Confused about aftermarket lug nuts

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'm looking for replacement lug nuts for my GT30. I know most people mention the Gorilla lug nuts. I want to get chrome, not black. I see these on CJ Pony https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-20-chrome-mustang/p/WHLLN120/ But they look longer than the stock ones. And then I see these https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-lug-nut-kit-mustang/p/M1012M/ which look like the same length of the OE lug nuts.
So does Gorilla have lug nuts in chrome same size of the OE lug nuts?
Sponsored

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm looking for replacement lug nuts for my GT30. I know most people mention the Gorilla lug nuts. I want to get chrome, not black. I see these on CJ Pony https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-lug-nut-kit-20-chrome-mustang/p/WHLLN120/ But they look longer than the stock ones. And then I see these https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-lug-nut-kit-mustang/p/M1012M/ which look like the same length of the OE lug nuts.
So does Gorilla have lug nuts in chrome same size of the OE lug nuts?
I'm another McGard fan. McGard 64073 is the closest in length to the factory lug. OEM lug inside measurement is about 1-3/8 deep and the 64073 is 1.5" deep. I use the black version of this nut with my track wheels.

That said, if you want to get something that looks OEM, buy the FP nut kit. They are as close to OEM as you can get.

Sponsored

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
If you look at the Q&A for the second set of lug nuts you posted you'll see that they are capped (two piece) like the OEM nuts (assuming the answer is correct). The first ones are one piece design as per the descrption.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
OP the chrome equivalent of the black ones you're asking about is Gorilla PN 61148CX

Screenshot 2023-05-06 195215.jpg

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
^^ This.

I bought the Gorilla 61148CX for my 2017 several years ago from CJ Pony Parts but it looks like they don't stock them anymore. Summit carries them, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-61148cx, and also saw some on ebay.

twbthird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP convertible, Ruby Red
Swapping OEM lug nuts for a set of Gorilla factory style (61148FS) today and glad I am doing it. Even though my '17 is relatively low mileage (~18,000 mi.) and garage kept, half the OEM lug nuts will not fully seat in the socket, and had to go oversize to get one off at all.

Once one of the OEM nuts is removed, you can see what a sh*t design it is. The outer shell is made of a very soft metal (I assume aluminum) that deforms and gouges easily. The engineers at Ford that signed off on this design should be ashamed of themselves.

The Gorilla nuts are 13/16 hex instead of the OEM 21mm, so had to buy an extra socket, but worth it!

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...Once one of the OEM nuts is removed, you can see what a sh*t design it is. The outer shell is made of a very soft metal (I assume aluminum) that deforms and gouges easily. The engineers at Ford that signed off on this design should be ashamed of themselves...
A lot of people complain about the factory nuts. Thing is, they'll last just fine if they never see an impact gun. The outer wrapper is stainless steel and it's there to protect the nut from weather and corrosion. However, if someone bangs away at it with an impact wrench, the stainless shell stretches and the usual socket won't fit any more. Similarly, if someone bangs away at a chrome nut like the ones you just installed, the chrome will eventually start to flake off and corrosion will set in.

So, regardless of which type of nut is installed, the best practice is to use a flex breaker bar to loosen the nuts about 1/4 turn or so before spinning them off with the impact wrench. Install them loosely and then spin them in with the gun, but don't let the impact hammer at them - stop when they're all the way in, then tighten them the rest of the way with a torque wrench. Either type of nut will last a lot longer.

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
JAJ, impact wrenches are not the only issue. Back in the 1970's I dealt with these in the Northern Ohio rust belt. The snow and road salt would seep in and rust the steel nut, expanding and splitting the cap. This wasn't just a Ford issue. Most of the OEMs used them, and all were problematic. For over 40 years, I've replaced them on every family vehicle.

twbthird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP convertible, Ruby Red
For what it's worth, the only time prior to today that the lugs were removed on my car was for a tire installation at the dealer. I don't know if they used an impact gun or not. I use only hand tools (socket, breaker bar, and torque wrench) for lug nut work. The 61148FS Gorilla nuts that I installed are slightly longer than the factory nuts, but that gives more length for a socket to seat on. I am happy with their appearance installed.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
JAJ, impact wrenches are not the only issue. Back in the 1970's I dealt with these in the Northern Ohio rust belt. The snow and road salt would seep in and rust the steel nut, expanding and splitting the cap. This wasn't just a Ford issue. Most of the OEMs used them, and all were problematic. For over 40 years, I've replaced them on every family vehicle.
Fascinating - thanks for the update!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
For what it's worth, the only time prior to today that the lugs were removed on my car was for a tire installation at the dealer. I don't know if they used an impact gun or not.
They used an impact. And your odds are even less that they used a torque wrench for the final click.
Sponsored