Sponsored

changing my Eco-boost engine for a Gen 3 Coyote 10 speed in a 2015 chassis, it is the first one?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I completely understand a car having history. Parting with my old Mustang was one of the hardest things I ever did. I almost had it stolen from me and stabbed someone with the keys getting away (same key is dangling from my rear view mirror).

However, this road you're going down is going to be a huge PITA. My old Mustang (97 sn95) started it's life as a v6 and I swapped in a 5.0 from a junked 95 GT. The manual transmission bolted right up with a bellhousing swap but that was the easiest part. The engine, even with a proper wiring harness, didn't match the codes for the dashboard harness which triggered the theft prevention and caused a slew of problems that forced me to rewire the fuel pump and yank the theft light bulb. The new harness didn't have the passenger side turn signal wiring (for whatever reason) so I had to splice. The high fan speed didn't work so that involved soldering a switch into the ccrm. I never got the dash tachometer to work. And after it was all said and done I always had problems here and there because none of the damn sensors wanted to stay working before every. single. one was replaced. Then the brake lines split and.... anyways.

Your issues will obviously not be anything like mine but the point is that you could have just as many headaches. If you have the time, money, and unparalleled perseverance, then go for it. Mine obviously gave out after a rod bearing seized up because I'm in a 2019 GT.

If you're committed, the best starting advice I can give is to make damn sure you have everything, and I mean everything, before you begin. I say this because, even being thorough, you'll find stuff you're missing part way through and that's the sort of hold up that make you want to stick your foot up someone's rear. So minimizing downtime should be your biggest priority. Besides, these new engines are so sensor driven that you can't afford to be missing anything. Beyond that, all I can do is wish you luck!
Sponsored

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 50 Year Edition
Remember that the Gen 3 Coyote Mustang GTs will have many other upgrades or different components compared to an ecoboost Mustang aside from the engine and transmission. Some off the top of my head: entire exhaust system, driveshaft, rear differential, radiator, oil cooler, front springs, half shafts, K-member, sway bars, chassis tuning/bracing, brakes, etc. Others are probably the harness and ECU (although I'm not sure on that one). While you're at it, add a ported '18 intake (by Bret Barber at Airflow solutions) and long tube headers with catted mid pipes to the new car. Might as well do that while it's being worked on. Those items can run on the stock Ford tune.

Also consider updating to the 2018+ Mustang GT rear valance so you can use the quad tips that the Gen 3 comes with; although probably not necessary as you could probably simply use a 2015-2017 Mustang GT catback.

When do you expect to physically start the work? Good luck in your project and keep us posted here.
i already got everything that i will need! i will start it probably first week of June!!

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
Sure, almost anything is possible. A jet engine can be put into a car if you have enough time and an almost endless supply of money. I applaud you for doing this unique project, but you better have DEEP pockets. The figuring you did cost-wise to do this can without a doubt be higher than you think, and get out of hand, . . . . .quickly.
that is almost true but is not that bad ! i will note every single dollar spent to everybody knows how much can cost a swap like this!

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
Make sure you get engine, transmission, PCM and all harnesses or else you’re dead in water. Let me know if you have any tech questions.
thank you bro! i already have everything!!!

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
Unless you have done the math for every problem you're going to run into coupled with labor and additional parts you need, you'll be over half the price of a brand new 2018+ GTPP1. I get the chassis has sentimental value but this is something that I had to learn to let go of. It's an object, not a living being. In the end, it will never truly be a GT and you could save a lot of money by starting fresh and not dealing with a project. But after all, it's your money and your time.
i bet you are right!! since you are a financial engineer!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
keep the eco, fix it, then buy a 5.0. Easy as that. This is not the 60,70,80, or early 90s where a motor swap is cost effective, unless its a similar set up just bigger. We are in the 21st century, you have computers, electronics, and more crap than one wants to deal with. Now, if you had something like an 05 to 09 body style or what not and just wanted to do the swap to a 5.0 and it was gonna be plug and play, go for it. These are too new to be doing or justifying the cost of an engine swap. I mean, unless you have a wrecked 5.0 fall into your lap with a complete motor, trans, computer, and what not I wouldn't even bother trying. Once you get the 5.0 engine and trans, what about brakes, and I don't even know what else is different on the eco's. Rear ends maybe? I mean, I am not going to try to down your mission and what you want to do, however, at the end of it all it's going to be cheaper to keep the eco and buy a 5.0. Your money though. Have at it.
ohhh yeah of course that i have everything from a donate car, this is the easiest way!! brakes i have done this before, i have the brembo perfomance package from the GT front and rear, also the differential is the same, suspension is adjustable from airlift so no problem with that, cluster, ECM, harnesses, Radiator, Frame, all from the donate GT.

