Cobb Stage 2 help

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 ecoboost premium mustang
I switched back from stage 2 to 1 and it seems to me part throttle the stage 1 feels stronger, but flooring it stage 2 certainly more power. SO i would agree daily Stage 1 is funner.
My COBB readout showed 384 torgue 321 hp Stage 1.
On stage 2 i remember it showing 358 hp.
On the stage 2 with NGK 1 steps dropin filter and SF race intercooler my best 0-60 is 5.3 secs.
And before the intercooler my best 0-60 on stage 1 was 6.4.
I was going to get a run same spot tonight to compare the 0-60 stage 1 and 2 but the cops are out tonight.
My 2 cents.
I have been debating because the car is fast n fun as is but
iEcobeast
just sold me on a protune and wastegate upgrade.
Sponsored

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Do you recommend colder plugs for Stage 2?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do you recommend colder plugs for Stage 2?
cobb recommends stock heat plugs for all 3stages they tuned them for oem plugs. You’ll be fouling plugs more often needing more frequent changes with colder.

Timmonsxp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost premium
Hey everyone,

I just got down installing my new intercooler from MA Performance on my ecoboost. I have previously had the stage 1 tune on for about a week, but once the install for the intercooler was done, I uploaded the stage 2 map.

Honestly, I'm disappointed in the performance of stage 2. I waited for the octane adj ratio to reach -1.00, but after that when I did a couple pulls, it seemed like the car was much faster in stage 1. The Cobb ap3 was reading about 345-395 torque in stage 1 and is now reading 325-345 torque in stage 2 depending on the pull. If I'm in first or second gear it will actually barely read 265ish torque... pretty disappointing.

The mods I currently have are a roush axleback, map intercooler, mishimoto catch can. I know for stage 2 Cobb suggests a full intake, but I was reading that the stock intake is actually much better power wise, so I don't believe this would affect it. Other than the intake, I meet the requirements for stage 2.

I'm really considering just going back to stage 1 with the intercooler still on since it felt faster. Does anyone know what the problem is with the stage 2 map?
Im using the cobb stage 2. At first I wasn't happy because I didn't understand it but after talking to a tuner I figure it out.

I have:
Mishimoto 3" catless dp
C&L CAI
MAP intercooler
Cobb stage 2

Before they changed the maps at Cobb because of the stupid emissions regulation it stated that you needed at least a 200 spun downpipe to get the best out of the stage 2.

I felt like stage 1 was better but after getting the downpipe set up correctly. Doing a KAM reset and putting in new OEM plugs at .028 gap. I pull est. 370hp and 431tq on stage 2.
Not to mention stage 2 has way more pull in the upper rpms where stage 1 fell off.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Im using the cobb stage 2. At first I wasn't happy because I didn't understand it but after talking to a tuner I figure it out.

I have:
Mishimoto 3" catless dp
C&L CAI
MAP intercooler
Cobb stage 2

Before they changed the maps at Cobb because of the stupid emissions regulation it stated that you needed at least a 200 spun downpipe to get the best out of the stage 2.

I felt like stage 1 was better but after getting the downpipe set up correctly. Doing a KAM reset and putting in new OEM plugs at .028 gap. I pull est. 370hp and 431tq on stage 2.
Not to mention stage 2 has way more pull in the upper rpms where stage 1 fell off.
I’m confused, I’ve always read stage 1/2 had oem downpipe
Stage 3 was the only tune proper for an aftermarket catted dp

Sponsored

Timmonsxp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
I switched back from stage 2 to 1 and it seems to me part throttle the stage 1 feels stronger, but flooring it stage 2 certainly more power. SO i would agree daily Stage 1 is funner.
My COBB readout showed 384 torgue 321 hp Stage 1.
On stage 2 i remember it showing 358 hp.
On the stage 2 with NGK 1 steps dropin filter and SF race intercooler my best 0-60 is 5.3 secs.
And before the intercooler my best 0-60 on stage 1 was 6.4.
I was going to get a run same spot tonight to compare the 0-60 stage 1 and 2 but the cops are out tonight.
My 2 cents.
I have been debating because the car is fast n fun as is but
iEcobeast
just sold me on a protune and wastegate upgrade.
Oof. 6.4 try using the paddles unless you have a manual.

