Sponsored

Cold air intake. Stock or aftermarket?

Luckystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
I have a 2019 GT/PP1. On my 11 and 15 i had the JLT cold air intake installed. I have read the 18/19 stock air box works as while or in some cases better. Is this true? what HP and torque gains would i see with just a custom tune only?
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
In my experience, about 85% of cold air intakes on the market are just bling and do nothing more than lighten your wallet. The only ones that are actually worthwhile require a tune to run correctly.

Think about it like this, there is a data table in the pcm that tells the pcm how much air is coming in based on the output of the mass air meter, when an aftermarket CAI that doesn't require a tune is used it doesn't change the air flow enough to go outside the parameters of the stock data table, there fore it doesn't flow anymore than stock either. So they are basically just bling or eye candy. If you are going to buy a CAI, spend the extra coin and get one that requires a custom tune. While your at it consider a bigger throttle body and get the tune for both at the same time.

OP
OP
Luckystang

Luckystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Thanks for the info. JLT was installed in my 11 and 15, also i had KooKs long tubes on both has well. I was not planning on heades this time just a cold air and tune. If a bigger throttle body will help i can go that route. Would you know what kind of increase that would yield?

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
With just our custom tuning alone for 93 octane premium fuel using our Mycalibrator touch tuning device we've achieved gains in upwards of 40 WHP and 37 WTQ here on the chassis dyno on an otherwise stock vehicle. Then below is a video example of another customer's GT here on the dyno with our 93 performance tuning along with the JLT tune required cold air intake which made 436 WHP and 410 WTQ which was worth roughly 10-15 WHP and around 10 WTQ peak on this car for example, but often times you can find even greater gains below the peak.

Then after switching over from 93 to E85 and adding our flex fuel tuning his car ended up at 453 WHP and 427 WTQ with the intake and more powerful E85 Flex fuel tune. So that added almost another 5% peak gains wise switching to E85 tuning.

Here is a link to the tuner on our website with some more info including a before and after dyno sheet as well. Feel free to give us a shout if you'd like to discuss this a bit further in depth or to place an order as well and we would be happy to help out!
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631153

Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I personally wouldn't bother unless you plan to road race your car. Gears are the best bang for the buck plus a 93 octane (or E85 if you can get it) tune on a stock car. Then, just learn to drive it quickly, whether that is launching it because you like to drag race or road/circuit racing it.

Spend the money saved not buying the intake on gas or maybe some suspension bracing to stop the hop or improve handling.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The best bang for the buck is good tires. Followed by an E85 tune. All the power on earth won’t do you any good. If you can’t get the power to the ground!

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Most "Cold Air Intakes" just suck in hot air. But they make more power on a Dyno with the hood open so you feel better about your purchase.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
As stated keep stock intake, go for e85 / flex tune and better tires. Then consider cat deletes or LTH.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I don’t know anything about you or your situation.
Personally I think Area under the curve will feel better than peak numbers based on how I drive and I don’t even think peaks are meaningful on a street driven car.
You likely won’t be impressed anymore with your car than now with just a tune and it’s ability to get you in trouble and soil your shorts.
Don’t think the Stock 18+ box has been the devil in adding power either
If soiling your shorts is your endgame ...save up if needed ....& put a blower on it ...or your favorite kompressor configuration. Buying a tune now to gain a couple of ponies in my humble opinion is a waste until you decide on end game results wanted. If a couple of hp makes you happy get a custom tune with the potential side effects from the Ford Warranty folks..
Go big or go home or go it alone...seem to be the choices for a 19 owner
My $.02 and worth much less

Post pics too :)...of the FI, not your laundry

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I echo the sentiments on a CAI, if they were priced at about a $100 which is what their worth, maybe. But $300+, then they see you need a tune, $$$ with the resultant powertrain warranty voided, it's ridiculous thought pattern that to get something from a CAI, you need to dump more money on it as well as void the warranty. Just ridiculous to say that. I bleed ford blue said it best...it's nothing but eye candy under the hood and lightens your wallet above all else.

And too, when you see that IAT on the dash and it's always reading higher temps than the OE box you'll regret it.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
I agree that most CAI's are just eye candy AND they cost too much. It's amusing to read CAI reviews. Some say WOW... I have 25 more horsepower. NO YOU DON'T!!!!!!!
:thumbsdown:

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My personal experience. Lund flex tune first. JLT CAI second choice. I did both.
Sponsored