Sponsored

Car and Driver 2018 Mustang GT instrument test

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I thought BLIS only came with the safe and smart package? I mean, if not, that's cool that I'll be getting it on mine :shrug:
From the order guide it appears that BLIS is only included with the Safe and Smart package.
Correct, I drove a “fully loaded” 400a GT, which included the safe and smart package, it had blis/blind spot monitoring. I also drove two 401a GTs that did not have the safe and smart package, they did not have blis/blind spot monitoring and had those quarter-mirror things on the side view mirrors.
Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
12.6 with a 6 speed manual.
Not on a prepped strip.
With a driver that is not in tuned to the car.
Not bad at all.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
12.6 with a 6 speed manual.
Not on a prepped strip.
With a driver that is not in tuned to the car.
Not bad at all.
Not bad when you put it that way, but pretty bad when you consider they put down a 12.3 in the manual camaro... makes me wonder if maybe the camaro was tested on a prepped strip?

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I ordered my '18 loaded except chose the 400A over the 401A for a few reasons with one of them being the blind spot monitoring system...
On my weekly 600 mile roundtrip interstate commute to work in my '16 SHO, a couple states didn't mow the grass on the sides of the interstate which caused the system to be triggered for hours on end. Eventually it would cause the BLISS system to fault and shut itself off until the car was restarted. I do like the system for more normal driving since all my windows are always tinted 5% but there's no use in having it if it doesn't work right for 9 hours of driving a week.
Now that's an interesting scenario with BLIS, your driving conditions would shy me away from it too. My commute is high density urban - suburb to city and back. I like having it, it works as designed in my environment. I notice more cars have it now, too, which is good.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
There has already been a 12.2 run in a stock 2018 Mustang GT 6 speed. The 6 speed Camaro fast list shows a 12.1@115. C&D also trapped 115. In a straight line the 2018 Mustang and Camaro seem pretty equal.

Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I thought BLIS only came with the safe and smart package? I mean, if not, that's cool that I'll be getting it on mine :shrug:
From the order guide it appears that BLIS is only included with the Safe and Smart package.
Correct, I drove a “fully loaded” 400a GT, which included the safe and smart package, it had blis/blind spot monitoring. I also drove two 401a GTs that did not have the safe and smart package, they did not have blis/blind spot monitoring and had those quarter-mirror things on the side view mirrors.
My bad, you guys are right. Yup it's only on the safe & smart package that I didn't want due to BLIS and ACC. I didn't get the 401A due to not wanting the digital dash (the digital tach in the SHO was terrible).

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Okay, I'll bite - what else did you expect the blind spot light to do besides light up to warn you that something's in your blind spot on that side of the car...?
To be fair, some other brands blind spot will warn you if you signal to move over and someone is in your blind spot (Mazda).

Perhaps that is something he is expecting.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be fair, some other brands blind spot will warn you if you signal to move over and someone is in your blind spot (Mazda).

Perhaps that is something he is expecting.
Blis does that, the light flashes aggressively and repeatedly while your turn signal is on and someone is in your blind spot. It doesn’t have an audible beep or make any noise about it, though if that’s what you’re referencing. :)

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I'll bite - what else did you expect the blind spot light to do besides light up to warn you that something's in your blind spot on that side of the car...?
Maybe he wants it to yell at and slap him. I know looking at mirrors is hard...

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I do recommend Blis and Cross Traffic Alert for everyone. My 15 gtpp had it and it does work fine especially in spirited driving with turn signal first and boom agressive lane take over. The cross traffic alert also helps you backing out from parking spots especially if you are parked between two bigger vehicles. It will show you which direction the car is coming with a beep and warning sign. My cadillac also has blis and cross traffic alert but besides the light it also literally vibrates the seat. It is a weird feeling when the seat vibrates. I am sure ladies would love it.

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
The problem with BLIS, at least with Mazda's (fiancée has it in her CX-5) is that there's not much room for user preferences. On the Mazda you can either disable it entirely, lower the warning tone volume or mute it. My gripe is that when you pass someone, the BLIS warning stays lit until you are about 3-4 car lengths in front of the other car. I never wait that long to change lanes in front of the person whom I just passed (if anything that just pisses off the people behind me waiting for me to get over so they can pass). Pretty much constantly dealing with the warning chime every time I drive her car on the interstate. Wish you could change the "range" at which it trips the sensors.

