Sponsored

Clunk From Passenger Front When Weight Shifts Forward

BeanBone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 6-Speed GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
I have noticed a loud clunk coming from what sounds to be the passenger wheel well when weight shifts forward during braking. It almost sounds like a wrench hitting an inflated tire, kind of a hollow pop.

Not sure of it's a bad bushing, suspension component, or braking component.

It's not every time I brake, though, just when I brake moderately hard after the weight has shifted backwards at some point before breaking. It's almost like it has to be "loaded" to happen.

For example, say I was to accelerate hard, drive for a few blocks at a steady speed, then brake moderately hard, it would clunk. However, if I got off the brakes and then braked moderately hard again, it would not pop again.

It's not just acceleration that can "load" it, either, It happens after the weight shifts going over a speed bump or going up an incline.

Here is a crappy video showing me brake when the car is "loaded" with a pop, then braking again with no pop:

Anyone else notice this or have an idea what is broken?

I have gotten used to the clunks from the transmission (manual), but this seems like a major issue.
Sponsored

flomoloko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I have noticed a loud clunk coming from what sounds to be the passenger wheel well when weight shifts forward during braking. It almost sounds like a wrench hitting an inflated tire, kind of a hollow pop.

Not sure of it's a bad bushing, suspension component, or braking component.

It's not every time I brake, though, just when I brake moderately hard after the weight has shifted backwards at some point before breaking. It's almost like it has to be "loaded" to happen.

For example, say I was to accelerate hard, drive for a few blocks at a steady speed, then brake moderately hard, it would clunk. However, if I got off the brakes and then braked moderately hard again, it would not pop again.

It's not just acceleration that can "load" it, either, It happens after the weight shifts going over a speed bump or going up an incline.

Here is a crappy video showing me brake when the car is "loaded" with a pop, then braking again with no pop:

Anyone else notice this or have an idea what is broken?

I have gotten used to the clunks from the transmission (manual), but this seems like a major issue.
Wondering if you ever got anywhere with this issue? I have the EXACT same problem with my car. I've even had it to the dealership with a tech riding along, and could not get the car to make the noise. It sort of picks and chooses when it wants to do this, and it does indeed seem like some weight transfer type thing.

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible, 50 Year Edition
Have a similar issue, sometimes going forward while turning, sometimes when just backing out of a parking space or my garage. If anyone finds out what this is and a fix, post!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Anything rolling around in the glovebox?

2016mustangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost Performance Package
Having the same exact issue here, we have had a TON of rain the last few days here in Georgia and thought that might have aided in the problem as there was not a problem before. Regardless rain and water etc should not cause any problems. Taking it into the dealer tomorrow. If anyone else has a fix to this please let us know. Its only from the passenger side wheel well. I have a 2016 Ecoboot PP bought on 10/31/15 btw

Sponsored

2016mustangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, took my car into the dealer yesterday afternoon and rode with a tech who really listened to me and I felt confident that he would do everything he could to diagnose and repair the problem. He stated that he didn't know what it was and hadn't seen this prior on any of the 15-16's. Of course it only did it like twice with him in the car where as it normally would have done it 5-10 ha. Service advisor was great as well and she was surprised that I was having this type of problem having only had the car since the end of October 2015 and only approx 2400 miles. She got me into a rental and I was on my way.

Both the SA and tech said they were extremely busy and had approx 50-60 cars in that were being worked on in front of me but that they should be able to let me know something in the next day or so. I was thinking it would be more like Thurs 12/31. But this morning at around 11:45am SA called and said they had it ready!!

Here is the write up to hopefully help those of you above who have had/are having the same problem:
"ROAD TEST VERIFIED A POPPING NOISE FROM THE FT END WHILE DRIVING INTERMITTENTLY. WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE IN THE STALL. VISUAL INSPECTION OF THE SUSP WAS UNABLE TO IDENTIFY THE CAUSE OF THE NOISE. ROAD TESTED MULTIPLE TIMES TO PINPOINT THE NOISE TO THE RIGHT FRONT SUSP AREA. INSTALLED CHASSIS EARS, AND RE-ROAD TESTED MULTIPLE TIMES TO IDENTIFY CAUSE OF THE NOISE AS RIGHT FRONT SUB FRAME RE-ENFORCEMENT BOLTS MIS-TORQUED FROM THE FACTORY. ALLOWING THE FRONT SUBFRAME TO SHIFT UNDER HARD TURNS WHILE BRAKING. RE-TORQUED ALL THE FRONT SUB FRAME BOLTS TO THE PROPER SPEC. RE-TESTED THE VEHICLE, NOISE IS REPAIRED."