Timmonsxp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
I’m confused, I’ve always read stage 1/2 had oem downpipe
Stage 3 was the only tune proper for an aftermarket catted dp
According to an ecoboost pro tuner stage 2 is Cai or Oem with drop in. Downpipe and intercooler. You can have exhaust as well. He said stage 3 is for going beyond full bolt on. Like bigger injectors. Turbo upgrade. Etc. I remember I tried Stage 3 with my dp and I wasn't even pulling close to my stage 1. It felt sad..lol. so I tried Stage 2 as he recommended and the car feels amazing.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
According to an ecoboost pro tuner stage 2 is Cai or Oem with drop in. Downpipe and intercooler. You can have exhaust as well. He said stage 3 is for going beyond full bolt on. Like bigger injectors. Turbo upgrade. Etc. I remember I tried Stage 3 with my dp and I wasn't even pulling close to my stage 1. It felt sad..lol. so I tried Stage 2 as he recommended and the car feels amazing.
cobb literally makes the tunes for their bolt ons. I’d really listen to them. Lol I mean using matching equivalents. Idk I get protuners and all… but Cobb made their tunes to compliment the corresponding parts to buy alongside of it

CBBE90EA-60B6-4B5C-8545-9BC464B9F1E9.png

E453C129-BD27-4147-80B5-196B0D515341.png

D1DE6FC8-6A90-4AA8-9CC9-A52D13ABE717.png

F7AF6389-AA08-495E-97AF-ADC56C550B01.jpeg

Timmonsxp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
cobb literally makes the tunes for their bolt ons. I’d really listen to them. Lol I mean using matching equivalents. Idk I get protuners and all… but Cobb made their tunes to compliment the corresponding parts to buy alongside of it

CBBE90EA-60B6-4B5C-8545-9BC464B9F1E9.png

E453C129-BD27-4147-80B5-196B0D515341.png

D1DE6FC8-6A90-4AA8-9CC9-A52D13ABE717.png

F7AF6389-AA08-495E-97AF-ADC56C550B01.jpeg
I mean they make these tune for their bolt ons. Not a mixture of CAIs Downpipes or exhausts. They also don't tune for downpipes anymore since the update. I'm running catless downpipe and since I went stage 2 there has been a huge increase in my cars performance. Compared to Cobbs recommendation for stage 3.
When you had posted the charts from cobb originally I thought for sure stage3 was the ideal tune for my setup but it wasn't for some reason. It wasn't until the tuner said go stage 2 for said reasons that I swapped back and it made a huge difference.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I mean they make these tune for their bolt ons. Not a mixture of CAIs Downpipes or exhausts. They also don't tune for downpipes anymore since the update. I'm running catless downpipe and since I went stage 2 there has been a huge increase in my cars performance. Compared to Cobbs recommendation for stage 3.
When you had posted the charts from cobb originally I thought for sure stage3 was the ideal tune for my setup but it wasn't for some reason. It wasn't until the tuner said go stage 2 for said reasons that I swapped back and it made a huge difference.
Do you have just a downpipe or downpipe + full un restricted exhaust

if your downpipe goes into 2.25piping (y pipe) which is after oem downpipe

then that’s why.
Cobb is downpipe, continuing 3 inch pipe into 2.5 split.

I had the exhaust above. So I would be stage3. I’m convinced if you run a downpipe, into stock size 2.25 bottleneck, oem config. Itl still be bottlenecked as soon as fumes pass dp.

Itl spool hair faster to fill the volume of dp, but then get restricted leaving the dp if you havnt done anything else after.

Sponsored

Timmonsxp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Do you have just a downpipe or downpipe + full un restricted exhaust

if your downpipe goes into 2.25piping (y pipe)

then that’s why.
Cobb is downpipe, continuing 3 inch pipe into 2.5 split.

I had the exhaust above. So I would be stage3. I’m convinced if you run a downpipe, into stock size 2.25 bottleneck, oem config. Itl still be bottlenecked as soon as fumes pass dp.

Itl spool hair faster to fill the volume of dp, but then get restricted leaving the dp if you havnt done anything else after.
I have the 3" and then the adapter going into the stock Y exhaust. So it's not 3" all the way back. Just the DP. The DP has no restriction but the stock exhaust does.
My main problem with stage 3 was not reaching peak boost. I'd get 18-20lbs peak. Which is rough. Compared to 24.5 or higher depending on the temperature and humidity that stage 2 gives.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3" and then the adapter going into the stock Y exhaust. So it's not 3" all the way back. Just the DP. The DP has no restriction but the stock exhaust does.
My main problem with stage 3 was not reaching peak boost. I'd get 18-20lbs peak. Which is rough. Compared to 24.5 or higher depending on the temperature and humidity that stage 2 gives.
Yeah that’s why. That bottleneck is messing with tune not letting it push the fumes it’s requesting enough.

without the bottleneck gone, you’re still a stage 2. Imo
https://edgeautosport.com/cobb-tuning-turboback-exhaust-ford-mustang-ecoboost-2015-2019/

Timmonsxp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that’s why. That bottleneck is messing with tune not letting it push the fumes it’s requesting enough.

without the bottleneck gone, you’re still a stage 2. Imo
https://edgeautosport.com/cobb-tuning-turboback-exhaust-ford-mustang-ecoboost-2015-2019/
Yeah. It's possible. But for the original poster of the thread he doesn't have any exhaust upgrades. Just intercooler and I think CAI or drop in. So it makes sense that stage 2 isn't doing great for him because of the mods he has. I ran stage 1 until I got my DP. I had the same mods as he does.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Run stage 2 op. Follow the pics I posted as guidance
Sponsored