Sponsored

Challenger SRT Hellcat

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Most of these are probably going to be bought by Boomers with money and cruised on weekends only, like most Corvettes I see. I see new Corvettes putting around under the speed limit on the interstate all the time, usually with a pair of white haired retirees in the seats.
Which means most of us probably won't have to worry about having our butts handed to us by one. :lol:
Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Funny that they ran that 10.8 on drag radials I believe. Without them it was 11.2 Still VERY impressive but they are already touting a Factory Stock number and they sure as Hell aren't going to have drag slicks installed factory stock. Most of these are probably going to be bought by Boomers with money and cruised on weekends only, like most Corvettes I see. I see new Corvettes putting around under the speed limit on the interstate all the time, usually with a pair of white haired retirees in the seats.

Nothing against the Corvette either, its just the money lies at the top of the population pyramid.
Dont forget the nice little bald spots.

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
Its still a better bargain to buy a used 2013/2014 gt500 (assuming $65k+ for the hellcat) and to add some bolt ons to achieve 700+ hp at the wheels. Also if I remember correctly, some guy posted an 11.2 stock in his 2013 gt500 on svtperformance. The gt500 is a tire and tune away from high 10's.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Its still a better bargain to buy a used 2013/2014 gt500 (assuming $65k+ for the hellcat) and to add some bolt ons to achieve 700+ hp at the wheels. Also if I remember correctly, some guy posted an 11.2 stock in his 2013 gt500 on svtperformance. The gt500 is a tire and tune away from high 10's.
A used car will always be a better bargain, so probably not really a fair way to compare. :)

But I agree with your point that it wouldn't take much to put a GT500 in the 10s. Or even a GT for that matter, as far as the overall cost relative to buying a Hellcat.

We're of course looking at this from the prospective of a buyer who is simply interested in achieving similar performance to the Hellcat for less money, and doesn't care about any of its 'intangibles' and their subjective value (e.g. exclusivity).

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
A used car will always be a better bargain, so probably not really a fair way to compare.
Exactly correct. Apples to apples comparisons, not apples to oranges. You could take it even farther. Buy some $5K used RWD sport coupe, throw 20 to 25 thousand dollars of performance mods on it and beat the pants off anything in a straight line.

The Hellcat will be good at doing what it is designed for. They really should have put some 305 width tires on that though, it may have been able to run an 11 flat on stock tires possibly with the right tire choice.

Sponsored

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
Of course any used car can be made to be faster, I think that's something we all understand. In the realm of new edge muscle cars, there are few choices. I see comparisons being made between the gt500 and the new hellcat for king of the muscle car hill in terms of horsepower. I'd still favor the gt500 for straight line and handling performance, as I mentioned bolt ons get you 700 hp at the wheels.

As far as ford's response to the hellcat, I've mentioned my guess at a twin turbo 5.0 powerplant reaching 700hp+ in a new gt500. It could be a couple of years before we see that. If that's the case, dodge may be on top with most hp in a new car for a little while.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Of course any used car can be made to be faster, I think that's something we all understand. In the realm of new edge muscle cars, there are few choices. I see comparisons being made between the gt500 and the new hellcat for king of the muscle car hill in terms of horsepower. I'd still favor the gt500 for straight line and handling performance, as I mentioned bolt ons get you 700 hp at the wheels.
I don't think anyone took exception to you comparing the GT500, just to the idea of comparing a used car to a new one and saying it's a better bargain. I was merely pointing out that a used car will pretty much always present a better bargain, so it's not really a fair way to make a performance value comparison. :)

As far as ford's response to the hellcat, I've mentioned my guess at a twin turbo 5.0 powerplant reaching 700hp+ in a new gt500. It could be a couple of years before we see that. If that's the case, dodge may be on top with most hp in a new car for a little while.
Yep, the new muscle car king may get to keep his crown for a couple years at least. Hope Ford does come up with a legitimate answer. But we can't ignore the possibility that they may not have a direct answer, if nothing else, because their overall priorities for the Mustang are a bit different.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
they may not have a direct answer, if nothing else, because their overall priorities for the Mustang are a bit different.
:thumbsup:

Ford also doesn't have a Viper Problem. I do wish they would have a GT40 problem though :D

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I'd be seriously shocked if the HellCat is sub $75K.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I'd be seriously shocked if the HellCat is sub $75K.
I've said before I can see them advertising $69,995, but that would be without $1000 destination and $2000 gas guzzler tax. So a no option "stripper" Hellcat could in my book sneak in at $73,000. Of course if anyone want the 8 speed torque flite automatic they will have to shell out another $1300 I would guess so an auto no option Hellcat would sneak in under that $75K at $74,300.

It is going to be pricey. Not many will be produced and dealers are going to gouge gouge gouge. I'd bet half of them sold for the 2015 MY will be put away as investments or trailered to car shows. Out of that other half most will be used as weekend cruisers (so you will never see one) and maybe all totaled 10% of them produced become daily drivers. I predict now I won't ever see one out on the road in my daily driving/commuting/highway driving. I suppose if you live in a big city down south you may see a couple on the road.

Sponsored

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
I don't think anyone took exception to you comparing the GT500, just to the idea of comparing a used car to a new one and saying it's a better bargain. I was merely pointing out that a used car will pretty much always present a better bargain, so it's not really a fair way to make a performance value comparison. :)
Fair enough, it isn't fair to compare new vs used, it's simply what I would do. I honestly wouldn't look twice at the hellcat even if it was used because I assume a used gt500 will still be cheaper, and can hit 700whp with bolt ons. This is assuming I was cross shopping hot newer muscle cars and not planning on doing some crazy build on a fox body or honda civic. :rolleyes:

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
The Hellcat starts at $59.9k.
247970d1405479165-hellcat-59-9k-dsc03557.jpg
247994d1405479204-hellcat-59-9k-dsc03548.jpg

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
The Z28 does the quarter mile in 12.7, were they towing a trailer behind it.
I think they were taking liberties with their numbers for the competitor cars. 11.8 for the GT500 is also a bit... let's just say 'conservative'... :rolleyes:
Sponsored