I have driven it twice since this morning and haven't had any issues so hoping this has everything back in working order! Also, tech stated that once he was able to pinpoint the problem he could jerk the wheel back and forth while driving and get it to do the "pop" repeatedly. Everything was covered under warranty including the rental so nothing but a little bit of time out of my pocket.

The service department at Mall of Georgia Ford and Marilyn and Donnie were great! Hope this helps anyone who is having the same problem!!

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So, took my car into the dealer yesterday afternoon and rode with a tech who really listened to me and I felt confident that he would do everything he could to diagnose and repair the problem. He stated that he didn't know what it was and hadn't seen this prior on any of the 15-16's. Of course it only did it like twice with him in the car where as it normally would have done it 5-10 ha. Service advisor was great as well and she was surprised that I was having this type of problem having only had the car since the end of October 2015 and only approx 2400 miles. She got me into a rental and I was on my way.

Both the SA and tech said they were extremely busy and had approx 50-60 cars in that were being worked on in front of me but that they should be able to let me know something in the next day or so. I was thinking it would be more like Thurs 12/31. But this morning at around 11:45am SA called and said they had it ready!!

Here is the write up to hopefully help those of you above who have had/are having the same problem:
"ROAD TEST VERIFIED A POPPING NOISE FROM THE FT END WHILE DRIVING INTERMITTENTLY. WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE IN THE STALL. VISUAL INSPECTION OF THE SUSP WAS UNABLE TO IDENTIFY THE CAUSE OF THE NOISE. ROAD TESTED MULTIPLE TIMES TO PINPOINT THE NOISE TO THE RIGHT FRONT SUSP AREA. INSTALLED CHASSIS EARS, AND RE-ROAD TESTED MULTIPLE TIMES TO IDENTIFY CAUSE OF THE NOISE AS RIGHT FRONT SUB FRAME RE-ENFORCEMENT BOLTS MIS-TORQUED FROM THE FACTORY. ALLOWING THE FRONT SUBFRAME TO SHIFT UNDER HARD TURNS WHILE BRAKING. RE-TORQUED ALL THE FRONT SUB FRAME BOLTS TO THE PROPER SPEC. RE-TESTED THE VEHICLE, NOISE IS REPAIRED."

I have driven it twice since this morning and haven't had any issues so hoping this has everything back in working order! Also, tech stated that once he was able to pinpoint the problem he could jerk the wheel back and forth while driving and get it to do the "pop" repeatedly. Everything was covered under warranty including the rental so nothing but a little bit of time out of my pocket.

The service department at Mall of Georgia Ford and Marilyn and Donnie were great! Hope this helps anyone who is having the same problem!!
Anyone...Where are these bolts and what is the required torque?

2016mustangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure of the specifics, but my technician said you should be able to bring it to any dealer and tell them what was in the write up I posted above and they should be able to fix it. Torque should be whatever is the factory specs.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
The front subframe bolt torque specification is 85 lb-ft.

The 2 bolts in the front that connect the support bar to the subframe need to be torqued to 89 lb-in. Notice that's INCH pounds, not FOOT pounds ;)

Sponsored

flomoloko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
oh wow, this is great info. Thanks!

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The front subframe bolt torque specification is 85 lb-ft.

The 2 bolts in the front that connect the support bar to the subframe need to be torqued to 89 lb-in. Notice that's INCH pounds, not FOOT pounds ;)
Thank you!
:ford:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP

Could you take and picture or scan the actual record of service/receipt from the dealer?

2016mustangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I am at work now but will try to on my lunch or this afternoon! Also, just an UPDATE, its been over a month since they fixed it and no problems at all!
Sponsored