ruby Red
Came with my '17, used them while driving home from the dealer, don't think I have used them since. I suppose if the car was going to be in a parade or something I might, but otherwise it is not worth the trouble.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
They were supposedly discontinued with the 2021 model year. Having said that, mine was an early 2021 (first week of production) and it came with the covers. Dealer could only guess that the production line was still throwing them in the trunk for as long as they still had them on the shelf.
That was my understanding. At the time, I suggested that Ford reads the forums too, and with the vast majority complaining about the covers and saying they donā€™t use them, Ford decided to delete them and keep the savings for their bottom line. I put mine on for long drives but not around town. They do help to keep the folded top material from moving around at higher speeds.
Sponsored