Sponsored

Car and Driver 2018 Mustang GT instrument test

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
What Digital Dash in the Taurus? Are you talking about the two 4" or so screens on either side of the speedo? That's the same thing the Fusion has and is basically a gimmick, there's no useful information that you can display on those screens with either car.

The Mustang digital dash is the real deal, looks beautiful (not pixel-ated or cheap like the Fusion/Taurus) and does not lag.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I hadn't seen one in person when I ordered my car in early October and I wasn't going to risk being disappointed when it was delivered.

Btw I never said the SHO had a digital dash, i said digital tach. That's why the Mustang digital dash was on the list of things I didn't want when I ordered my '18 Mustang.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Am I the only one that actually likes the base gauges?

The way TV and phone screen technology are advancing I feel like the digital cluster will look dated fast.
They took a very minimalist design approach that will age just fine. It's the digital gauges that try to emulate the look of real gauges (Audi) that are going to look like shitty arcade game screens in the next 10 years. Actually, they already do.

Higher resolutions aren't going to do much good in a gauge cluster, the pixels are already pretty much not perceivable so advances in consumer screen resolution isn't going to matter. The refresh rates might go up, though. If it's 60hz, a 144hz cluster would probably be a noticeable improvement, but the information on the display itself doesn't really change that fast to matter.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Am I the only one that actually likes the base gauges?

The way TV and phone screen technology are advancing I feel like the digital cluster will look dated fast.
I wouldn't pay $.10 for the digital dash. Give me solid gauges any day.

The digital cluster looks silly, childish.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
It doesn’t have an audible beep or make any noise about it, though if that’s what you’re referencing. :)
The Mazda does have an audible beep as well, so that is what I was referencing. :)

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't want the safe and smart package... all the beeps and lights and crap just bug the hell out of me. I'd rather just turn and look over my shoulder. Only thing I've ever experienced similar to this and LIKED is on the 2017+ Honda Accord, where when you turn on the right blinker, a camera mounted on the mirror turns on and gives you a view of the curb and your blind spot. That was pretty neat.

Does anyone know if the 401A comes standard with ACC and lane-keep assist? I don't think it does, and I hope to god that I'm right because I don't want any of that crap either. A lot of racing clubs are actually banning cars equipped with that technology... NO THANKS!

Sponsored

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
I didn't want the safe and smart package... all the beeps and lights and crap just bug the hell out of me. I'd rather just turn and look over my shoulder. Only thing I've ever experienced similar to this and LIKED is on the 2017+ Honda Accord, where when you turn on the right blinker, a camera mounted on the mirror turns on and gives you a view of the curb and your blind spot. That was pretty neat.

Does anyone know if the 401A comes standard with ACC and lane-keep assist? I don't think it does, and I hope to god that I'm right because I don't want any of that crap either. A lot of racing clubs are actually banning cars equipped with that technology... NO THANKS!
No, not standard. Comes with the safe & smart package.

Why do racing clubs care when you should be able to disable those features?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Certain cars (cough cough BMW) don't allow you to FULLY disable them. Not to mention, there's always the possibility of someone forgetting to disable it before going out to track and causing an accident either when it activates or when they're distracted with trying to disable it

div2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M235i
Certain cars (cough cough BMW) don't allow you to FULLY disable them. Not to mention, there's always the possibility of someone forgetting to disable it before going out to track and causing an accident either when it activates or when they're distracted with trying to disable it
First off, what "racing clubs" are you referring to? There are clubs and businesses that host track days. If there are any that conduct track sessions as competitive events I'm not aware of it- and I'm an HPDE instructor.

Secondly, which BMWs won't allow the driver to completely disable ACC, BLIS, Lane Departure, or Frontal Collision Warning? In my experience with newer Bimmers all driver assistance features can be disabled. That said, there is some discussion among event organizers and instructors about the "Helen Keller" sets of features at track events with respect to making sure that students have disabled them- but that applies to any car so equipped.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is the article I read about it, however, I read it before the update. At the time of the initial publication, it was stated that the BMW CCA (not just specifically the Genesee chapter) had actually enacted a ban of any vehicles with these assist, and the ban has since been lifted. I also read somewhere shortly after that SCCA was having discussions of following suit, but I can't find any information on it, so I suppose that was shot down as well. However, for me, I feel that just the discussion of the matter gives an indication of what's to come, say, 10 years or so from now. http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...er-is-banning-new-bimmers-from-its-trackdays/

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the article I read about it, however, I read it before the update. At the time of the initial publication, it was stated that the BMW CCA (not just specifically the Genesee chapter) had actually enacted a ban of any vehicles with these assist, and the ban has since been lifted. I also read somewhere shortly after that SCCA was having discussions of following suit, but I can't find any information on it, so I suppose that was shot down as well. However, for me, I feel that just the discussion of the matter gives an indication of what's to come, say, 10 years or so from now. http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...er-is-banning-new-bimmers-from-its-trackdays/
More and more cars are going to come with these sorts of things standard or as cheap options.
Tracks and clubs are going to have to get used to the idea and adjust or they won't see people coming to race.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
More and more cars are going to come with these sorts of things standard or as cheap options.
Tracks and clubs are going to have to get used to the idea and adjust or they won't see people coming to race.
I'm confused by this discussion.

At track days, normal FATTs, I don't think any of it will be a problem. It's not real racing, with competitors in your blind-spot.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

At track days, normal FATTs, I don't think any of it will be a problem. It's not real racing, with competitors in your blind-spot.
The main issue is with auto collision avoidance systems and lane keep assist

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I agree with you.

Jake above was talking about some tracks/clubs not liking these features. I'm just saying they're going to have to get used to it if they haven't already.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The main issue is with auto collision avoidance systems and lane keep assist
I get that, I'm just not certain they will trigger during a normal track day or Friday At The Track.

Dunno, maybe sometimes. But I don't think there's supposed to be door-to-door action at those.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Audi doesn't have to worry about their gauges looking dated because their cars from now won't be on the road in a decade.
Just curious, what makes you say this :shrug: My father has an A6 with the 3.0T supercharged engine and i think it's a great car
Sponsored