Sponsored

Challenger to Mustang

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
I have a later build 2015 GT PP as well and other than a few dash rattles and a slightly misaligned hood it's been perfect. I fixed the dash rattles fairly easily.
How did you easily fix the dash rattle? Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jlab541

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65Fastback
Thanks for the feedback. When I bought my RT Classic, the Scat was way more expensive with options I wanted. Probably will close the deal on a 2015 GT Premium Performance Package tomorrow. If I had bought a Scat probably would have hung in there for a while.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have a 2011 Ram truck and if my mother hadn't bought for me (she was 87 at the time), I would get rid of it because they are just not real reliable. Little stuff falls off of it and despite having only 20,000 miles on it and weekly washings, it is starting to rust.

Not a Chrysler fan.
My first Dodge pickup was a 73 that I put 368,000 miles on it. The bed final rotted through and fell over the frame rails. My second Dodge pickup was an 89 Dakota that I put 256,000 miles on it. Was still running strong with minimal rust when I sold it. My third Dodge pickup was another Dakota, a 99, which is still in the yard with 200,000 it still runs great but after driving it on the beach for 15 years there is too much rust to be worth fixing. I love the looks & size of the Dakota and have had great experience with them so I picked up another for short change. This one is an 01 with 95,000 miles and has the 4.7 overhead cam v8.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I really like the Challenger. I've driven the R/T and Scat Pack as rentals this year. While the 5.7L feels like a V8 tuned for a truck, lots of torque and no high end, the 6.4L moves throughout the powerband. I would love to own a Scat Pack but it's $10k more than a Mustang GT. Even the R/T is a couple thousand more than a GT.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Part of driving a muscle car for me is heritage.
The Mustang has an amazing history (52 years of continous production and counting). The Camaro can't quite match the Mustangs success story, but it's a great Mustang competitor and as strong as ever.

The Dodge Challenger is a very distant third in its story.

The Challenger can't compete with the Mustang or Camaro on a track with corners. It's simply to over weight (4400 lbs).

The Challengers LC (LX) platform is actually an OLD platform using 1998 W220 (front) and 2002 W211 (rear) Mercedes suspension technology.

The biggest reason why I wouldn't own a Challenger (over a Mustang or Camaro) is that it would really bother me to be driving an "old school style" muscle car that isn't fully American anymore.
This would feel very fake and sad to me.

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, also known as FCA, is an Italian-controlled multinational corporation.
Headquarters: London
CEO: Sergio Marchionne (Jun 2009–)
Subsidiaries: Chrysler, Alfa Romeo, Dodge, Maserati, Lancia.

Fiat Chrysler is itself actually controlled by Exor (30.78%).
Exor is an Italian investment company, controlled by the Agnelli family. With a capitalization of US$12 billion, its principal investments include Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, CNH Industrial and Ferrari. Wikipedia"

I realize Dodge is a subsidiary of FCA, and headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan. But Dodge is still owned and controlled by FCA.

Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
lol. If you're in a race, it's not about how strong you are. It's about how fast you are. So muscle is all well and good but if you weight as much as a truck then muscle means diddly squat.
You're on the right path; it's all about power-to-weight ratios. So let's do the math.

A Mustang GT weighs about 3700 lbs and has 435 hp, so that's 8.5 lb per hp. A Challenger 6.4L weighs about 4200 lbs and has 485 hp, so that's 8.6 lbs per hp. Very close!

Many believe that torque wins drag races, so let's do that math, as well. A Mustang GT has 9.2 lbs per lb ft torque, while a Challenger 6.4L has just 8.8 lbs to move per lb ft of torque. Advantage: Challenger.

OP
OP

Jlab541

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65Fastback
For my specific situation is that I own a 5.7 Challenger.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Many believe that torque wins drag races, so let's do that math, as well. A Mustang GT has 9.2 lbs per lb ft torque, while a Challenger 6.4L has just 8.8 lbs to move per lb ft of torque. Advantage: Challenger.
The Challenger 6.4L is about .5 seconds faster in the quarter mile. Big difference in power between it and the GT in lower RPM's.

