Sponsored

Clutch Shot at 12,000 miles!!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was fortunate. My car only had 900 miles on it when I did it. A lift and tranny jack make a huge difference. But to be fair I‘ve been working on cars my whole life so I’ve had lots of practice. For me, getting the damn shift knob off was the biggest pain in the arse. Why they used red lock tight on that is beyond me. I was cussing a storm. I’ve been in your shoes with before. It doesn’t tske much corrosion to seize something on. I just did the brakes on my 17 F250, only has 36xxx miles. The 2-3k miles it did see in snowy conditions seized the rotors to the hub to the point I beat them off with a sledge.
I've pullled transmissions quite a few times between my '70 Mustang and various Fox bodies I've owned, but those cars are much faster to pull apart and get back together than the GT350. Fewer fasteners and they are a lot easier to get at. I swapped a clutch on an Accord and swore never to do that again. I've worked on a fair number of cars as a hobby and because sometimes I'm too cheap to pay someone to help me.
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Fox body’s were my first cars to mess with. They were easier for sure.. Did my share of those in a driveway In the heat and cold. I get the “being cheap” side lol, for me I just don’t let anyone touch my 350’s.

I've pullled transmissions quite a few times between my '70 Mustang and various Fox bodies I've owned, but those cars are much faster to pull apart and get back together than the GT350. Fewer fasteners and they are a lot easier to get at. I swapped a clutch on an Accord and swore never to do that again. I've worked on a fair number of cars as a hobby and because sometimes I'm too cheap to pay someone to help me.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Call me a chicken, but I could never bring myself to test out the "Launch Control". Just something about programing your RPM's, flooring it with it in first, and dumping the clutch.....My son said it best I think, "Dad it's a track car, not a drag car".... I'm sure others will differ. but....chose wisely....
Yeah, I feel the same way. In fact I haven't even tried line lock for similar reasons, along with the fact that I feel with the PS2's, you'd loose about 1,000 miles of tread life with a good burnout.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Supposedly most of the miles put on by the
It is hard to describe as I haven't ever felt this before on a car, but it felt like it was hard to get into gear, and even when it was in gear, it didn't feel like it was fully engaged, acceleration was not matching the gas pedal.
Check your clutch assist spring first. Maybe the previous owner completely removed it and it’s causing issues.

— Mike

Sponsored

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Yeah, I feel the same way. In fact I haven't even tried line lock for similar reasons, along with the fact that I feel with the PS2's, you'd loose about 1,000 miles of tread life with a good burnout.

3rd what everyone else saying - will not use line lock or launch control- now if I bought a GT500 different story- but its just not what this car is built for- plus risk vs. reward- not like Im racing for money

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Hey All,

I bought my GT350 at 9000 miles and it is my daily driver, I have put another ~3,000 on it in the last few months. The clutch is shot and I have to get it and all associate parts replaced, bearing, slave, flywheel, etc.

This is $3420 at my local Ford dealer - used them for about 4 years and they are good. Blows my mind that this could happen so early... the only thing I can think of is that the guy I bought it from before had bought it for his *16 year old* and maybe the kid had no idea how to drive manual.

Is there anything anyone knows of that could help on the cost? Not covered under warranty is my understanding...
Wear is not covered. Defect is.
That was my clutch below, I track the car and blew 2 clutches. Ford paid for it but after the second time I decided to replace it with a better aftermarket clutch

CE651899-7EA9-4BE4-92F1-3E871FB77C97.jpeg

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
What’s that out of?

That was my clutch below, I track the car and blew 2 clutches. Ford paid for it but after the second time I decided to replace it with a better aftermarket clutch

OP
OP
scorch088

scorch088

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350

What did they deem was the defect and why did they lay for it?

Sponsored

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Hey All,

I bought my GT350 at 9000 miles and it is my daily driver, I have put another ~3,000 on it in the last few months. The clutch is shot and I have to get it and all associate parts replaced, bearing, slave, flywheel, etc.

This is $3420 at my local Ford dealer - used them for about 4 years and they are good. Blows my mind that this could happen so early... the only thing I can think of is that the guy I bought it from before had bought it for his *16 year old* and maybe the kid had no idea how to drive manual.

Is there anything anyone knows of that could help on the cost? Not covered under warranty is my understanding...
You're kind of between a rock and a hard place! There definitely could be a part failure within the clutch system that would be covered under warranty, but the dealership has to tear into it to determine if that's the issue. If it's the result of abuse or wear, then they might not cover it under warranty and the cost is on you. Of course it's all torn down at that point, so you're kind of jammed up. I would have a sit down with the Service manager and see if they can give you a break, cost wise. Most dealers will work with you in situations like this. They do have some financial wiggle room. I would also advise against an aftermarket system. I've read too many complaints about drivability issues over the years. The stock clutch is strong and dependable, so I'd stay with it. Sorry for your situation. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
scorch088

scorch088

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
You're kind of between a rock and a hard place! There definitely could be a part failure within the clutch system that would be covered under warranty, but the dealership has to tear into it to determine if that's the issue. If it's the result of abuse or wear, then they might not cover it under warranty and the cost is on you. Of course it's all torn down at that point, so you're kind of jammed up. I would have a sit down with the Service manager and see if they can give you a break, cost wise. Most dealers will work with you in situations like this. They do have some financial wiggle room. I would also advise against an aftermarket system. I've read too many complaints about drivability issues over the years. The stock clutch is strong and dependable, so I'd stay with it. Sorry for your situation. Keep us posted.
Thank you! Will try to do that.
Sponsored