FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
In November I installed a Roush Phase 2 supercharger at Brenspeed and the Dyno run was done with the airbox cover off. They put it back on for my trip home but said it would run better with it off. I took it off the other day and on the highway with cruise engaged the car surged. It wasn't dramatic but it was noticeable. Since the air box cover was the only thing I'd messed with I reinstalled it today. I hit the highway, engaged cruise and the surge is gone. Any explanation for this. All I could come up with was increased airflow and the ECU in a learning process for fuel management. process.
Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Not sure how that would affect the cruise control, but why would it be better to run it with the cover off? That would just let more hot air from the engine bay into the intake.

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
Put a new throttle position sensor on it. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
FUN2RIDEFAST

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how that would affect the cruise control, but why would it be better to run it with the cover off? That would just let more hot air from the engine bay into the intake.
I'm not sure either but after putting the cover back on the surge in gone.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
The change in airflow is probably tricking the MAF sensor. With the car on the dyno, they didn't have highway speed levels of airflow into the grill. With no cover, the air flows differently into the airbox and through the MAF. Generally increased or decreased airflow is handled just fine by the tune, but if the air is flowing through the MAF pipe differently, then it may not be measuring the airflow accurately anymore. Removing the cover may make more air bypass the sensor itself by changing the amount of flow on the sides of the pipe (sensor is in the center). If the tuner is using a standard Roush calibration for the MAF, then it is intended to have the box closed, and the values in the tune representing airflow were created with a closed box.

OP
OP
FUN2RIDEFAST

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The change in airflow is probably tricking the MAF sensor. With the car on the dyno, they didn't have highway speed levels of airflow into the grill. With no cover, the air flows differently into the airbox and through the MAF. Generally increased or decreased airflow is handled just fine by the tune, but if the air is flowing through the MAF pipe differently, then it may not be measuring the airflow accurately anymore. Removing the cover may make more air bypass the sensor itself by changing the amount of flow on the sides of the pipe (sensor is in the center). If the tuner is using a standard Roush calibration for the MAF, then it is intended to have the box closed, and the values in the tune representing airflow were created with a closed box.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking. It immediately stopped doing it when I put the cover back on.
Sponsored