Considering Purchasing >20 Track Day 2017 Gt350 With Over 55k Miles

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I hate California...and yes i live in California. What if you put in an Arizona address then you "move" a week after you buy it....its not like they mail you the warranty....its all via email/online....when i bought my warranty from flood ford...they didn't ask for a copy of my vehicle registration....how would they know?
The selling dealer wouldn’t care but Ford and the state of California might. The car would have to be registered in the other state at the time of purchase.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Just playing devils advocate here....but if my car is paid off and not financed through Ford and I never bring it to a Ford dealership for service- does Ford know where my car is registered? I genuinely have no idea if they do or not.....

I mean what if I "rented" a room from someone I know in another state- and then I decided to end my rental agreement a week after buying the ESP? How would the state of CA know?

Sorry not arguing just having a little fun this Friday morning lol
No, I get it. I do not have an answer to this other then to say members who live in Florida have had issues with trying to do to this.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's a scam. Like cars in Florida are more likely to have a breakdown than other states? No. I'm sure the dealers fought to have this law put in effect. It's an example of lawmakers siding for big business vs the best interests of the consumer. For that reason, I'd have zero moral issues doing what I could to "live" in a different state.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No, I get it. I do not have an answer to this other then to say members who live in Florida have had issues with trying to do to this.
All I know is that when you bring your car in for service, the computer shows it covered or not. Maybe you are suggesting that the warranty gets voided and the money returned after the purchase of a warranty under these conditions?

I've heard of that. They audit every so many of these purchases for quality and review. If they see a problem, it is my understanding the transaction is voided and the money returned. If you make it past that, like I said, the computer shows you are covered or not.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Why not just go to a dealer in your state and get an extended warranty?

I have a '17 myself. Stuff is going to fail (And has on mine, with just 10k on the clock). When you say tracked, I assume big tracks. If so, I would probably look elsewhere for a car. But that's just me.

If you don't get a warranty, make sure you got money in the bank to get a new motor. Like $30k.

Sponsored

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
I know, I was all set to but in March of this year California passed a law banning the sale of warranties purchased out of state. Similar law in Florida. If you go to Flood Ford or the others who sell ESP, you can’t select California as an option. If I saw correctly, you can’t even buy from Ford directly unless you go to a dealer in state. Its so frustrating!

Hahaha oh no, where’s my mullet. Sorry, wasn’t my intention!
Well damn. I just looked on Flood Ford’s sight and saw what you mean. What a bunch of BS that is. I’m not going to turn this into a political thread, but just another reason to hate this damn state.

I like @UpACurb suggestion. It’s not like you’re trying to register it with catless long tubes, or avoid taxes, you just want a reasonably priced warranty.

My only suggestion is, if you do register out of state first, be careful because you don’t want to get double dinged on taxes, and you’ll have to do a VIN verification and smog when you, “bring it into” the state on paper.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Well damn. I just looked on Flood Ford’s sight and saw what you mean. What a bunch of BS that is. I’m not going to turn this into a political thread, but just another reason to hate this damn state.
I'm not very political myself except to acknowledge that they are all crooks :) and also to know that people see what they want to see in just about everything in life. This is a good example. It sounds like CA is doing the same as FL - and while there are politics involved, I'm sure, you cant really hang it on a particular party considering CA is Blue and FL is Red ;)

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
I'm not very political myself except to acknowledge that they are all crooks :) and also to know that people see what they want to see in just about everything in life. This is a good example. It sounds like CA is doing the same as FL - and while there are politics involved, I'm sure, you cant really hang it on a particular party considering CA is Blue and FL is Red ;)
Totally agree.

OP, I have never gone this route, and a have no idea if there is a downside, but have heard of people doing so. This may be an option for you….

https://www.dirtlegal.com/montana-vehicle-registration-service-tax-free

Hobdul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2022 Volvo V60 Polestar
The selling dealer wouldn’t care but Ford and the state of California might. The car would have to be registered in the other state at the time of purchase.
This is not accurate per a call I had with Lombard. Car can be registered in CA, you can live in CA, but you have to have a valid initial address in another state to purchase the warranty. At that point, it's a valid extended warranty that will be honored by Ford dealers anywhere.

Sponsored

Hobdul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2022 Volvo V60 Polestar
Interesting. Issues in FL at the time of purchase or to get the warranty honored at time of service?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
This is not accurate per a call I had with Lombard. Car can be registered in CA, you can live in CA, but you have to have a valid initial address in another state to purchase the warranty. At that point, it's a valid extended warranty that will be honored by Ford dealers anywhere.
What you say is completely true, but reread the post I responded to. The poster just wanted to use an out of state address for the sole purpose of being able to buy a Ford ESP. As per other threads posters mention that this can be an issue. If you have a legitimate property in another state and the car is registered in that state the online dealers will sell you a warranty.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
This is simple. Have a friend draw up a lease on a room in their house in another state. If you really want to cover your rear take said lease to the local post office and have them log the address change. The lease covers that aspect. Problem solved. I’ll leave alone the ……… that institute this nonsense and are screwing there constituent's, both sides.

What you say is completely true, but reread the post I responded to. The poster just wanted to use an out of state address for the sole purpose of being able to buy a Ford ESP. As per other threads posters mention that this can be an issue. If you have a legitimate property in another state and the car is registered in that state the online dealers will sell you a warranty.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
This is simple. Have a friend draw up a lease on a room in their house in another state. If you really want to cover your rear take said lease to the local post office and have them log the address change. The lease covers that aspect. Problem solved. I’ll leave alone the ……… that institute this nonsense and are screwing there constituent's, both sides.
And that’s where the rub is. If the car was never registered in the “other” state then the warranty should have never been sold. If Ford figures it out, and you know they can, any warranty claims can be refused. Like anything else it’s a crapshoot. Depends on if you’re willing to roll the dice.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That’s not correct. By your argument how does a warranty go in to affect, when purchased at the point of sale, before the vehicle is even registered? Registration does not prove ownership, the initial bill of sale does. If you say that’s incorrect. If I bought a new 350, and kept it under the mso, that warranty would still start at purchase, not registration.

And that’s where the rub is. If the car was never registered in the “other” state then the warranty should have never been sold. If Ford figures it out, and you know they can, any warranty claims can be refused. Like anything else it’s a crapshoot. Depends on if you’re willing to roll the dice.
Sponsored

Last edited: