Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I apologize in advance, as this topic has probably been beaten to death by now.

I drive in hot stop-n-go traffic, and see my intake temps going well over 100 degrees.

Would a CAI actually do anything about that? Do they actually work? How about getting some insulating/heat reflective HVAC duct tape, and wrapping the existing OEM CAI to keep those temps down a bit?

I have a BAMA tune, but I've always heard that CAIs don't really do anything.
Sponsored

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Save your money, an aftermarket intake will do no better than the stock airbox at insulating the air charge from heat for what you pay.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
With the S197 Coyotes, there was one AM CAI that actually made a positive difference, where an owner who installed it had to also do a tune to work with the increased and colder air-flow.

Ya'll mean to tell me that none of the S550 AM CAIs actually work?

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
With the S197 Coyotes, there was one AM CAI that actually made a positive difference, where an owner who installed it had to also do a tune to work with the increased and colder air-flow.

For temps? no.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
I apologize in advance, as this topic has probably been beaten to death by now.
Yes it has, and you've been here long enough to know that. Plus you started it in the wrong section.:doh:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Air is being fed from the same duct underneath the front cover shroud.

Here's the biggest problem: it sounds like you're trying to fix an issue that doesn't exist. Over 100 degrees intake temps, even getting into the mid 100's is a pretty typical occurrence.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
A few problems with open air cold air intake systems.

1) They are metal. Metal gets hot. Metal aids in heating up the air.

2) The Cone air filter is sucking in the air that's already heated up by the engine. Great in the winter time! This problem is exacerbated when in traffic/standing still.

Reflective tape will help a bit, but not as good an option as a closed cold air intake system. Air intake temps on a hot day (85+) getting over 100 degrees is normal, like said above.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT

I've owned 3 s197 cars and the 2014 stock air intake is better than any aftermarket intake. I would be willing to bet the the s550 stock intake is even more efficient.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
A few problems with open air cold air intake systems.

1) They are metal. Metal gets hot. Metal aids in heating up the air.

2) The Cone air filter is sucking in the air that's already heated up by the engine. Great in the winter time! This problem is exacerbated when in traffic/standing still.

Reflective tape will help a bit, but not as good an option as a closed cold air intake system. Air intake temps on a hot day (85+) getting over 100 degrees is normal, like said above.
I totally understand that 100+ AITs are normal. I'm just looking at a way to improve those numbers.

I really think I might give the HVAC reflective tape a shot.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I totally understand that 100+ AITs are normal. I'm just looking at a way to improve those numbers.

I really think I might give the HVAC reflective tape a shot.
Is your system(air filter) open or closed? If it's open, you could build a heat shield to surround the air filter or put the air filter in a universal canister. You could also route a flex tube from the grille to your air intake. Both of these should help keep the temps down quite a bit.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm in the same boat as you as I have read through many threads. The IAT temps recover faster with a CAI (Or certain ones) when the car is moving, but the stock box keeps the temps down a bit lower when idle, but takes longer to recover.

When it comes to tuning, you may squeeze a few extra HP out of the better designed CAI's due to flow. It does look and sound a lot better.

Either way, if you're idling, your temps are going to rise regardless of what you use.

My 2 cents, I'll probably be getting a JLT in Grabber Blue to match my car and a Lund tune to follow with it. A lot of stock airboxes now are really well designed and hard to get a drastic gain over. You either take higher IAT's with a CAI and faster cooldown time when you move, or lower IAT's idling with slower cooldown times.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'm in the same boat as you as I have read through many threads. The IAT temps recover faster with a CAI (Or certain ones) when the car is moving, but the stock box keeps the temps down a bit lower when idle, but takes longer to recover.

When it comes to tuning, you may squeeze a few extra HP out of the better designed CAI's due to flow. It does look and sound a lot better.

Either way, if you're idling, your temps are going to rise regardless of what you use.
This.

I've got a Roush, and I can see the IAT rise in traffic at idle a bit quicker than it did stock. However, since the Roush filter housing overlaps the hood vent on that side, the IAT temp drops to a few (single digits) above ambient once moving. The unit is essentially moving ambient air from the grille through the hood vent when the car is in motion, definitely functional even though the CAI itself isn't going to net a big power increase without a tune.

Looks cool at cruise night too. :)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What benefit do you think you'll reap from that? I'll just say it, you're wasting time trying to fix something that's not broken. We're trying to help you here...
Sponsored