Sponsored

changing my Eco-boost engine for a Gen 3 Coyote 10 speed in a 2015 chassis, it is the first one?

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 50 Year Edition
this is my daily update...

today i took the front end apart from the EcoBoost, so radiator assembly and everything else around that is removed already, one of my problem is the extra wiring that i have from the LED modules that i have for the Headlights and the LED grills so that took me a little bit more time to disconnect it, however all is going smoothly and so far no problems yet!
20200610_175913.jpg
20200610_175920.jpg
Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
this is my daily update...

today i took the front end apart from the EcoBoost, so radiator assembly and everything else around that is removed already, one of my problem is the extra wiring that i have from the LED modules that i have for the Headlights and the LED grills so that took me a little bit more time to disconnect it, however all is going smoothly and so far no problems yet!
20200610_175913.jpg
20200610_175920.jpg
I have a feeling this swap will even be easier than you would think as you're moving every bit of the body/engine harness from the phase 2 donor to the phase 1 car. Things only go haywire when you start butchering harnesses/electronics which you're definitely not doing. Wiring diagrams are always your friend. It will be a very quick car w/ the 10r80 even in stock form.

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
hey guys... another daily update:

like i said before i am only able to work a few hours at day so this going to take a little more than expected but.. little by little it's going to be done!! so today i took off the drive shaft, exhaust system, all the suspension arms, a half of the engine bay harness, all the remained hoses and gas line, the steering wheel shaft, and so on... literally it is ready to just unbolt the 12 screws of the k-member and the engine will be out!! so that's is the mission tomorrow.

another thing that i noticed today is the Drive Shaft is different, not for size or length but for the pattern bolt of the transmission side instead, so the EcoBoost have 3 bolt pattern and this 10R80 have 4 bolt pattern, so it need to use the GT drive shaft, not sure if it is stronger but i will check if i noticed some difference in size.

here is the pic of today's process:
20200611_174300.jpg
20200611_174304.jpg
20200611_174308.jpg
20200611_174314.jpg
20200611_174317.jpg
20200611_174319.jpg
20200611_174328.jpg
20200611_174331.jpg

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Git 'er done! Huge project but it looks like you're diving in head first!

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
daily update: Stage one is finished!!

the engine and trans is out of the car, also the rest of the harness!!
20200612_141334.jpg
20200612_141340.jpg
20200612_145011.jpg
20200612_151631.jpg
20200612_151636.jpg
20200612_151642.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
now that i have both wiring harness out and i compared together and i just found one difference that i have to figure how to make it work, it is one of the end connectors that goes to the dash harness is just different in shape but most of the wires are similar, so my next step is eater found the 2019 dash harness and swap it (i want this one with the digital cluster) or found the wiring diagram of the 2019 GT to match the wires with my actual 2015 premium EcoBoost (i have this wiring diagram already) if you guys can help me with this if anyone knows about it, i will appreciate it, however this is the only problem that i think is not crazy difficult to make it work, and so far so good!!

i will show you the connectors differences:

the two at left is from the 2015 EcoBoost, and the others two at right is from the 2019 GT
20200612_145802.jpg

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
now that i have both wiring harness out and i compared together and i just found one difference that i have to figure how to make it work, it is one of the end connectors that goes to the dash harness is just different in shape but most of the wires are similar, so my next step is eater found the 2019 dash harness and swap it (i want this one with the digital cluster) or found the wiring diagram of the 2019 GT to match the wires with my actual 2015 premium EcoBoost (i have this wiring diagram already) if you guys can help me with this if anyone knows about it, i will appreciate it, however this is the only problem that i think is not crazy difficult to make it work, and so far so good!!

the two at left is from the 2015 EcoBoost, and the others two at right is from the 2019 GT
20200612_145802.jpg
Bro that's crazy but you are making it happen. When its done I gotta see it. I live in west palm but my mom stays in pembroke pines so I come down once a month

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)

20200612_145802.jpg
Save yourself the time of re-pinning connectors and possible PATS issues by using the interior harness from the 2019 car to make it completely plug and play. It may cost you more now upfront but it will save you headaches and/or possible tuning issues with your tuner down the road. There are probably big enough changes/components and extra parameters in the Body Control Module that the phase 2 engine ECM/Harness will be looking for that may not exist in the phase 1 body control module/harness to cause issues in re-pinning connectors versus grabbing the Phase 2 interior harness/cluster/interior accessories to start with. Modern vehicles today act more like a mini network/LAN that needs all nodes in place to communicate and function properly moreso than a mere simple circuit that you can get away with cutting things out without thought. If it were the same generation of Coyote as your Ecoboost I would feel more comfortable of splicing those carefully using wiring diagrams however since you're going to a 18+ up splicing those could lead up to a potentially tough to diagnose PATS/security issue(s) or confusing no-start condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
Bro that's crazy but you are making it happen. When its done I gotta see it. I live in west palm but my mom stays in pembroke pines so I come down once a month
of course!!! thank you

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
damn!!! I retract my previous statements on everything negative I have said about a swap like this. It doesn't seem like it's gonna be a pain in the ass after all I can't wait to see the finished product.

