Sponsored

Cold Temp Steering Pops/Bangs

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
it's most common for the Torsen differential in the performance Pack cars to make popping sound when backing up or cornering until it's fully warmed up, issues also come from the steering rack when it's cold such as a creaking sound. when you start to stiffen up your suspension with the rear IRS it seems to amplify the sound. this is also a common problem with the s197 cars.
Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Mine too. Definitely front end, not rear. When it happens the front of the car visibly hops/jumps in the direction of the turn. Luckily my nose is a few inches past the garage door opening when it happens! I had 19 all season and switched to 20 summers and both sets popped.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Also, you are from Arizona. You wouldn't understand. All you have to worry about is stone chips and cracked windshields.
News flash it gets cold in Phoenix in the winter time. Been in the 30's over night recently.

Im in Phoenix and it happens to me in the mornings when I back out of the garage and then crank the wheel to turn into the street. It's definitely the tires. Sounds like the outside front tire is skipping. I always figured it was the summer tires. I just go a little slower and don't crank hard to avoid it. Never had a problem once the tires are warm.

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Also, you are from Arizona. You wouldn't understand. All you have to worry about is stone chips and cracked windshields.
Happens to me every morning backing out of the garage/driveway here in Tucson. Its funny this thread was made because this morning I was really wondering what the hell causes this.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Happens to me every morning backing out of the garage/driveway here in Tucson. Its funny this thread was made because this morning I was really wondering what the hell causes this.
Right?! My wife was just asking the other day what that noise was when we were backing out onto the street. Had no idea this was so prevalent.

Sponsored

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Buy winter tires and figure it out yourself.. it wouldn't surprise me as I can do full sideways powerslide at 3k rpms with 1/4 throttle down when it hit's 30 degrees..

p51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT w/ PP
Its the tires. I got pops all the time with my pp tires. just replaced them with General GMAX all seasons, no pops anymore. Literally any tire is better than stock pp tires.

bluehorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
Like everyone else have said, it's the tires. Used to have that issue in the cold since day 1. Bought some s04 pole positions and it went away. Believe it or don't, that's the solution. Doesn't mean you have to rush out and buy new tires (although it makes the car so much nicer and usable). Even my s04 PP that also aren't supposed to be driven under 45 degrees work fantastic in 30* Temps.

Yes the Pirelli's can be driven on
Yes they are pretty good grippy tires in the summer
But they also suck compared to other tires in the same price bracket. Hince why the new GTPPs come with MPS4+

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
When pulling out of my parking lot, at low temps, with the steering wheel at lock or close to it, there are some serious pops/bangs from the front end. And I feel it through the steering wheel.

It scares the hell out of me when it happens and I'm close to another car, making me think I've hit it.

I thought I read somewhere here that's normal?

How cold and what tires are still on it. The PP Pirellis on my car would make sounds when it was cold especially right on start up and backing out of my driveway. It would be a lower deeper rubber pop sound. Went to DWS06 and have been perfect since.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sounds like this is a universal, and just annoying issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
Mine does it and i don't believe its the tires . When it does it, it almost feels like a ball joint popping but after it does it it is fine and will not do it again while driving . It does seem to move the car a little when it does it . When I test drove the car it did it and the salesman almost had me take it back to the shop but we drove around the lot and could not reproduce it and it didn't do it again . It doesn't do it ever time i get in the car either it's hit n miss. I'm more inclined to believe it's in the steering rack setup . At first i thought it might be the hill assist and the front brakes were maybe sticking and popping free but i turned that off and it would still do it.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It is in fact the Pzero Summer Tires. The cold roughs them up and all of the air inside that was stagnant creates the sound, I believe.

I got a nice set of BFG A/S and I have not heard any pops or noises.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Mine does it and i don't believe its the tires . When it does it, it almost feels like a ball joint popping but after it does it it is fine and will not do it again while driving . It does seem to move the car a little when it does it . When I test drove the car it did it and the salesman almost had me take it back to the shop but we drove around the lot and could not reproduce it and it didn't do it again . It doesn't do it ever time i get in the car either it's hit n miss. I'm more inclined to believe it's in the steering rack setup . At first i thought it might be the hill assist and the front brakes were maybe sticking and popping free but i turned that off and it would still do it.
Trust me it's the tires. Listen to everyone here. :thumbsup:

Davefzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This actually just started happening to me last week. I took the car in and they diagnosed it as a weak battery. 300 dollars later, still happening when cold. 2013 GT 130k miles.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This actually just started happening to me last week. I took the car in and they diagnosed it as a weak battery. 300 dollars later, still happening when cold. 2013 GT 130k miles.
Wow, that is a lot of miles. What tires are you running?

Side bar, how has your car's reliability been? I would love to get more than 100k miles out of my 2016 GT.
Sponsored