Would drive my crazy daily driving something like that.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem with BLIS, at least with Mazda's (fiancée has it in her CX-5) is that there's not much room for user preferences. On the Mazda you can either disable it entirely, lower the warning tone volume or mute it. My gripe is that when you pass someone, the BLIS warning stays lit until you are about 3-4 car lengths in front of the other car. I never wait that long to change lanes in front of the person whom I just passed (if anything that just pisses off the people behind me waiting for me to get over so they can pass). Pretty much constantly dealing with the warning chime every time I drive her car on the interstate. Wish you could change the "range" at which it trips the sensors.

Would drive my crazy daily driving something like that.
It varies from car to car. Blis on the Mustang isn’t that aggressive, the audible warning is only for cross-traffic alert while in reverse, the blind spot light lasts for about 1.5-ish car lengths on the Mustang as opposed to the 4+ on Mazda. You can also turn off the cross traffic alert while keeping the blind spot monitoring on with a Mustang. While it’s all using the same “blis tech”, each manufacturer, afaik, options/programs/sets it out differently, and Mazda is known to be a bit overly aggressive with implementation of safety tech/nannies. :)
Admittedly, the cross traffic alert while in reverse on my 2016 Mustang GT is a bit overly aggressive... but (and not to make excuses) I’d rather not get side swiped while backing out when I can’t see out my flanks, so I can’t complain too much there. :D

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Now that's an interesting scenario with BLIS, your driving conditions would shy me away from it too. My commute is high density urban - suburb to city and back. I like having it, it works as designed in my environment. I notice more cars have it now, too, which is good.
My '16 SHO made me realize there was quite a few things I didn't want again plus hearing of complaints from other friends with the new Ford's they owned. Here's my list of things I left off of my '18 Mustang on purpose and why...

BLIS - system would fault like previously described on my car.
Auto highbeams - they would turn on when passing semis blinding the driver if the car didn't see another set of taillights or headlights in front of me. I actually had a couple semi drivers swerve at me over it.
Digital dash - the tach was pitiful in the SHO. Just wasn't smooth at all and the display graphics looked horrible. I expected a lot better on a car with a $47k sticker price.
ACC - After hearing from several friends that their ACC never worked correctly again after hitting a opossum/raccoon on the road and the dealerships couldn't fix it after multiple trips, i don't ever want it.

I did like the cross traffic monitoring system. It definitely kept me from getting hit a few times in parking lots where other drivers were hauling a$$ through the lot as I was backing out of my spot.

Last edited:

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
What Digital Dash in the Taurus? Are you talking about the two 4" or so screens on either side of the speedo? That's the same thing the Fusion has and is basically a gimmick, there's no useful information that you can display on those screens with either car.

The Mustang digital dash is the real deal, looks beautiful (not pixel-ated or cheap like the Fusion/Taurus) and does not lag.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My '16 SHO made me realize there was quite a few things I didn't want again plus hearing of complaints from other friends with the new Ford's they owned...

BLIS - system would fault like previously described on my car.
Auto highbeams - they would turn on when passing semis blinding the driver if the car didn't see another set of taillights or headlights in front of me. I actually had a couple semi drivers swerve at me over it.
Digital dash - the tach was pitiful in the SHO. Just wasn't smooth at all and the display graphics looked horrible. I expected a lot better on a car with a $47k sticker price.
ACC - After hearing from several friends that their ACC never worked correctly again after hitting a opossum/raccoon on the road and the dealerships couldn't fix it after multiple trips, i don't ever want it.

I did like the cross traffic monitoring system. It definitely kept me from getting hit a few times in parking lots where other drivers were hauling a$$ through the lot as I was backing out of my spot.

What you’re describing as a digital dash on the SHO is just two information displays, not a digital dash. The 18s digital gauge cluster is completely different and runs at 60fps. :)
Sponsored