Sponsored
OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
Save yourself the time of re-pinning connectors and possible PATS issues by using the interior harness from the 2019 car to make it completely plug and play. It may cost you more now upfront but it will save you headaches and/or possible tuning issues with your tuner down the road. There are probably big enough changes/components and extra parameters in the Body Control Module that the phase 2 engine ECM/Harness will be looking for that may not exist in the phase 1 body control module/harness to cause issues in re-pinning connectors versus grabbing the Phase 2 interior harness/cluster/interior accessories to start with. Modern vehicles today act more like a mini network/LAN that needs all nodes in place to communicate and function properly moreso than a mere simple circuit that you can get away with cutting things out without thought. If it were the same generation of Coyote as your Ecoboost I would feel more comfortable of splicing those carefully using wiring diagrams however since you're going to a 18+ up splicing those could lead up to a potentially tough to diagnose PATS/security issue(s) or confusing no-start condition.
i was checking the diagrams and seems like is nothing crazy, the most important part is the BUS cables which they are the same colors, the extra wires is most for miscellaneous things!! for example, the EB phase 1 does't have the windshield washer level water sensor, the 18+ have it, the 18+ have some extra wires to the front radar sensor, that i wont use it, and all those extra wires goes inside to the BMC and so on, but like you said this platform works like a network and all this parameters are fully programmable using Forscan to tell the BCM what have and what is missing.

anyways i will try of course to get the 18+ dash harness but that is a crazy job to get off that dashboard out of the car!! so i will do it if is strictly necessary.

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
damn!!! I retract my previous statements on everything negative I have said about a swap like this. It doesn't seem like it's gonna be a pain in the ass after all I can't wait to see the finished product.
it is possible my friend! it is just matter of time and resources!!

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i was checking the diagrams and seems like is nothing crazy, the most important part is the BUS cables which they are the same colors, the extra wires is most for miscellaneous things!! for example, the EB phase 1 does't have the windshield washer level water sensor, the 18+ have it, the 18+ have some extra wires to the front radar sensor, that i wont use it, and all those extra wires goes inside to the BMC and so on, but like you said this platform works like a network and all this parameters are fully programmable using Forscan to tell the BCM what have and what is missing.

anyways i will try of course to get the 18+ dash harness but that is a crazy job to get off that dashboard out of the car!! so i will do it if is strictly necessary.
Go for it man, it will give you the updated cluster and accessories; removing a dash is not a bad job and a great time to do it while the car is apart anyways. I know the guy who did the phase 1 Ecoboost to phase 1 Coyote spliced the interior connectors but I my concern is the phase 2 ECM talking to the phase 1 BCM, a lot of code/language could have changed since then and seems to high of a risk to set the PATS off or a no-start. Looks like you're doing your research either way, hard to believe an engine swap is so taboo in a Mustang community lol, great job!

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
Go for it man, it will give you the updated cluster and accessories; removing a dash is not a bad job and a great time to do it while the car is apart anyways. I know the guy who did the phase 1 Ecoboost to phase 1 Coyote spliced the interior connectors but I my concern is the phase 2 ECM talking to the phase 1 BCM, a lot of code/language could have changed since then and seems to high of a risk to set the PATS off or a no-start. Looks like you're doing your research either way, hard to believe an engine swap is so taboo in a Mustang community lol, great job!
I don't think it is necessarily taboo, i really think just the cost of everything and potential of major head aches out weigh the rewards, even doing it yourself. I mean maybe if he was to do a GT500 or GT350 swap maybe people would be more ( I would have been more) supportive from the beginning. I mean you look at going from a used eco to a used coyote its between 5-10 grand difference on the used market. while a used eco to a used gt 350 is a 30,000 dollar price gap minimum.
Even though I had my doubts and don't do it moment. I seen what this guy has done so far. He gots my support and if I lived closed I would offer a helping hand.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it is necessarily taboo, i really think just the cost of everything and potential of major head aches out weigh the rewards, even doing it yourself. I mean maybe if he was to do a GT500 or GT350 swap maybe people would be more ( I would have been more) supportive from the beginning. I mean you look at going from a used eco to a used coyote its between 5-10 grand difference on the used market. while a used eco to a used gt 350 is a 30,000 dollar price gap minimum.
Even though I had my doubts and don't do it moment. I seen what this guy has done so far. He gots my support and if I lived closed I would offer a helping hand.
I believe this has always been the case when platforms are new and not vetted out yet. Helping this guy out helps us all get tech knowledge down the road, it even helps me out w/ my non-s550 MN12 Cougar Coyote swap I'm working out. Even with those costs combined with the sentimental value of his car and he is not making a car payment it is still cheaper doing this swap in the long run, even cheaper as it seems like he has connections with parts recyclers. FYI a used Gen 2 or Gen 3 Coyote is still cheaper than the combined costs of building an Ecoboost (which would really mean either going with a Focus ST block or an oldschool Mk1 Focus/Fusion 2.3/2.5 Duratec block w/ forged internals) versus a Coyote which makes gobs of power boosted w/o even needing to open the engine.
Sponsored