Clutch Shot at 12,000 miles!!

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Original tires and they looked good, still do. Very little to any roadrash. I have only launched control twice - very controlled and never line locked.
Not you, but the 16 yr old. Who knows what he did or tried. Teens love to post their antics on social media. Maybe you can find some from him.

SSSICK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 19 Z06, 20 Bolt EV, 10 Corolla LE
This is the exact reason I only buy new, never used. Good luck!

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I would take it to the dealership 1st, could be a defect from Flat Rock.
Not that late in the game...dealer won't warranty this.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's not an easy clutch change compared to some other vehicles, depending on whether there's any corrosion or not. North Carolina probably not bad, but I had some issues when I did mine - and my car was only a couple years old at the time. I probably would pay someone else to do it unless I was really desperate. If you have issues/questions - don't hesitate to PM me.

Rilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019 PP1
I made the mistake and bought a used Mustang. Just to save about $10,000!!

Guess where my car is at right now getting warranty work at? Dealership after driving it for 3 weeks.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I did mine by myself in about 5 hours. Granted I have a lift and a tranny jack.

It's not an easy clutch change compared to some other vehicles, depending on whether there's any corrosion or not. North Carolina probably not bad, but I had some issues when I did mine - and my car was only a couple years old at the time. I probably would pay someone else to do it unless I was really desperate. If you have issues/questions - don't hesitate to PM me.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I did mine by myself in about 5 hours. Granted I have a lift and a tranny jack.
I'd say you are amazing. I think it took me more than 5 hours to figure out how to get one of the nuts off the passenger side catalytic converter. You know, the one that you have to go in from under the hood with a long extension? It was frozen and I ended up welding the socket onto that nut so that I could get it apart.

I bet it took me several hours just to separate the transmission and engine, because one of the dowels was corroded too much and frozen in place. I ended up using a comealong attached to the rear cross member to force the transmission off the engine without damaging anything.

And it took me a lot of time to get the vent back together and do the clutch bleeding. I didn't have a rubber stopper of the correct size to apply vacuum to the master, so I had to fab up something.

I don't have a lift or a transmission jack, but I had a friend come over to help me once I had everything ready. He helped with putting in a couple bolts and wrestling with the track pack transmission.

Of course I was doing a transmission swap to a track pack setup, not actually changing out the clutch, but I had the transmission out of the car to do that operation, so the clutch would have been easy at that point.

But I only put about 33,000 miles on my GT350, so it never needed a clutch.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I was fortunate. My car only had 900 miles on it when I did it. A lift and tranny jack make a huge difference. But to be fair Iā€˜ve been working on cars my whole life so Iā€™ve had lots of practice. For me, getting the damn shift knob off was the biggest pain in the arse. Why they used red lock tight on that is beyond me. I was cussing a storm. Iā€™ve been in your shoes with before. It doesnā€™t tske much corrosion to seize something on. I just did the brakes on my 17 F250, only has 36xxx miles. The 2-3k miles it did see in snowy conditions seized the rotors to the hub to the point I beat them off with a sledge.

I'd say you are amazing. I think it took me more than 5 hours to figure out how to get one of the nuts off the passenger side catalytic converter. You know, the one that you have to go in from under the hood with a long extension? It was frozen and I ended up welding the socket onto that nut so that I could get it apart.

I bet it took me several hours just to separate the transmission and engine, because one of the dowels was corroded too much and frozen in place. I ended up using a comealong attached to the rear cross member to force the transmission off the engine without damaging anything.

And it took me a lot of time to get the vent back together and do the clutch bleeding. I didn't have a rubber stopper of the correct size to apply vacuum to the master, so I had to fab up something.

I don't have a lift or a transmission jack, but I had a friend come over to help me once I had everything ready. He helped with putting in a couple bolts and wrestling with the track pack transmission.

Of course I was doing a transmission swap to a track pack setup, not actually changing out the clutch, but I had the transmission out of the car to do that operation, so the clutch would have been easy at that point.

But I only put about 33,000 miles on my GT350, so it never needed a clutch.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Wonder how many times he used launch control, and line lock at high rpm's? What did the tires look like? Original tires on car?
Call me a chicken, but I could never bring myself to test out the "Launch Control". Just something about programing your RPM's, flooring it with it in first, and dumping the clutch.....My son said it best I think, "Dad it's a track car, not a drag car".... I'm sure others will differ. but....chose wisely....

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I think your Son hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

Call me a chicken, but I could never bring myself to test out the "Launch Control". Just something about programing your RPM's, flooring it with it in first, and dumping the clutch.....My son said it best I think, "Dad it's a track car, not a drag car".... I'm sure others will differ. but....chose wisely....
Sponsored