Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
When pulling out of my parking lot, at low temps, with the steering wheel at lock or close to it, there are some serious pops/bangs from the front end. And I feel it through the steering wheel.

It scares the hell out of me when it happens and I'm close to another car, making me think I've hit it.

I thought I read somewhere here that's normal?
Sponsored

RafaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, PP, Ruby Red
Hey! I think my car has done this a few times coming out of my garage too. I've only noticed it if I'm almost at full lock and its really cold.

Maybe a NoVA GT thing???

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Hey! I think my car has done this a few times coming out of my garage too. I've only noticed it if I'm almost at full lock and its really cold.

Maybe a NoVA GT thing???
I've found a few threads on the same issue in the "Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls" section here, and it seems to effect the cars when it's cold. It didn't happen until the temps got below 40 degrees, and goes away when it's warmer.

In every instance I've read about it happening, it's always when cold.

One poster said a Ford tech told him it's a fault in the basic design of the steering stops that are inside the EPAS rack, and there's nothing to do about it.

SiRCaSTK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
I get the same thing. I will usually get 1 "pop" when I first get in my car, even in warmer temps when I am at full lock. After that initial "pop", I don't have any issues.

I took it out this winter once, in freezing temps, and I got multiple "pops" when I was getting out of the parking lot. But once I got out on the main road, I didn't have any more issues.

I would also like to hear what this cause is. All I have been able to find so far is people claiming it's the cold tires skipping on the roadway. I don't think that's the case, but I have no idea.

Sponsored

Catbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Nothing to worry about really. Just buy winter tires and you will never hear it again.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I would also like to hear what this cause is. All I have been able to find so far is people claiming it's the cold tires skipping on the roadway. I don't think that's the case, but I have no idea.
I highly doubt it's the tires. A way to see would be to have someone standing outside the car and watching the tires as you make it happen deliberately.

It's supposedly a design fault inside the EPAS units with the turning lock stops......

I've been living with it all winter, it's not problem after 30 seconds of driving.

Catbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I highly doubt it's the tires. A way to see would be to have someone standing outside the car and watching the tires as you make it happen deliberately.

It's supposedly a design fault inside the EPAS units with the turning lock stops......

I've been living with it all winter, it's not problem after 30 seconds of driving.
I promise it is the tires. I had this problem in cold weather when I tried to rock the all-seasons through the winter. It only happens for the first 30 seconds because the tires warm up and you typically are not making sharp enough turns. I don't know the specific details, but it has to do with the inside of the tire hopping to keep pace with the outside (or maybe the other way around).

Now I have winter tires and have not had this happen once. and I noticed it on a cold october day before I switched to the winters with the all-seasons.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Sponsored

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The last 2 weeks it has gotten really cold here in the mornings at around 40F. I felt the pop when I'm backing out of my parking space with the steering locked in either direction, and it feels like the front wheel ran over a sharp bump. Doesn't happen after the car warms. This week hasn't been as cold and I no longer have the symptoms.

Catbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Also, you are from Arizona. You wouldn't understand. All you have to worry about is stone chips and cracked windshields.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
pretty sure its the tyres slipping when on lock on a cold/wet surface I get it reversing off drive every morning because you know its wet 99.8% of the time here in the UK. on the rare day/morning when its not wet/icey/shit/delete as required and the roads are dry quiet as a mouse.
I've been over every bolt and bush at the front end nothing lose at all best I got was a quarter turn out of a drop link but thats about it.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Yes, I'll back straight out of my parking stall and then crank the wheel and roll forward, and I hear this. I was paranoid that all the damn pot holes around here had finally taken their toll because there's this one really bad road I can't avoid during my commutes since it's the only one that leads straight through to where I need to be.

I was also thinking it sounds like a tire sliding and not rolling, if it wasn't something in the suspension. And come to think of it, I have first noticed this when temps around here started getting into the 20's and 30's and below. I'm still rolling with the PP's summer tires.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
The PP tires pop, jump, and skip when cold while backing out of the driveway into the street in winter. In the summer this doesn't occur.
Sponsored