mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Hi guys,

So yesterday my clutch pedal broke. The weld that holds the bar linkage of the pedal to the pivot tube up top broke so my clutch pedal is very wobbly and I have issues starting the car now because the neutral switch is not being engaged properly.

If anyone that has a service manual could provide me with the excerpt to remove the assembly I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!
Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
pm'ed

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Alright boys, trying to remove this entire assembly is proving to be a difficult job. Right now I need to remove the clutch master cylinder plunger rod from the clutch pedal, but there is a clip preventing me from popping off the connector from the clutch pedal linkage. Since I have limited space and am broad shouldered, I cannot get a good look at the clip to understand how to remove it. Does anyone possibly have removed this before and could show me a picture of it?

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Nevermind. I got it. Here is a picture for those who may have to do this job like me:

1y7p4z.jpg

Just used a small allen wrench to hook on the top part and pulled it out.

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Alright, so got the assembly out and disconnected the pedals from the plastic bracket:

28tdoa8.jpg

Here is how the clutch pedal pivot tube looks:

18nng8.jpg

2cfazoz.jpg

As you can see this thing failed pretty badly. I had a squeak/creak last year in the summer which disappeared in the winter. I assume the weld was slowly failing until it finally completely failed this past Sunday.

I will have my coworker get this cleaned up and welded up. Will get an all around weld done on both sides so that this thing never ever fails again. I will keep you guys updated!

Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
wow, that's not a part that I would expect to break. Its cool you've got a buddy who can spot weld it back together for free though.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Man, they build things so cheaply nowadays. Even a tack weld on the opposite side of the main weld probably would have prevented that. Just a note, remember to remove the nylon bushings before welding.

My old 05 stang had developed a creak using the clutch. Took me forever to find it but the plastic bracket on the backside facing the firewall had flex-rubbed through the firewall paint. I just rubbed some silicone brake grease where the paint was missing before reinstalling the assembly and the noise disappeared.

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
wow, that's not a part that I would expect to break. Its cool you've got a buddy who can spot weld it back together for free though.
Yeah instead of spot welds, I will ask for an all-around weld on both sides to ensure that this thing never again fails. The weld will be really good cause this guy makes welding an art.

Man, they build things so cheaply nowadays. Even a tack weld on the opposite side of the main weld probably would have prevented that. Just a note, remember to remove the nylon bushings before welding.

My old 05 stang had developed a creak using the clutch. Took me forever to find it but the plastic bracket on the backside facing the firewall had flex-rubbed through the firewall paint. I just rubbed some silicone brake grease where the paint was missing before reinstalling the assembly and the noise disappeared.
Yeah, I had a creak too. Sadly it was not so easily to fix like yours.

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Here's a better view of the failure after sand blasting:

179640.jpg

33lmc8h.jpg

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Looks like a lot of side load was put on it.
do you have a big foot and not pushing straight, or reasonably straight in?
Just asking as a friend of mine has a EEE foot and kinda pushes sideways. He broke a pedal on another vehicle in the same place.
I guess that small pedal surface gives him a false "feel" when he pushes down.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Looks like a lot of side load was put on it.
do you have a big foot and not pushing straight, or reasonably straight in?
Just asking as a friend of mine has a EEE foot and kinda pushes sideways. He broke a pedal on another vehicle in the same place.
I guess that small pedal surface gives him a false "feel" when he pushes down.
No, I push evenly. I think the side load may have been the result of the first weld failing on one side and causing the pedal to twist a bit when it was being operated with only one weld intact.

StevexSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red CS
Mine is broken too.... do you know how much it would cost to replace at ford? I already bought another assembly. It’s such an inconvenience for this to happen...

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
That will be fine with a decent weld.

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Mine is broken too.... do you know how much it would cost to replace at ford? I already bought another assembly. It’s such an inconvenience for this to happen...
No idea man, sorry. I did all the work myself.

Actually got the piece back and installed everything back in yesterday! Car running again. Before, I had issues starting the car since the pedal would not engage the neutral switch properly and I would need to basically try to push the pedal through the fire wall to get the car to start. Now back to normal and all good. My guy did a few welds and also added a stiffening piece up on top so that the piece is more rigid in that area:

vxbx2b.jpg

osr8uw.jpg

15rfgnt.jpg

59su3n.jpg