Clicking sound while turning right

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Rock in the tread is exactly the description of what I've recently started to hear on the passenger side. I only hear it after the car has been driven for a while. Slower speeds, and I hear it best while diving next to a fence or other sound-bouncing wall. I only hear it while driving straight. (I also pulled over to check for pebbles more than once.)

Someone said it could be the floating brake rotors. I could see that being the culprit. Do we have more info or proof on that theory?
Sponsored

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
Mine just developed this (maybe) as well.

It sounded exactly like a rock got stuck in the RF tire - could only hear it while turning left. Thought nothing of it. Drove it a few times and still had the ticking so I pulled over and checked the tire. FWIW it seems nearly impossible for a rock to get stuck in the tread as there really isn't any. And there weren't any rocks. Confused me.

Then about 25 miles of spirited driving later it's MUCH more pronounced on the RF while turning left, and now I also hear it faintly in the LF when turning right.

It does not sound like what's in the video posted above but probably only because of the frequency. The ticking in the video sounds like a garbled mess rather than a precise predictable click.
Mine sounds just like this. The tech actually checked and it’s coming from the rear, he thinks. Going to try a new hub assembly.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Has anyone been able to recreate the sound with the car in a lift?

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Has anyone been able to recreate the sound with the car in a lift?
I have half of a QuickJack sitting in my garage waiting on Costco/QuickJack to figure out where my right side frame is. I'll certainly let you know when I get it up in the air and find out.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
Took my car to the dealer for a similar sound. They first thought it was the center caps. A week later I brought it back because the noise was back, and worse. This time they swapped LR lug nuts to LF and the sound went away so they ordered 20 new lug nuts. I guess the 2 piece lug nuts are trash. Haven't had the sound since.

Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Took my car to the dealer for a similar sound. They first thought it was the center caps. A week later I brought it back because the noise was back, and worse. This time they swapped LR lug nuts to LF and the sound went away so they ordered 20 new lug nuts. I guess the 2 piece lug nuts are trash. Haven't had the sound since.
BS. I have one piece Gorilla lugs.

Car and Driver had some noise similar to this too. Dealer replaced a few things like wheel bearings, etc. Noise never went away until they swapped rims from left to right during a tire replacement as I recall. I think sometimes it has more to do with how everything is fitting together, such that removing and reinstalling the parts is somehow fixing (temporarily at times) the problem.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
BS. I have one piece Gorilla lugs.

Car and Driver had some noise similar to this too. Dealer replaced a few things like wheel bearings, etc. Noise never went away until they swapped rims from left to right during a tire replacement as I recall. I think sometimes it has more to do with how everything is fitting together, such that removing and reinstalling the parts is somehow fixing (temporarily at times) the problem.
Hey man, I'm just relaying what worked to remedy the noise that my car was making.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Hey man, I'm just relaying what worked to remedy the noise that my car was making.
Yup, I hear ya, and thanks. My "BS" comment was not directed at you, but at the person who declared that the reason for which the noise went away.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I have half of a QuickJack sitting in my garage waiting on Costco/QuickJack to figure out where my right side frame is. I'll certainly let you know when I get it up in the air and find out.
Unable to replicate with car up in the air.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Jack the car up, COMPLETELY remove the wheels. Put the wheels back on and be sure to torque to 150lb-ft

This has solved the clicking for me on the few occasions I've heard it over my past 3+ years of ownership. No issue with bearings, brakes, hubs, or lug nuts.

Sponsored

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
Jack the car up, COMPLETELY remove the wheels. Put the wheels back on and be sure to torque to 150lb-ft

This has solved the clicking for me on the few occasions I've heard it over my past 3+ years of ownership. No issue with bearings, brakes, hubs, or lug nuts.
I did that and it helped, but the sound still is there, just less loud. It’s something else. I want to figure this out.

wjs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350; Previous: 2017 GT350, 2016 GT350, 2012 BMW 135i
My 2020 GT350 developed ticking in the driver's side rear while turning right. Took it to the dealer and they tightened lug nuts. It was quite for about 100 miles, ticking came back. Took it to the dealer and they contacted Ford. They replaced left rear hub assembly/wheel bearing. It was quite for about 200 miles, ticking came back. The dealer is contacting Ford again. Maybe they'll replace half shaft next. Has anyone else with recent experiences found the solution?

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
maybe it's just a sound these cars makes due to the combination of parts, particularly the two piece rotors. Or maybe it's the axle bolts, or lug nuts. Or a combination of them all as I said. But has anyone seen any type of failure as a result of this? I have not heard of any, so I feel it's probably better to leave it alone aside from checking the torque on the lugs, as opposed to constantly having some dealership taking things apart and throwing parts at it.

If you recall, Car and Drive's long term test car had the same issue and they couldn't figure it out either. They did say when they swapped the wheels from left to right (I think with new tires) it solved the problem, but that was towards the end of their ownership period, so who knows if it didn't come back.

I say it's normal, or at least, common and not unsafe since there are no failing parts.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
My 2020 GT350 developed ticking in the driver's side rear while turning right. Took it to the dealer and they tightened lug nuts. It was quite for about 100 miles, ticking came back. Took it to the dealer and they contacted Ford. They replaced left rear hub assembly/wheel bearing. It was quite for about 200 miles, ticking came back. The dealer is contacting Ford again. Maybe they'll replace half shaft next. Has anyone else with recent experiences found the solution?
That’s interesting. My right rear hub was replaced under warranty and that finally fixed the issue. I asked others if my local Shelby club and they said there is a nut and washer that like to crack and make noise in the rear hubs. It’s all covered under drive train warranty. So take it back is my thought.

slogan8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have the same clicking issue when turning right. Had my car in for a week and the Ford dealership couldn't track down the issue, blamed it on the rotor and sent me on my way. I'll see what they say about replacing the hub assembly.

That’s interesting. My right rear hub was replaced under warranty and that finally fixed the issue. I asked others if my local Shelby club and they said there is a nut and washer that like to crack and make noise in the rear hubs. It’s all covered under drive train warranty. So take it back is my thought.
By chance do you have the case number they had with Ford that could be referenced by another dealer? If such a thing exists. Would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored