Chris Harris did not like the GT350R!

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

I get the reason why when he explained it, but I guess that we all found the engine exotic, while he wanted it to be a more typical American V8 muscle car with track “bits”. First time I’ve ever been shocked by his opinion. I thought he would have loved it and even done a review on it.

starts around 5:00 talking about boss 302
Sponsored

Reactions: TDC

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Makes sense since he’s from England; he sees the GT350 as a poseur for a European car. Meanwhile here in the states it’s difficult to get a high revving V8 in an affordable package. That’s why we love it so.

I remember when the C6 Z06 was announced and it revved to 7000-7500, I was wowed but not in a financial position to buy one. In was also intrigued by the S2000 revving to 8000-9000 depending on AP1 or AP2. When Ford announced the GT350 engine specs, cost and videos of the exhaust note the deposit went down before the 15’s were delivered and it has been a great experience for the last 4 years. Maybe I should have grown up in Europe :crazy: where it is easier to tickle the high rev funny bone.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Makes sense since he’s from England; he sees the GT350 as a poseur for a European car. Meanwhile here in the states it’s difficult to get a high revving V8 in an affordable package. That’s why we love it so.
I do understand his point of view on the R because I have European friends from Denmark and England. They have each taken a turn in my Mustangs over the years. Interesting that he brought up the Boss. While my friends have remarked about the handling on the R, It was my Boss they were quite enamored with. It's the sound of old school Mustang and it shifts like an old school Mustang and that's really what turns their crank. The "American-ness" of the Mustang is what they're all about.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

I remember when the C6 Z06 was announced and it revved to 7000-7500, I was wowed but not in a financial position to buy one. In was also intrigued by the S2000 revving to 8000-9000 depending on AP1 or AP2. When Ford announced the GT350 engine specs, cost and videos of the exhaust note the deposit went down before the 15’s were delivered and it has been a great experience for the last 4 years. Maybe I should have grown up in Europe :crazy: where it is easier to tickle the high rev funny bone.
Nailed it.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Makes sense. He likes the big torque and feel of a "traditional american V8". Ford set out to build a sports car with the GT350/R and he likes muscle cars. Evident by his approval of the Bullit which is closer to that model than the GT350/R ever would be. I think many share his sentiment on the Voodoo engine and that lack of low end torque makes the car feel slow to many buyers and may be one of the reasons so many end up on used car lots with less than 5,000 miles on them.

I love my GT350, but I'm not foolish enough to think it's for everyone. There are multiple people I've tried to dissuade from buying one because I knew that it wasn't what they were looking for at the end of the day.

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
Personally I find his statement to be very myopic but with that said, most Europeans generally only respect our "inferior" vehicles because they are obnoxiously loud and large with "torque monster" engines and a stellar soundtrack. Our cars have always been more of an impractical novelty to them since "petrol" is so expensive in Europe and in most cities over there, it's difficult to drive and park anything larger than a VW Golf.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Makes sense. He likes the big torque and feel of a "traditional american V8". Ford set out to build a sports car with the GT350/R and he likes muscle cars. Evident by his approval of the Bullit which is closer to that model than the GT350/R ever would be. I think many share his sentiment on the Voodoo engine and that lack of low end torque makes the car feel slow to many buyers and may be one of the reasons so many end up on used car lots with less than 5,000 miles on them.

I love my GT350, but I'm not foolish enough to think it's for everyone. There are multiple people I've tried to dissuade from buying one because I knew that it wasn't what they were looking for at the end of the day.
I am not a muscle car guy so this resonates, I appreciate a v8 but I also like high revving exotic sounding engines. I am curious how many GT350 owners are first time ford owners.

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
It’s impossible to please everyone, no matter what you buy or a company builds. Money no object and you could effortlessly buy any car in the world no matter what you end up with someone’s going to say “Why did you buy that? I would buy xxxxxxxx” Personally I would buy a GT350R. Hell money no object I buy two! No, maybe three!

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
It’s impossible to please everyone, no matter what you buy or a company builds. Money no object and you could effortlessly buy any car in the world no matter what you end up with someone’s going to say “Why did you buy that? I would buy xxxxxxxx” Personally I would buy a GT350R. Hell money no object I buy two! No, maybe three!
I like mine a lot but I've always view the GT350 as the poor man's 911 GT3. I'm a poor man though so it works for me. With unlimited funding I'd certainly move up market.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Ford benchmarked against the GT3, so that’s why it sort of feels like one.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not surprised TBH - given the cars he's driven and has access to, his tastes are a bit more refined than the rest of us :)

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
He admitted he is a Charger man more than a Mustang man at the end... also admitted he owned a Camaro for a while, so he's more a Chevy or Dodge fan ?

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
@Tomster is your hero...mine too.
Sponsored