Considering GT350 vs ZL1

sleepy floy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'74 Ford Bronco, '15 Jeep Wrangler
So, I recognize that I'm posing this to a very biased audience :-), but here's my situation and how I got here...

I'm not biased to any particular brand, but I've also been partial to Ford (have owned 3 Mustangs in the past and currently have a '74 Bronco that I've been restoring over the past 5 years). My son and I stumbled on a gt350 when we were getting our GMC appraised at Carmax and talked our way into a test drive. By the time we were done, we were both grinning ear to ear and giddy for the rest of the day. We started looking around, and my son pointed out that there was an '18 ZL1 for sale at a local dealer that we should look at. I wasn't really interested, but we went by just to kill some time on a Saturday. Couldn't believe how impressed I was with the Camaro. It's nowhere near as stylish as the 350, but 650hp and 600+ torque, it is like a hammer (and I honestly like the interior better than the gt350).

We both (my son and I) prefer the styling of the Mustang as well as the sound (which is just unbeatable). I started getting very concerned though the more I researched and read about the oil consumption issues. That, plus I can get a better deal on a ZL1 (believe it or not there is still a dealer here in the bay area that has a leftover new 2018 gt350 in their showroom asking $20k premium over msrp lol). Anyway, these are the two cars that I'm looking at for the time being. Have been really close on pulling the trigger on the ZL1, but keep getting drawn back to the Ford.

Vehicle 1: brand new 2018 ZL1 6 speed, full factory warranty from Chevy dealer. MSRP: $65.5k, purchase price: $52.5k ($13k discount)

Vehicle 2: 2017 GT350, 2k miles (still need to confirm it is a late build/canister oil filter), has recaros and nav. Price is $49k + shipping as it's halfway across the country. I'm sure there are other options similar to this one if it doesn't work out, but this is about as low as I can find for a clean title one owner late production one.

Knowing what you know now, how would you feel about these two options (and try to keep your ownership goggles to a minimum :-) ).

Appreciate feedback.
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think you'll be happy either way.

The Camaro ergonomics aren't really for me, I have a lot of seat time in a 6th gen SS and while it's a great car, there are a lot of things I don't like.

OP
OP
sleepy floy

sleepy floy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I suggest you go to the Camaro sites and see if it has any issues too. I think for a while the oil pumps on them were going bad. You might like the last generation Z28. Very pricey but too pricey and in the end could be had for 15k under MSRP.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
That absolutely is a great deal, thanks for pointing out. Just don't think I can do black (or yellow for that matter), otherwise would be very interested in this car.
seems like there have been a handful of 18's for 5 or 6k below msrp since I started looking, but I ordered a '19 instead. Good luck!

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I think you will be happy either way. Had the same consideration myself and decided on the GT350. Performance of the ZL1 even over the R is/was a huge draw for me. I still do wonder sometimes "what if?" But then I would have been mad at myself for getting an ZL1 and not a Z06 which was tops on my list.

OP
OP
sleepy floy

sleepy floy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I think you will be happy either way. Had the same consideration myself and decided on the GT350. Performance of the ZL1 even over the R is/was a huge draw for me. I still do wonder sometimes "what if?" But then I would have been mad at myself for getting an ZL1 and not a Z06 which was tops on my list.
I ran into a guy in an '18 ZL1 last weekend and talked to him. He was born and raised in Germany, said it's the best car he's ever owned including Porsches and several other performance cars. That being said, if you want to stand out in a crowd, the GT350 turns a lot more heads than the ZL1 I would guess, 99% of people likely won't be able to tell the difference versus any other Camaro.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
If it was a 1LE Camaro than it would be very compelling if you are going to track it. Big con in my opinion is the Camaro sight lines/visibility; horrible for the street.
As for quality FWIW there was a ZL1 owner at the track that complained about an electric steering issue that jerked the wheel around in his hand occasionally when on Track (that sounds scary as hell)

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If it was a 1LE Camaro than it would be very compelling if you are going to track it. Big con in my opinion is the Camaro sight lines/visibility; horrible for the street.
As for quality FWIW there was a ZL1 owner at the track that complained about an electric steering issue that jerked the wheel around in his hand occasionally when on Track (that sounds scary as hell)
This is apparently a real issue.

Guy I know from the ST forum got an SS 1LE and it was doing the same thing. I watched a video of it on instagram and I was absolutely blown away it didn't end up in the wall.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i've had a regular 350 with recaros and now a ZLE and see pros/cons of each...

looks-350
interior-350
power-ZL1
tranny-ZL1
sound-350 if factory, ZL1 if aftermarket

i am seeing ZLEs for 15% off right now and it almost makes me sick. but i love this car and don't plan on getting rid of it. IMO it's more car for your money.

and full disclosure, i had about every problem the s550 has with my 350, not to mention a dealer experience that is currently the only thing keeping me from a raptor.

the camaro6 forum does have a few small threads about failures, nothing like the one here. i'm not trying to trigger anyone here, just telling my experience.

you will thoroughly enjoy either one, good luck in your decision!

OP
OP
sleepy floy

sleepy floy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
i've had a regular 350 with recaros and now a ZLE and see pros/cons of each...

looks-350
interior-350
power-ZL1
tranny-ZL1
sound-350 if factory, ZL1 if aftermarket

i am seeing ZLEs for 15% off right now and it almost makes me sick. but i love this car and don't plan on getting rid of it. IMO it's more car for your money.

and full disclosure, i had about every problem the s550 has with my 350, not to mention a dealer experience that is currently the only thing keeping me from a raptor.

the camaro6 forum does have a few small threads about failures, nothing like the one here. i'm not trying to trigger anyone here, just telling my experience.

you will thoroughly enjoy either one, good luck in your decision!
I believe you were in the thread on another site that first alerted me to the oil issues, and enough people jumped in to make me very nervous (realizing that the folks not having issues aren't posting). I wouldn't go 1LE (recognize the track performance, but I need something at least somewhat conservative (at least as conservative as a ZL1 can be).

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I believe you were in the thread on another site that first alerted me to the oil issues, and enough people jumped in to make me very nervous (realizing that the folks not having issues aren't posting). I wouldn't go 1LE (recognize the track performance, but I need something at least somewhat conservative (at least as conservative as a ZL1 can be).
i didn't need a 1LE at all, just regretted not getting an R when i had my 350 and figured the same would happen here. it is mostly a curvy highway commuter for me and i love it. it will see the track, but not enough to justify it by any means lol.

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
My buddy just picked up a Zl1 1LE. Great car, they are offering like over 8K off sticker + incentives that is such a great deal. So much car for that price. Dealers still have 2018's on the lot and are basically giving them away. It will outperform my Gt350 every time. You are right about the interior too, it is better. However, I preferred the seats in my track pack. Overall it is just a different experience in comparison to the 350. The motor on the 350 is very special and it requires some attention. The 350 requires more from you. She needs you to rev her up to hit her power band. You will have to blip your throttle yourself. You are rewarded with a nice linear smooth throttle all the way up to 8250 redline. If I were in the market now, I would have a hard time picking between the 2.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I'd suggest test driving a 1LE camaro as well. It's really close in performance to the 350 and you could probably find a low milage used one for around ~$35k. No matter what you pick, I feel like you can't go wrong given these choices.
Sponsored