Sponsored

Front end clunk-clunk

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Front end has started making clunking noises recently. Only happens first thing in the morning when I pull out (going forward)of my parking spot making a hard right(also when turning left). It makes a clunk-clunk sound that is more felt in the steering wheel and car than heard. I just had alignment checked and it’s perfect. Any ideas? Thanks.
****UPDATE/Conclusion ****My best guess is that it is the brakes/brake pads.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Front end has started making clunking noises recently. Only happens first thing in the morning when I pull out (going forward)of my parking spot making a hard right(also when turning left). It makes a clunk-clunk sound that is more felt in the steering wheel and car than heard. I just had alignment checked and it’s perfect. Any ideas? Thanks.
I would check that the strut nut on the top of the strut that is making noise is torqued properly. That's usually what causes any kind of clunking and happens to many when they do springs. It's happened to me on other cars as well.

Lbdyll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
My gt has done this from day one. Only does it when the temp drops. It's the tires scrubbing.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Pulling out this morning I got FOUR clunks! Definitely concerning and getting worse. I’ll check strut bolts for correct tightness and get under car and look for obvious problems.

BellaMacchina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Do you park your car outside? Is your climate humid (particularly in the cool of night)? It could be your brakes experiencing a little corrosion while they sit in the humid air. Sometimes the metal in the discs and the metal in "carbon metallic" brake pads corrode just enough over a few hours that when the car first starts to roll, the brakes have to "break-loose," which can feel like a clunk when it first rolls-off. This also happens sometimes when you wash a car with disc brakes, let it sit and dry and then try to move it.

Sponsored

jeffrt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium - Magnetic
Mine started doing this a few weeks ago too when it got cold, and the noise is gone now that I've taken the summer tires off.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Mine started doing this a few weeks ago too when it got cold, and the noise is gone now that I've taken the summer tires off.
Interesting...I just put the original summer only tires on the car in May. It’s happening consistently every morning, but only happens first thing in the morning. And seems like it started a few weeks ago when it started to get cooler outside.

jeffrt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I did notice a bit of excessive wear on the inside of my front tires when I took them off, so I may have a bit of an alignment issue too though. Not sure if that's the normal wear pattern for these cars? Car tracks nice and straight.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Just had alignment checked last week was perfect. Clunking sound almost sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side only

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Do you park your car outside? Is your climate humid (particularly in the cool of night)? It could be your brakes experiencing a little corrosion while they sit in the humid air. Sometimes the metal in the discs and the metal in "carbon metallic" brake pads corrode just enough over a few hours that when the car first starts to roll, the brakes have to "break-loose," which can feel like a clunk when it first rolls-off. This also happens sometimes when you wash a car with disc brakes, let it sit and dry and then try to move it.
could be brakes. I’ll try and warm them up by going straight forward and back before I make that first turn and see what happens.

Sponsored

jeffrt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mine was passenger side only too. Maybe we should check the strut bolts as mentioned above.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Mine was passenger side only too. Maybe we should check the strut bolts as mentioned above.
I got under car last night...everything looked and felt rock solid.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Mine does this exact same thing. Cold morning, first turn out it does it, then never happens again.
lol, to me it feels like the whole front end is gonna hit the ground.