The Challenger can't compete with the Mustang or Camaro on a track with corners. It's simply to over weight (4400 lbs).

The Challengers LC (LX) platform is actually an OLD platform using 1998 W220 (front) and 2002 W211 (rear) Mercedes suspension technology.

The biggest reason why I wouldn't own a Challenger (over a Mustang or Camaro) is that it would really bother me to be driving an "old school style" muscle car that isn't fully American anymore.
This would feel very fake and sad to me.
Have you ever driven a Challenger? On paper, it sounds like a poor performer but it easily out performs a S197 Mustang on the track. While the S550 handles curves better than a R/T or Scat Pack, I wouldn't say it leaps and bounds better in that regard. It's a big vehicle, but it's very fun to drive. It gets tons of looks and stays true to the original. The original was a big car as well based on an intermediate platform unlike the Mustang and Camaro who's origins come from a compact platform.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
The Challenger 6.4L is about .5 seconds faster in the quarter mile. Big difference in power between it and the GT in lower RPM's.

Have you ever driven a Challenger? On paper, it sounds like a poor performer but it easily out performs a S197 Mustang on the track. While the S550 handles curves better than a R/T or Scat Pack, I wouldn't say it leaps and bounds better in that regard. It's a big vehicle, but it's very fun to drive. It gets tons of looks and stays true to the original. The original was a big car as well based on an intermediate platform unlike the Mustang and Camaro who's origins come from a compact platform.
Doubtful, bench racing from a computer screen and parroting the same tired its too heavy shtick thats prevalent across the internet. Its heavier because its bigger and can actually fit 5 adults. Of course because of the name its always going to be compared to the Camaro and Mustang but its really a different class of car. Now come 2021 when the new Challenger/Charger move to the Alfa Giulia platform then it should be a more even comparison.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
While the S550 handles curves better than a R/T or Scat Pack, I wouldn't say it leaps and bounds better in that regard. It's a big vehicle, but it's very fun to drive. It gets tons of looks and stays true to the original. The original was a big car as well based on an intermediate platform unlike the Mustang and Camaro who's origins come from a compact platform.
It is a little faster than a Hellcat at Grattan as well.

[ame]

Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I test drove a Challenger R/T Plus when I was deciding which muscle/sports car to buy. I really liked it. It felt surprisingly quick for a 4200lb muscle car at 6000+ feet and handled much better than I thought it would. It had a very livable and well thought out interior, I thought.
I hadn't been in a powerful car since I sold my Mustang GT in 2008, so yeah, the 5.7L Hemi impressed me.
I always thought my Mazda CX-7 with the 2.3L turbo felt pretty quick, if not exactly fast.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Part of driving a muscle car for me is heritage.
The Mustang has an amazing history (52 years of continous production and counting). The Camaro can't quite match the Mustangs success story, but it's a great Mustang competitor and as strong as ever.

The Dodge Challenger is a very distant third in its story....
Mustangs and Camaros are Pony Cars, a Challenger is a Muscle car.

At least that's their history. I would definitely call today's Mustang GT a.........GT.

They're Grand Tourers.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Mustangs and Camaros are Pony Cars, a Challenger is a Muscle car.

At least that's their history. I would definitely call today's Mustang GT a.........GT.

They're Grand Tourers.
The history of the Challenger is that of a Pony car just like the Barracuda, Cougar, Firebird, Camaro and Mustang.

The Challenger, Cougar and Firebird tended to be more upscale than the others but still were in the Pony car category.

The definition of a muscle car was very simple. It was a mid-size 2 door sedan with a full size sedan engine.

I would say the Challenger is more of a GT than the Mustang.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Doubtful, bench racing from a computer screen and parroting the same tired its too heavy shtick thats prevalent across the internet.
The Challenger 6.4L runs low 12s all day long. :shrug:
Sponsored

Last edited: