Clicking From Rear Wheel

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey all, so I’m having an issue I really want to solve because it is painfully annoying. I’m getting this obnoxiously loud click from my rear driver side wheel when moving from a stop and upon downshifts when engine braking causes car to jerk a little bit (see video link for noise clip). It really only happens when sudden movement occurs. I’ve had it before and it was the axle nut being loose and now it’s back but torquing the axle but doesn’t seem to be working this time around. I don’t think it’s the hub either because the noise only happens on sudden movements and there is absolutely no play in the wheel. I’m stumped.

Video:
Sponsored

tyoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT ROUSH SC PP
Have you tracked your car or done any hard continuous launches?
It’s either loose axle nuts or your diff bushing is toast.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Almost identical to the noise i had the last few months.

wheel hub / bearing assembly replaced. All good

Willing to bet that’s what yours is

OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Have you tracked your car or done any hard continuous launches?
It’s either loose axle nuts or your diff bushing is toast.
Never tracked and rarely launch it. It’s supercharged so it just spins anyway making launches not that fun :D! I don’t drive it too hard, it’s my only car at the moment so I try to be super nice to it.

tyoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT ROUSH SC PP
Never tracked and rarely launch it. It’s supercharged so it just spins anyway making launches not that fun :D! I don’t drive it too hard, it’s my only car at the moment so I try to be super nice to it.
I would check your diff bushings. Take a look and see if its good, if not there’s your issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Picked up a new hub, gonna jack her up and get it on. Will check diff bushings while it’s up. Update when done!

jimbabwe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Convertible
When you jack the car up, try to bear hug the wheel and give it a good shake back and forth. If there's any play in the wheel then its definitely a bad hub. It could also just be that the axle nut has backed out slightly over time.

If replacing the hub don't forget to get new axle nuts and thrust washers while you're doing it. I replaced my hub and the noise stopped. But needless to say I didn't put the thrust washer back on and now the noise is back after only 1k miles. Going to do it all again just to put the (updated design) thrust washers on...

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So replaced the hub and new axle nuts. Noise is no more. Was most definitely the hub! Thanks all!

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I have this exact noise especially going in reverse and do not have wheel play, I think I have been rolling like this for quite a while. How long can one go on like this? Is it just mostly an annoyance problem?

Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Check and make sure the axle nuts are tight. They have been know to come loose. Lots of folks using loctite and upping the torque. If left too long it will smoke the hub.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'd replace it now. If you wait until there's play, your first signs of 'play' might be when it gets real unpredictable on you accelerating on an onramp, or you could spin out when you didn't expect it.

Play in the hubs is bad news.

They're pretty easy to change out, and its only a matter of time, so yeah, get on that.

OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'd replace it now. If you wait until there's play, your first signs of 'play' might be when it gets real unpredictable on you accelerating on an onramp, or you could spin out when you didn't expect it.

Play in the hubs is bad news.

They're pretty easy to change out, and its only a matter of time, so yeah, get on that.
From the time I posted this i've gone through 3 wheel hubs lol it's actually quite frustrating how often these things go bad. Car is boosted so that's no help but man that god damn clicking is the bane of my existence!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
From the time I posted this i've gone through 3 wheel hubs lol it's actually quite frustrating how often these things go bad. Car is boosted so that's no help but man that god damn clicking is the bane of my existence!
Are you installing new thrust washers when you replace the hubs?

OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yes sir the original ones on the car were very flimsy the new factory ones they sell are much better but i still change them every time just to be safe.
Sponsored