Car at the dealer :(

Yellowsnowman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt base
Well yesterday, got the oil changed at the dealer (4075 miles). This is my DD for now, but I pulled into my driveway and it felt like someone was hitting the stick shift. Opened door heard a tick, but it wasn’t consistent and I could still feel it in the stick. Shut it down. Waited 10 minutes pulled the dipstick, perfect.

So today went out started it up let it warm up no tick. Like thank god I've just been reading mustang6g forums to much. Headed out to work got about half way there came to a light (only noticeable at stand still) felt it again.

Called dealer explained what was going on and they said bring her in. Pulled into dealer was doing it again, they ask me to shut it off told em na go ahead and get the tech. (Didn’t want to waste time with the mystery sound and dealer couldn’t hear it.) tech came out, heard it right away, pulled hood. He could feel it throughout the engine and felt it in drivetrain. Handed me a loaner and I left. Honestly don’t think it’s a bbq tick or piston slap it was way to inconsistent. He said he would borescope it before a tear down but he said he never heard anything like it before. I’m not a mechanic, nor know as much about these cars as I should yet.

19 mt 5.0gt no modifications.

I’ll update with what they say as things happen. Here is a short clip of the sound

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, sounds like a really heavy bbq tick or a rod knock in a plastic bucket. (or in this case, composite oil pan). Not sure a bore scope will be of much value on this one. Sub'd. Hope you get answers soon!

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
Keep us posted please!

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Damn like Schwerin said that’s more of a thud.

Good luck hopefully it’s not too big of a repair.

So you only feel it in the shifter at idle? Nothing weird under load? Or no power loss?

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I don't think that's the BBQ tick

OP
OP
Yellowsnowman

Yellowsnowman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt base
Damn like Schwerin said that’s more of a thud.

Good luck hopefully it’s not too big of a repair.

So you only feel it in the shifter at idle? Nothing weird under load? Or no power loss?

No power lose, it was very noticeable at stop, not wot, but that’s not to say it wasn’t there. But I would of never noticed it, if it wasn’t for when I put it into gear before shutting it off. I don’t go crazy with the car, sure I got on the throttle after 1500 miles but not revving it out everywhere I go.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
No power lose, it was very noticeable at stop, not wot, but that’s not to say it wasn’t there. But I would of never noticed it, if it wasn’t for when I put it into gear before shutting it off. I don’t go crazy with the car, sure I got on the throttle after 1500 miles but not revving it out everywhere I go.
Damn...fingers crossed for ya, man.

My first thought was something trans related? Input shaft? But I’d think that would be constant.

Let us know what you find out.

Sponsored

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt/cs ,2004 Mustang Mach1, 1984 mustang gt 350
Do you have to put that in just one time, or with every oil change ?
it says like once every 30k, i think, but I just changed mine for the second time and put another bottle in anyway.

OP
OP
Yellowsnowman

Yellowsnowman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt base

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
First oil change, then engine ticking. Sounds like the classic BBQ Tick characteristic. Dealer will probably find the TSB and say it's normal.

OP
OP
Yellowsnowman

Yellowsnowman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt base
First oil change, then engine ticking. Sounds like the classic BBQ Tick characteristic. Dealer will probably find the TSB and say it's normal.

Got the call today and exactly what they said. I had 2 screaming children so no chance to talk about it, but I haven’t picked it up. I’ll stop buy in the morning and have a q&a. My biggest concern is the feeling that this travels through the transmission also. I’ll update tomorrow.

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
Sounds like the DI pump to me. Just like an F150.
Sponsored