N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ford, GM and the rest of them spend millions of dollars on engine development, trying to get the most horsepower and economy out of an engine. If a $20 air filter would make a difference, don't you think they'd use it as original equipment?"
They do, on their RACE CAR DEVELOPMENT program. For the average Mustang, Ford sells it as a daily. So that takes priority which always means a compromise. GUess that explains the GT350 intake box then huh?
Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Let me, if I may, share a story from years ago. I was at the track and chatting with a guy who I discovered worked as an engineer for the SVT team at Ford. At the time, the oil soaked foam filters (K&N) were the latest and greatest thing to increase engine performance, and I asked him about it. His reply, as I recall, was:

"Ford, GM and the rest of them spend millions of dollars on engine development, trying to get the most horsepower and economy out of an engine. If a $20 air filter would make a difference, don't you think they'd use it as original equipment?"

I suspect that the same applies to intake systems. It amazes me that people think that some guy in a garage cobbling together a CAI (or other snake oil) can do a better job than one of the world's top 5 auto manufacturers.

Now, sure, Ford and others do make compromises for cost, ease of manufacturing, assembly, longevity and safety. But I'm not an automotive engineer, so I trust that most of their decisions were pretty good.
I've had a similar experience when I was at the Mach 1 unveiling geez, almost 20 years ago. Why'd they put this goofy looking funny box thing here on the side and have all these strange bends? Idiots!

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
"Ford, GM and the rest of them spend millions of dollars on engine development, trying to get the most horsepower and economy out of an engine. If a $20 air filter would make a difference, don't you think they'd use it as original equipment?"
One would think so, but I've seen too many blunders caused by the manufacturers' desire to save fifty cents per car. Even if an engineer knew that a $20 filter would make a difference, that doesn't necessarily mean that the bean counters would approve it.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Let me, if I may, share a story from years ago. I was at the track and chatting with a guy who I discovered worked as an engineer for the SVT team at Ford. At the time, the oil soaked foam filters (K&N) were the latest and greatest thing to increase engine performance, and I asked him about it. His reply, as I recall, was:

I suspect that the same applies to intake systems. It amazes me that people think that some guy in a garage cobbling together a CAI (or other snake oil) can do a better job than one of the world's top 5 auto manufacturers.

Now, sure, Ford and others do make compromises for cost, ease of manufacturing, assembly, longevity and safety. But I'm not an automotive engineer, so I trust that most of their decisions were pretty good.
Lots of compromises are made for cost and noise suppression as well as ease of maintenance. It's not worth it at all to spend even an extra $30 per car on better air filters for a mass produced vehicle when all you get is a few hp. Nobody is saying a drop in will add see crazy amount of hp

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
first there are 2 different type of CAI.
1.with a tune
2.without a tune ( or better Doen't need a tune to work). I will not talk about them cause the gain here will be very minimal.

I test a JLT with tune VS my OEM 18 with tune. 22whp gain.

same day. same conditions. ( SONOMA RACEWAY NASA Dyno).

so Yes it does gain HP.
hope this helps.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
On a related note, it'd be nice to compare the power/torque curves of a GT vs Bullitt, since the latter comes with Ford's CAI version on GT350s, plus their intake, and 87mm (vs 82) TB... plus I assume a slightly different tune, right? And all of that for only 20HP (and no TQ advantage). Even though I own one, I'd have preferred a quieter/cleaner closed air filter housing. And finally, wonder out of those 20HP, how many were due to the hardware changes, and how many due to the different tune.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
For those interested in our latest read ... https://www.steeda.com/mustang-open-vs-closed-lid-intakes

Some great info as it relates to the factory intake & more - enjoy!

Think of your engine as a massive set of lungs. When you can breathe in more oxygen, you always tend to feel better because it is distributed more efficiently to all parts of your body. This same philosophy is applied to Mustang engines. Remember, more air, fuel, and spark equals more horsepower. The more oxygen your engine can get, the better it will transmit power throughout each cylinder, which will create more power and torque. However, you can't get all that horsepower without having all that air go somewhere. To enhance airflow, Mustang enthusiasts will add a set of shorty or long-tube headers to ensure maximum airflow.

TJ

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Pretty happy with my Injen Evolution closed CAI...yes, those dyno numbers are for a 2018+, confirmed with Injen. Guess their dyno just reads low, I've seen others do that.

IMG_2580.JPG
Injen Evolution EVO9202 Dyno.jpg

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Pretty happy with my Injen Evolution closed CAI...yes, those dyno numbers are for a 2018+, confirmed with Injen. Guess their dyno just reads low, I've seen others do that.

IMG_2580.JPG
Injen Evolution EVO9202 Dyno.jpg
i would be more interested in an independent dyno or even better a before and after track test

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
i would be more interested in an independent dyno or even better a before and after track test
Did you watch my video?
Is exactly what you wete asking.
I had the same doub you have that is why the test

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Also gotta consider they engineer the car to last 150,000 miles. So of course they'll want to use a more restrictive filter media.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
I think you're mostly paying for the tune, but that's just me. It also depends on your application, as I track and race mine, when I'm putting down lap after lap after lap, I wouldn't want some open CAI that's sucking in that really hot air coming up from my glowing brakes or the longtubes. Since I'm logging and watching my temps, I'd much rather have the stock on, with all of its piping, so that I'm sucking in the coldest air from the front.
What about the likes of:

https://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/roush-2018-19-5.0l-v8-cold-air-intake

compared to stock? Still a closed system.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy with the K&N intake that I installed on my 2018 GT.

I noticed a bit more torque down low, and the IAT numbers seem to be similar to what owners of the Ford Performance CAI report.

It fit much better than the Injen that I tried.
20200523_181724.jpg
20200523_181716.jpg
Sponsored