Clutch condition???

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
hi there, ok so I found a good deal on a used clutch... I know as soon as I say that everyone is gonna chime in about how that’s like finding a good deal on a used condom... I digress lol

I’m not sure how to know ifthe clutch is in good condition or not... I know there can be hot spots on the pressure plate and glazing on the clutch disc but there aren’t a lot of clear examples of these things online.
I attached a couple pictures of the clutch...anyone with any experience I would greatly appreciate your input!!
it looks to me like there might be a couple hot spots on the PP. it’s hard to tell from the angle of the picture but the clutch plate has a relative shine to it. Again, I don’t have enough experience to know how bad it really is.

thanks for your help!

3A3648BF-938E-4872-8530-FAEF057309B3.jpeg

34961999-1CAF-4B6B-A8DE-865B2BF6BE95.jpeg

BF151C89-58DE-41C4-A4CD-301087FCF061.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I should add... it supposedly only has 500-600 miles on it.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
What does the flywheel look like? Regardless, it’s not worth the minimal savings. But, if your going to do it, you want the mated flywheel as well.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
What does the flywheel look like? Regardless, it’s not worth the minimal savings. But, if your going to do it, you want the mated flywheel as well.
Well it’s not minimal savings.. this clutch is about $1500 new and I can get it for much much less than that

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
if it’s worth the risk for the savings, have at it. It should be in the half price range and include the flywheel to make any sense to me. If you know the person well it’s coming from that makes a lot of difference as well. It’s not an unknown quantity at that point.

Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
With the deals we have on new clutches right now it makes sense to go new. This way you have the peace of mind knowing that there's nothing wrong with it and that you don't risk a shady transaction with a marketplace seller but instead deal with a reputable vendor.

Give us a shout and we'll hook it up on a new clutch that fits your goals and needs.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
if it’s worth the risk for the savings, have at it. It should be in the half price range and include the flywheel to make any sense to me. If you know the person well it’s coming from that makes a lot of difference as well. It’s not an unknown quantity at that point.
Yeah I can grab it for $300... and like I said it’s 1500 new. But if it sounds to good to be true it usually is haha. We’ll see. Any opinions on the pictures??

brianbr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic GT PP
Yeah I can grab it for $300... and like I said it’s 1500 new. But if it sounds to good to be true it usually is haha. We’ll see. Any opinions on the pictures??
If it only has 500 miles It should still be in the break in period, I wouldn't expect it to have hot spots already. Also need to see flywheel condition.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
OK so those are hotspots that I’m seeing on the pressure plate then??

unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of the fly wheel… What should I be looking out for?

brianbr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic GT PP
There should be no glazing of the clutch disk and no hot spots on the pp or flywheel at 500 miles. If there are signs of either, which there are, I personally wouldn't buy it because it means it wasn't broke in properly. It won't hold rated torque and will fail prematurely. At the price new Mcleod RST's are going for I would go that route. I would install an oem before that used centerforce even if it was free.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
There should be no glazing of the clutch disk and no hot spots on the pp or flywheel at 500 miles. If there are signs of either, which there are, I personally wouldn't buy it because it means it wasn't broke in properly. It won't hold rated torque and will fail prematurely. At the price new Mcleod RST's are going for I would go that route. I would install an oem before that used centerforce even if it was free.
Thank you that is so helpful... looks like I’m gonna pass. Thanks!!

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
How much power can an rst realistically hold? Also, is buying their flywheel imperative?

brianbr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic GT PP
How much power can an rst realistically hold? Also, is buying their flywheel imperative?
That clutch is my personal choice for a stock or modded n/a car. If I were you, contact one of the vendors on here and let them know what you are looking to do.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
That clutch is my personal choice for a stock or modded n/a car. If I were you, contact one of the vendors on here and let them know what you are looking to do.
Yeah I might have to. I’m at about 750whp. That’s why I was really hoping this Centerforce would work out.

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
If it only has 500 mikes then if they followed the breakin procedure you should see very even wear on all friction pads, pressure plate and flywheel. From the pictures it appears to be uneven.
Questions I would ask are if this clutch was paired with a new flywheel or resurfaced?
I would also ask a trick question such as how did it hold on hard launches? If they answer with anything other than I do not know because i never finished breakin then i would walk away.
If you plan to install this yourself then have at it. Only loss in your time. If you are paying someone to install then figure in the potential of paying twice if it is indeed shot which more than covers saving up for a new one.
Sponsored