Sponsored

Cold air intake. Stock or aftermarket?

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Just get a K&N drop in filter or similar and an E85 tune. Done deal.
Sponsored

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
I'm glad to see the majority are on board with the idea that CAIs are a waste of money on this car. There was a time where everybody thought a CAI was the first mod to make, even though there was no data to suggest any gains over just a tune alone.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I'm glad to see the majority are on board with the idea that CAIs are a waste of money on this car. There was a time where everybody thought a CAI was the first mod to make, even though there was no data to suggest any gains over just a tune alone.
It would be different if it were a 15-17 car. Then I'd suggest going with an 18 conversion :)

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Is the 18 CAI different than the 15-17?
18+ manifold and intake is actually very efficient at making power compared to previous years.

Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
With just our custom tuning alone for 93 octane premium fuel using our Mycalibrator touch tuning device we've achieved gains in upwards of 40 WHP and 37 WTQ here on the chassis dyno on an otherwise stock vehicle. Then below is a video example of another customer's GT here on the dyno with our 93 performance tuning along with the JLT tune required cold air intake which made 436 WHP and 410 WTQ which was worth roughly 10-15 WHP and around 10 WTQ peak on this car for example, but often times you can find even greater gains below the peak.

Then after switching over from 93 to E85 and adding our flex fuel tuning his car ended up at 453 WHP and 427 WTQ with the intake and more powerful E85 Flex fuel tune. So that added almost another 5% peak gains wise switching to E85 tuning.

Here is a link to the tuner on our website with some more info including a before and after dyno sheet as well. Feel free to give us a shout if you'd like to discuss this a bit further in depth or to place an order as well and we would be happy to help out!
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631153

What year GT and M6 or A10?
Not to start a pissing match, but i've seen higher numbers with the OEM 18 air box on more than one occasion. These were 18-19 GT's M6 running Lund and AED E85 tunes with the OEM air box.
I've seen it with my own two eyes and i'm convinced that on a dyno with the hood down and an air mover blowing air at the grille the OEM intake will make identical power with cooler IAT's.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
This topic has really been beaten to death. Unfortunately manufacturers of CAI fluff their numbers.
It's really easy to do.
Different ambient temperatures, hood open on the dyno and even not using the same correction factor on the runs. They all will yield the results they want...
Sell people a $50 cone filter with $20 worth of plastic for $350+.
The customer is happy...
They look cool popping the hood at cars and coffee and the sound like they make 20 more HP.
All they do is suck your money from your wallet.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
They look cool popping the hood at cars and coffee and the sound like they make 20 more HP.
All they do is suck your money from your wallet.
Agree they are pricey. They do not add the power the manufacturers claim they do. But if the customer is happy with 5 extra hp, cool sound, and the look and has the bank to buy it who cares. At least it's not like Obama Care where people were coerced to buy an overpriced product that should cost a lot less.

Last edited:

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I guess the GT350 catered to the ignorance, and then they fixed it with a closed airbox on the GT500.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I guess the GT350 catered to the ignorance, and then they fixed it with a closed airbox on the GT500.
The GT 350 also has a higher rev limit so that's probably why they went with the cone filter style.

Sponsored

Heartlessssss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Ask your tuner what they prefer, I went with PBD and was told they prefer the JLt and “has a few” hp to gain. Not much to gain though

Norklin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
Unless I can get one thats borderline robbery its not worth my money or effort lol.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
With just our custom tuning alone for 93 octane premium fuel using our Mycalibrator touch tuning device we've achieved gains in upwards of 40 WHP and 37 WTQ here on the chassis dyno on an otherwise stock vehicle. Then below is a video example of another customer's GT here on the dyno with our 93 performance tuning along with the JLT tune required cold air intake which made 436 WHP and 410 WTQ which was worth roughly 10-15 WHP and around 10 WTQ peak on this car for example, but often times you can find even greater gains below the peak.
I think This is good advice on cause & effect.
Doing the math ....help me here
Car base lined 381-386hp & 363 tq peaks?

Area under the curve would be interesting or the average bump

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
The GT 350 also has a higher rev limit so that's probably why they went with the cone filter style.
Thinking out loud here. Maybe the JLT I put on my GT has a functional edge. I installed a GT350 IM and my automatic WOT is 7750 rpm. Giving thought to your statement it is a "tune required" CAI pulling in more air volume. Especially with higher rpm's.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Thinking out loud here. Maybe the JLT I put on my GT has a functional edge. I installed a GT350 IM and my automatic WOT is 7750 rpm. Giving thought to your statement it is a "tune required" CAI pulling in more air volume.
There's no doubt the JLT sucks in more air at the higher RPM's versus the stock box. That's why most forced induction applications run those cone style filters. There's just not as drastic of a difference on an N/A application versus FI, but it is there.
Sponsored