Sponsored

Car started SMOKING, then bucking a little, now wrench light...

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Now that you bring up the DCT, after the wrench light came on I pulled over and shut the car off for a minute. When I started it back up, I shifted into drive and the shifter light started flashing on the shift knob and then a message popped up on the dash saying to shift into park. After I did that, I was able to put it in drive. So maybe this is a transmission issue? When I dragged my foot through the leak on the floor, it was definitely slippery.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I am certainly no fund of information but after reading that the shifter light blinked and, it requested a switch back to Park, I'm gonna go with the other Tom (@Tomster) and DCT fluid, Tom.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I am certainly no fund of information but after reading that the shifter light blinked and, it requested a switch back to Park, I'm gonna go with the other Tom (@Tomster) and DCT fluid, Tom.
I'm thinking you guys are probably right. Especially since there was a brief amount of smoke also coming form the exhaust area. I was going to read the codes today but Amazon delivered the package to the wrong house! :headbang: :crackup:. Wife is away also so I'm stuck lol, no one around today. First world problems, I realize...

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And yes, I tracked it back in November and the run schedule was in the center console. :headbang: That could have been bad depending on the dealer! Thanks for mentioning it.

Now that you bring up the DCT, after the wrench light came on I pulled over and shut the car off for a minute. When I started it back up, I shifted into drive and the shifter light started flashing on the shift knob and then a message popped up on the dash saying to shift into park. After I did that, I was able to put it in drive. So maybe this is a transmission issue? When I dragged my foot through the leak on the floor, it was definitely slippery.
Make sure every part of your car has zero evidence of track use. Clean the wheel well areas of any track buggers, remove any stickers, make sure the tires don't look like you've been to the track, etc. My guess is you are going to get a new transmission. If the car was bucking due to fluid starvation, I would demand one. I wouldn't settle for a top up and hope it will be OK down the road.

Do you change your own oil? If so, did you put enough in there? Many dealerships screw it up and put 8 qts in by mistake and they have been known to use the wrong oil.

If you do your own oil changes, make sure it was full, and if you are not sure if you got it right, make it full. If the dealership did the oil change, it's on them.

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Looks like it's the transmission:

IMG_1318 Small.jpeg

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Make sure they can't have any reason to deny warranty like Tom said, pretty sure the DCTs are $20k
15K plus whatever it takes to install it, so lets call it 18K bill.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Looks like it's the transmission:

IMG_1318 Small.jpeg
Dont let them talk you into topping it off in lieu of a new trans. How much you want to bet one of the fittings came loose and you bled most (if not all) your fluid out. As I said, there is a TSB about this issue and it is a known problem. You might be able to fill it and go, but there is no doubt damage has been done. I recall the question coming up with Tremec about coasting to a stop after fluid loss. That was a coin toss. Forget about driving miles with no fluid. That trans is now damaged goods and you don't want it.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Hey guys just checked the dipstick again and found the same thing. One side shows oil, the other side is more or less dry:

IMG_1312 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1313 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1314 Medium.jpeg
You are wiping the dipstick off with a towel before checking the oil, correct? I can't see how there would be oil on only one side.

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Yep, I wiped it each time and checked it at least 5 times. Oil on one side only. Never seen anything like this before. Would that happen if the engine oil was really low?

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue