Sponsored

Confirming CF wheels

Newgt350r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt350r
I'm buying a used GT350R with the CF wheels. I've seen Non-CF wheels that look the same, is there an easy way to confirm I'm getting what I think I am when I see the car?
Sponsored

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
I'm buying a used GT350R with the CF wheels. I've seen Non-CF wheels that look the same, is there an easy way to confirm I'm getting what I think I am when I see the car?
The front carbon fiber wheels are coated on the inside rims to protect them from heat generated by the brakes. Easy to spot and feel. It is a rough coating.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
Post some pics of the car you're considering. It's very easy to tell from the barrels on the front rims with the radiant barrier to the lug nuts. All rims will also have a label on the barrel from Carbon Revolution.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
The front carbon fiber wheels are coated on the inside rims to protect them from heat generated by the brakes. Easy to spot and feel. It is a rough coating.
Here's a picture of a front CF wheel, the ceramic coating is white unless they have a lot of miles. They will also has a white label inside each wheel.
IMG_2031.jpg

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Just to confirm that you have already purchased this used R model and have not seen or checked this car out yet?

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
If you need some help qualifying the used R that you are/have purchased there are a lot of very knowledgeable enthusiasts on this forum therefore if you have any further questions beyond the CF wheels please reach out to this forum.

Getting back to the wheels and not that you can measure the width of each wheel the front wheels are 19" X 11" with the rear wheels being 19" X 11.5" with the Michelin Cup 2 tires coming in at 305/30/19's on the front and at 315/30/19's on the back.

Of course tread depth is at a minimum on these cars even when new.

Also if you provide a model year, color combination, Electronics Package or Base, chassis number along with pictures I might be able to help you with some production numbers for your car?

:)

OP
OP

Newgt350r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt350r
upload_2020-4-1_23-14-59.png
This is the best picture I have at the moment. No, I haven't seen the car in person yet but I also haven't put any money down on it yet either. Thanks for the picture of the inside of the wheel, it's good to know about that to check. Any other things in particular I should be looking out for when I check the car out in person?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This is the best picture I have at the moment. No, I haven't seen the car in person yet but I also haven't put any money down on it yet either. Thanks for the picture of the inside of the wheel, it's good to know about that to check. Any other things in particular I should be looking out for when I check the car out in person?
From a vague photo that wheel looks correct. However before handing over the funds, you really need to have someone look the car over and check all the details

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
that certainly looks like the OEM CF wheel. it shows the OEM lugs with the locking lug. AFAIK there is only 1 replica wheel that retains the OEM lugs and that is the VIBE replica wheel. however, the VIBE front wheel will lack the white thermal coating on the inner barrel, it will lack the carbon revolution white labels on the inner barrel, and it will lack the "protruding" lug adapters of the OEM R wheel. see the difference in the lug mounts below...

VIBE REPLICA, which lacks the lug "bumps", see it is totally flat where the acorn lugs mount...
cf_vibe.jpg

OEM R WHEEL, HAS THE LUG BUMPS...THIS IS THE FACTORY CF WHEEL...
cf_orig.jpg

anyway, high chance you are getting the original CF wheels. that would be pretty low-life to sell you an R without the OEM wheels.

as for the car itself, check the carfax, maintenance records, do all your due diligence. but you wont regret getting an R.

Byronj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
IMHO, this pics look like 6GR wheels which are aluminum and the clearance between the rim barrel and the rotor and something like 2.5 MM i would not buy those unless they show the inner barrel the information stated above. AND just out of curiosity, where are these lists FS and how much is the seller asking?

Sponsored

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Weigh them. No alloy wheels will come close to 18 lbs. Combined wheel/tire weight for the CF wheels are 46-47 pounds.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
IMHO, this pics look like 6GR wheels which are aluminum and the clearance between the rim barrel and the rotor and something like 2.5 MM i would not buy those unless they show the inner barrel the information stated above. AND just out of curiosity, where are these lists FS and how much is the seller asking?
No, it does not look like the 6GR wheel. The transition from spokes to hub is flatter in the 6G and the lug nuts are recessed becuase the hub pad is a different depth. This looks like the OEM wheel from the pics. 6GR below for comparison.

project-6gr-7-r-spec-gloss-black-white-shelby-gt350-12.jpg

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Ask the dealer to send you better photos of the rims

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
With the stock lug nuts sitting on the face of the wheel like that, it is most certainly not a 6GR (like @oldbmwfan said).

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Based on the picture that you have posted and aside from the CF wheels that are in question it is my opinion that the tires on this vehicle are certainly not Cup 2 tires and looks to have some replacement tires sitting on either CF wheels or something close to that.

I responded back to your PM and was hoping to hear back from you and wanted to help you with some feedback and perspective on this R model and of course one of the first things that I would do is get an Oasis Report on this vehicle.

Fortunately I have owned a 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 GT350/R therefore I have come to know these vehicles pretty well along with many other members on this forum and suggest that many of us can provide you with numerous suggestions as to what to look for on these cool 2 seat GT350's.

Good luck and if this vehicle is in Arizona I might be able to inspect and look at this vehicle for you subject to where it is domiciled?

:)
Sponsored