Sponsored

Catemp PID- looking for info

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I’m looking to see if any is or can monitor this and pistons what they’re seeing as far as cat temps.

No thanks just cruising, but when you’re in the middle and the end of long pull. Trying to see what they get up to with NA and also boosted for comparisons sake.

With the EPA crackdown, looking for ways to keep the stock cats heathy and how much of a risk we are with their temps.

I can’t look at mine until the car comes out in the spring.

I know the temps fluctuate a great deal and soar when under boost, but cannot remember where they stopped. They drop fairly quickly after a pull so ultimately it would be nice to see a what they are at the end of a pull.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I set up torque today and cat temps were in there

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
If you get a chance maybe log it and see what comes up during the pull.
Thanks!

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
If you get a chance maybe log it and see what comes up during the pull.
Thanks!
Couple logs attached. Short one is start up, longer one is several WOT runs, some cruise, some town driving; limited to WOT runs getting on and off the highway. Got up to 1600 degrees F, they cool off rather quickly after the engine stabilizes, also I put the car in park at the end and at idle they got down to 790, turned the car off and logged again they were still dropping (I thought they would climb a little at first, but just kept dropping) I would expect the cats had burned off any excess while in idle and the only heat still in there at this point was just due to exhaust temp. I should be installing a paxton soon and can do some comparison logs.

Attachments

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thanks!

It’s a start. Really curious what your Paxton will go up to. Who’s tuning it?

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have any logs handy, but I would typically see about 1700F at the end of about a 15-20 sec pull with stock cats & manifolds. I believe 1650F is where the ECU starts its cat overtemp protection routine by richening the AFR. I personally didn't have any issues with the stock cats for the 2.5 - 3 yrs they were on the car with the blower, my only complaint was that they stink when hot - seems to be a common complaint in the issues section. Have since switched out to LTH and high flows.

A note, this PID is an inferred temperature and not an actual reading taken from a probe... so not sure how accurate it is at the end of the day.. but at least it's something.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I don't have any logs handy, but I would typically see about 1700F at the end of about a 15-20 sec pull with stock cats & manifolds. I believe 1650F is where the ECU starts its cat overtemp protection routine by richening the AFR. I personally didn't have any issues with the stock cats for the 2.5 - 3 yrs they were on the car with the blower, my only complaint was that they stink when hot - seems to be a common complaint in the issues section. Have since switched out to LTH and high flows.

A note, this PID is an inferred temperature and not an actual reading taken from a probe... so not sure how accurate it is at the end of the day.. but at least it's something.
Was that 1700* with the blower? Who’s tune on the car?

Yea, trying to get a sense of its accurate or not...

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Was that 1700* with the blower? Who’s tune on the car?

Yea, trying to get a sense of its accurate or not...
Yep that was with the blower and PBD tune.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Yep that was with the blower and PBD tune.
Thanks. Hopefully that’s not enough over the “1650” to melt them. You switched to headers - did you notice much a difference in performance overall?

Sponsored

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Hopefully that’s not enough over the “1650” to melt them. You switched to headers - did you notice much a difference in performance overall?
No problem! Yeah, I'm sure there's a pretty wide safety margin above 1650, don't think there is much to worry about with the cats as long as whatever tune you run leaves that protection routine in place. Like I mentioned, mine were smelly after a pull(not rotten egg, more metallic), but that's about it. Didn't smell like that at any other time.

The LTH and high flows were good for about 40 wheel, I'm betting most of that was the cats. Definitely feels a little more responsive overall. The shop that did the work dyno'd the car before and after, but I wasn't present and they ended up doing it in 4th gear which isn't 1:1, so not sure how skewed the numbers are... the torque numbers seem way low for what this kit should be putting out, but I'm happy with a ballpark.

IMG_5693 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Excellent!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Ok did a log this morning on a 2018 Whipple stage 2. My cot comes on at 1680, which was hit 5 seconds into the pull. I only stayed in it for 6 seconds where it peaked at 1690. However, I’m using 0.75 lambda up top like the gt500, so keep that in mind. I believe the whipple cal runs leaner.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Ok did a log this morning on a 2018 Whipple stage 2. My cot comes on at 1680, which was hit 5 seconds into the pull. I only stayed in it for 6 seconds where it peaked at 1690. However, I’m using 0.75 lambda up top like the gt500, so keep that in mind. I believe the whipple cal runs leaner.
Thanks! Interesting that it came on at 1680. Was this noticeable driving or you saw lambda drop? What is cot lambda on your setup?
Did you see this in the log where it “dropped”?
Sponsored