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
I truly believe when labor is factored in its going to be cheaper just to buy a 2018 or a 2020. He said a shop said yeah they could. Well, hell yea the shop is going to say they can, that's money. People forget this part of the business. Also, I seen the story of a Ferrari motor in a mustang. Diesel motor in a camaro, Diesel motor in a charger. Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.
yeah this is true, only labor can go easy 5 grand plus!! in this case i will do on my own, i have a shop with tools and everything that i will need.

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
Better off returning to stock. Unless you have a wide body kit with the fenders cut out it WILL BE EASIER to return it to stock. I returned a Focus ST to stock in 2 weeks (working on it after work) including a full turbo swap on jack stands.
is not that easy!!! cause most of the part it was modified and no stock parts was saved.

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
I completely understand a car having history. Parting with my old Mustang was one of the hardest things I ever did. I almost had it stolen from me and stabbed someone with the keys getting away (same key is dangling from my rear view mirror).

However, this road you're going down is going to be a huge PITA. My old Mustang (97 sn95) started it's life as a v6 and I swapped in a 5.0 from a junked 95 GT. The manual transmission bolted right up with a bellhousing swap but that was the easiest part. The engine, even with a proper wiring harness, didn't match the codes for the dashboard harness which triggered the theft prevention and caused a slew of problems that forced me to rewire the fuel pump and yank the theft light bulb. The new harness didn't have the passenger side turn signal wiring (for whatever reason) so I had to splice. The high fan speed didn't work so that involved soldering a switch into the ccrm. I never got the dash tachometer to work. And after it was all said and done I always had problems here and there because none of the damn sensors wanted to stay working before every. single. one was replaced. Then the brake lines split and.... anyways.

Your issues will obviously not be anything like mine but the point is that you could have just as many headaches. If you have the time, money, and unparalleled perseverance, then go for it. Mine obviously gave out after a rod bearing seized up because I'm in a 2019 GT.

If you're committed, the best starting advice I can give is to make damn sure you have everything, and I mean everything, before you begin. I say this because, even being thorough, you'll find stuff you're missing part way through and that's the sort of hold up that make you want to stick your foot up someone's rear. So minimizing downtime should be your biggest priority. Besides, these new engines are so sensor driven that you can't afford to be missing anything. Beyond that, all I can do is wish you luck!
thank you body!! this ford platform is incredible easy to program all is just computer language and it is compatible. i learn a little bit of that before!!

OP
OP
The RedMus

The RedMus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego Certified
Vehicle(s)
thank you everyone for your wishes and advises!! a little update: i already have all that i need to do this, the engine that i found had only 9K miles, 10 speed transmission, all the harnesses, Radiator, frame, gas pump, ECU, Hoses, so far so good, also i bought MBRP 1-7/8in long tube header with catless midpipe, and the complete catback with X pipe (i prefer the H pipe but for now this what i found) and a JLT CAI, so after all this is ready to go i will need a tune to get the ECU happy with this new parameters (i would like to do e85 also)
20200523_141458.jpg

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Holy sh*t, you're on the move!

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
thank you everyone for your wishes and advises!! a little update: i already have all that i need to do this, the engine that i found had only 9K miles, 10 speed transmission, all the harnesses, Radiator, frame, gas pump, ECU, Hoses, so far so good, also i bought MBRP 1-7/8in long tube header with catless midpipe, and the complete catback with X pipe (i prefer the H pipe but for now this what i found) and a JLT CAI, so after all this is ready to go i will need a tune to get the ECU happy with this new parameters (i would like to do e85 also)
20200523_141458.jpg
You're committed now. See it through. Not a common procedure so it will be interesting.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'd ignore the naysayers. Sure it will be expensive and a PITA. But to some, overcoming a challenge is worth more than the end goal. Good luck!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
20200523_141458.jpg
Wow, that's going to be one loud car. LT headers w/ catless midpipes and no resonators nor mufflers on the catback? Yowzers. You may want to consider a touring exhaust system like Borla S-type w/ Borla resonator or AWE Touring exhaust. With the catless LTs, it will still be pretty loud both the Borla and AWE are straight through designs, no baffles.
Sponsored