anacar312

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Completely agree. Been using the factory cover that came with my shadow black 2017 since new, zero issues.
Curious about the factory cover... do you feel it has some padding that would provide some ding protection? Or mostly a dust cover?
Sponsored

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I believe the factory covers are the weather shield fabric. My 2013 Boss 302 came with one. I had that car for 7 years and that cover was nice.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
anyone bought from carcovers.com?

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
If you buy from California car cover, use code Supra10 for 10 percent off.

OP
OP
anacar312

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
If you buy from California car cover, use code Supra10 for 10 percent off.
Thanks for the code! Still researching.....

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Curious about the factory cover... do you feel it has some padding that would provide some ding protection? Or mostly a dust cover?

It’s 100% an indoor dust cover...which is 100% all I want or need. I don’t know of any cover that’s gonna provide you some type of ding protection. But no, the factory cover has no padding.

OP
OP
anacar312

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
It’s 100% an indoor dust cover...which is 100% all I want or need. I don’t know of any cover that’s gonna provide you some type of ding protection. But no, the factory cover has no padding.
The "ding protection" is a feature that I have seen on the cover manufacturer websites.... and being the car will be stored/parked in our 2 car garage (with the family truckster right next to it) and there are 2 small kids running around it seems like a feature that may be nice to have..... a bit if extra "insurance" if you will.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
The Dustop fabric has the best ding protection of any cover. I would recommend covering the car and then putting some moving blankets over the side of the car that is exposed to pedestrian use.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Guys, there's 2 types of cover needs. Interior and exterior.

1) Interior, this cover can be just about anything and doesn't need to be fitted. You don't need to worry about mold growth or breathing.

2) Exterior. There's a lot of competing concerns and issues.

First is moisture. If you make your cover "waterproof" (with camp dry or similar) it keeps water and dust on the cover from penetrating through, HOWEVER, it can also mean that IF the car gets moisture on it (like from a cold snap where the metal condensates of an early morning) then that water sits without breathing and can end up molding under the cover. This mold/mildew concern is very limited if you frequently uncover the car, but still.

second is that the cover MUST absolutely MUST be fitted and snug fitting. Wind action is unrelenting and WILL rub your finish to death if the cover is allowed to move frequently with wind action.

The coverking cover I purchased works and fits and looks great, however the plush lining microfibers end up dusting the car, especially with heavy rains as the water eventually seeps through and the fibers separate and leave a fine white residue over the car. Doesn't damage anything and I wash my car quite often, but anything with a nice soft lining will eventually leave residue on your car if it wicks water.

I'm going to consider waterproofing my next cover to make it full water barrier. As I don't let my car sit for long periods under cover.

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
covercraft weathershield hp is what i have. I specifically did not want the factory cover because I did not want to advertise whats under the cover and I did not know how well it would hold up to being used outdoors.

Had some pretty big winds the last few weeks and no scratches that i can see from the cover being blown around on it.

If you go to the covercraft website it has a section explaining the different fabrics.

The ding protection of the fabric seems to be dependent on the thickness, but its not going to protect from a car door being opened into it. Maybe from someone bouncing a ball or very small hail.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I have three outdoor California Car covers for my three cars. They are fantastic, they fit perfectly. Highly recommend it.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
For winter indoor storage I use these cheap throwaway body shop clear covers. You can usually get them for 10 to 15 bucks on eBay and when the seasons over and they’re all full of dust and cruddy you just throw them out. They have a nice elastic band so they don’t move too much and they’re very light weight.

8D32BC2E-2B7F-47DD-A560-C033DBC0B2B7.jpeg
Do you have a link to this on ebay/ Having a hard time finding these...thanks

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase