Sponsored

Can't take the clunks! Questions for those that have gone 6R80

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I think every mustang I've owned has had some drivetrain slack that caused a 'clunk' sound.

You can start by replacing some bushings to help support the transmission and rear cradle. May help.

I enjoy the auto and it's solid. A tune really wakes up its performance.
Sponsored

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
6R80 still clunk.
It's not the transmission that is clucking. It's the diff and two piece drive shaft.
This. Especially in the 2-1 downshift when slowing to a stop. It’s not always there but shows up from time to time. Downshifts during spirited driving can also clunk sporadically and almost always upset/drag the chassis. Even worse than the dsg I had in my TDi, and that didn’t even rev match.

The 6r80 is a good trans for eating up miles and is still a good auto transmission in general, but is definitely old technology meaning slow, slushy downshifts and poor paddle response compared to the newer offerings. I went auto only because 90% of my driving is on Kansas highways (completely straight) and its a daily driver/my only car so I picked up the first used mustang that came around at my price and desired features. It took 9 months for me to even find one within 250 miles of where I live, and it happened to be an auto. If I would have had the resources, I would have ordered the mt82.

My suggestion? Either accept the issues in your mt82, trade in for another mt82 in the hopes that the issues are not there, or get something else entirely like a Camaro.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Maybe you wouldn't mind it so much if you drove it more often? I thought it was ridiculous at first, but I really don't even notice it anymore and haven't since it had a few thousand miles on it. If you're putting 100 miles a month on it maybe the experience is a bit too fresh every time you get in.

Just a thought.
^^^This. The clunking was obvious at first. At this point I don't know if it has decreased in volume, or I have become used to it, but I don't seem to notice it anymore.

In any case it's not worth swapping in an auto.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I think every mustang I've owned has had some drivetrain slack that caused a 'clunk' sound.

You can start by replacing some bushings to help support the transmission and rear cradle. May help.

I enjoy the auto and it's solid. A tune really wakes up its performance.
This. My Mach1 also had a clunk with its 3650 and then even when I replaced it with a T-56

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Mine clunks. Don't care.

Clunking doesn't mean anything is wrong with the transmission, doesn't mean it's going to break. As others have said, the clunking is from the rear end, not the trans.

You're obsessing too much, and your expectations are too high.

Sponsored

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Almost every Mustang clunks.. Do what you think is going to make you happy.
Giving yourself 'what if' situations kills the fun of driving the car.

I'm happy and I love my car, whether it clunks or not! You could always go down the route of getting a trans-mounted shifter.

OP
OP
Shawn 94 GT

Shawn 94 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Mustang GT PP1 A10
I am not trying to create a situation where people that own MT-82 cars have to justify owning them, or defend themselves for owning them. I know a lot of guys love them, and that's great. Wish I was one of them.

I don't think I am expecting too much, or being too pick when I ask that the brand new car at least perform as well as the very similar car that I traded in on it.

Once again, maybe mine is worse than most, maybe there is actually something wrong with it, but I have never experienced anything close to the sloppyness from any other car unless something was wrong. Everyone keeps saying that all Mustangs have some clunks to them, and to an extent I guess that's true, but nothing like this. My '11 GT with the 3.73 never had anything like this problem in the 36k miles that I had it. It didn't shift as nice as the newer versions, but it was a much more solid feeling drive train. It didn't have the Torsen though, and that makes me wonder.

I actually had a '03 GT at the same time I had the '11 with the 3650, and I never had any problems with the drive train on it, and it had almost 170k on it when I sold it.

If you've ever driven a car or truck with really bad universal joints, that is what it feels like.

I often wonder what the difference would be with a standard non-Torsen diff. I wonder if that would cure any of it?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't think I am expecting too much, or being too pick when I ask that the brand new car at least perform as well as the very similar car that I traded in on it.

Once again, maybe mine is worse than most, maybe there is actually something wrong with it, but I have never experienced anything close to the sloppyness from any other car unless something was wrong. Everyone keeps saying that all Mustangs have some clunks to them, and to an extent I guess that's true, but nothing like this. My '11 GT with the 3.73 never had anything like this problem in the 36k miles that I had it. It didn't shift as nice as the newer versions, but it was a much more solid feeling drive train. It didn't have the Torsen though, and that makes me wonder.

I actually had a '03 GT at the same time I had the '11 with the 3650, and I never had any problems with the drive train on it, and it had almost 170k on it when I sold it.

If you've ever driven a car or truck with really bad universal joints, that is what it feels like.

I often wonder what the difference would be with a standard non-Torsen diff. I wonder if that would cure any of it?
Go to the dealer and have them find out if something is loose. As I posted earlier I had a 2015 GT base model and it had the same clunk. It's not the Torsen making the noise. Although who knows - maybe there's something actually wrong with your car. It's hard to know based on text over the internet.

I owned a couple 2011 Mustangs and they didn't clunk in the same way as the newer models with IRS, but they also didn't ride as well or turn corners anywhere near the way the newer cars can. It doesn't bother me if you don't like your Mustang and I don't feel I have to justify anything. I feel the same way about people that complain about the Mustang interior. To me the interior is nicer than I need.

For a really quiet car with great panel fits there are many options out there. I don't shop for that kind of car, so I'm not an expert on them. I won't give you advice on what to look for as a replacement for your Mustang.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
The clunking and gear whine is normal. Mine whines in 2nd gear. Yours might be slightly worse than other's, but it sounds like it's still within normal parameters.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...I don't think I am expecting too much, or being too pick when I ask that the brand new car at least perform as well as the very similar car that I traded in on it. .....My '11 GT with the 3.73 never had anything like this problem in the 36k miles that I had it. It didn't shift as nice as the newer versions, but it was a much more solid feeling drive train.
Your new(er) car has IRS, which has positives and negatives. It's a better ride & handling, but it seems the clunking is more.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I am not trying to create a situation where people that own MT-82 cars have to justify owning them, or defend themselves for owning them. I know a lot of guys love them, and that's great. Wish I was one of them.

SRA vs IRA there is a noise difference. An IRA will transmit more noise into the cabin when not insulated properly.
Being Ford's first mass produced IRS Mustang, they probably didn't have enough experience in making it refined and quiet. It's well known the under body in the rear is not very insulated.
Regarding standard non-torsen diffs. I had an 3.15 auto and now I have a 3.31 manual, they both clicked and clunked when shifting gears. The auto is a bit better because the torque is never removed from the drivetrain when shifting but going from R to D will result clunking.

Last edited:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Since an IRS bolts directly to the chassis (even with bushings) there will be more noise transmitted than on a leaf or link rear end.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS

Agree about the 03/04's. But what about those damned creaky steering rack bushings. :D

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT

I had an 07 with a 3650 and it sounded like a clothes dryer with marbles in it. There was nothing great about the 3650.:headbonk:
Sponsored