Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I think This is good advice on cause & effect.
Doing the math ....help me here
Car base lined 381-386hp & 363 tq peaks?

Area under the curve would be interesting or the average bump
The math on the JLT gains I had mentioned was going off of our latest 93 Performance tune results on a bone stock car and comparing them to the latest dyno runs I could find from another GT with the same tune and a JLT intake added. The stock car's dyno chart posted on our website shows peak 425 whp and 400 wtq. Then the car on the dyno in the video below made 436 whp and 410 wtq.

2018-Mustang-5L-stock-vs-93.jpg
View attachment 381859
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
What year GT and M6 or A10?
Not to start a pissing match, but i've seen higher numbers with the OEM 18 air box on more than one occasion. These were 18-19 GT's M6 running Lund and AED E85 tunes with the OEM air box.
I've seen it with my own two eyes and i'm convinced that on a dyno with the hood down and an air mover blowing air at the grille the OEM intake will make identical power with cooler IAT's.
The runs I referred to were both on 2018+ GT's A10. I just posted on another reply below with the two dyno runs I was going off of with those gains. One was a dyno sheet of a stock 2018+ A10 with just our 93 Performance tune stock air box and then the video of the car running our 93 Performance tune with the JLT intake modification as well.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I know every dyno & conditions arei different ....there appears to be plenty of bone stock cars attaining 430/400 hp/tq
What does your tune do to the average?

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
I know every dyno & conditions arei different ....there appears to be plenty of bone stock cars attaining 430/400 hp/tq
What does your tune do to the average?
Here is a dyno sheet showing a stock 2018+ Mustang 5.0L A10 baseline versus our 93 octane performance tune on an otherwise stock vehicle. Peak gains on this run were around 31 wheel HP and 30 Ft. Lbs of torque with maximum power gains as high as 40 wheel horsepower, and 37 additional Ft. Lbs of torque over stock at points

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631153

ex_q90_w680_h_2018-Mustang-5L-stock-vs-93-LPP631153.jpg

Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
The runs I referred to were both on 2018+ GT's A10. I just posted on another reply below with the two dyno runs I was going off of with those gains. One was a dyno sheet of a stock 2018+ A10 with just our 93 Performance tune stock air box and then the video of the car running our 93 Performance tune with the JLT intake modification as well.
My question is was the hood down and closed when these dyno runs were done? You can manipulate the whole dyno by not doing so and it's not a very scientific approach to having a constant in the equation.
Air moving through the grille is different than air being blown directly onto the open air filter on any "CAI".

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
My question is was the hood down and closed when these dyno runs were done? You can manipulate the whole dyno by not doing so and it's not a very scientific approach to having a constant in the equation.
Air moving through the grille is different than air being blown directly onto the open air filter on any "CAI".
Looking at the video of the pulls I had posted above it does show the pulls had been done with the hood open.

Jigar@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The best CAI intake to go with nowadays is one that is closed box which replicates the stock box but allows for more airflow. Our closed box has the coldest intake temps PERIODTTTTT. Not only is it the coldest, it has also helped us achieve the highest trap speed for an NA S550.

If you have any further questions or are wanting to purchase one, feel free to DM or call me 954-247-2444
IMG_9888.JPG

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Here is a dyno sheet showing a stock 2018+ Mustang 5.0L A10 baseline versus our 93 octane performance tune on an otherwise stock vehicle. Peak gains on this run were around 31 wheel HP and 30 Ft. Lbs of torque with maximum power gains as high as 40 wheel horsepower, and 37 additional Ft. Lbs of torque over stock at points

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631153

ex_q90_w680_h_2018-Mustang-5L-stock-vs-93-LPP631153.jpg
394whp STD seems low for a baseline. Can you post the conditions (temp, humidity, CF) of those 2 runs? I assume they were done back to back on the same day?

Deleted member 35786

In my experience, about 85% of cold air intakes on the market are just bling and do nothing more than lighten your wallet. The only ones that are actually worthwhile require a tune to run correctly.

Think about it like this, there is a data table in the pcm that tells the pcm how much air is coming in based on the output of the mass air meter, when an aftermarket CAI that doesn't require a tune is used it doesn't change the air flow enough to go outside the parameters of the stock data table, there fore it doesn't flow anymore than stock either. So they are basically just bling or eye candy. If you are going to buy a CAI, spend the extra coin and get one that requires a custom tune. While your at it consider a bigger throttle body and get the tune for both at the same time.
^^^ Agree..

Sponsored
OP
OP
Luckystang

Luckystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Thank you all for the info. For now i will be going with a custom tune and stock air box.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for the info. For now i will be going with a custom tune and stock air box.
If you haven't already a sound tube delete will clean up the engine bay.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
394whp STD seems low for a baseline. Can you post the conditions (temp, humidity, CF) of those 2 runs? I assume they were done back to back on the same day?
The conditions were nearly identical between all runs. The temperature was within 2-3 degrees Fahrenheit, 3-5% humidity, and less than .01 correction factor.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I think you have to do a tune then cai or both in order to realize the gains of a cai. American Muscle along with VMP has a video doing tune, tune + cai, then E85. 93 Tune netted 19hp, tune plus intake netted another 15hp. So around $27/hp. Not too costly IMO when a outboard cost you $80 to $100/hp

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
I think you have to do a tune then cai or both in order to realize the gains of a cai. American Muscle along with VMP has a video doing tune, tune + cai, then E85. 93 Tune netted 19hp, tune plus intake netted another 15hp. So around $27/hp. Not too costly IMO when a outboard cost you $80 to $100/hp
It really depends on the specific type of cold air intake to be honest. The 5.0L Mustangs have specific tuning adjustments that have to be applied for the "tuning required" specific cold air intakes. The 2.3L Mustangs however are speed density and do not have a MAF sensor so there are no real tune required type of intakes for the EcoBoost models. The 5.0L cold air intakes such as JLT and PMAS for example have certain tunes that are required or you'll typically end up with a check engine light that says system too lean due to the additional airflow going by the mass air flow sensor if the tune has not been adjusted accordingly. On the 2015-17 Mustang GTs we offer our Windstorm line of cold air intakes in a standard non-tuning required version, and then we also offer a Windstorm Severe line of intake that has a larger MAF slot so it requires custom tuning at all times for the vehicle to perform properly.

Then some other brands like Steeda and Roush have intakes that are a combination of the two where you can run them without a cold air specific tune adjustment when you leave the venturi or basically a reducer insert installed in the MAF slot. Then you on those two intakes for example you can remove that insert from the intake which would then require a specific tuning adjustment for the larger diameter MAF slot or additional air flow. Some clients prefer the tune required intakes because they make the most power, but the one downside is that switching back to a stock tune for service visits for example means they have to put the stock air box back on to avoid CEL issues. Or the combo type of intakes with the insert they would just need to re-install that reducer when going back to a factory tune so it's no longer tuning required.
Sponsored