Sponsored

Can you tell the different between 87 and 93 octane?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I love how you leave out the part where it says "For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended."
Well it also says DO NOT use e85 or concentrations of 15% or higher but I see many premium advocates who quote the manual as high octane is best totally ignoring those facts as well. Bottom line is people who swear by 93 are just gonna read what they want too. They will say that 87 is bad even though the manual says its designed for it, and then use e85 and concentrations of 20% plus and say its fine even though it says specifically in the manual not to use those. So dont use what it says is fine because its bad and use what it says is bad because its fine. very confused people here. LOL
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Dude, have you tried the new wonder fuel Allinol? ;)
I did but my car developed erectile dysfunction, thoughts of suicide and gained weight in weird places.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
There was actually some great racing today, especially in the midfield. The 2nd tier teams have gotten much faster this year.
Last week wasn't bad either. Today was great, lots of great moves, except for Leclerc on Vettel.....

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Well it also says DO NOT use e85 or concentrations of 15% or higher but I see many premium advocates who quote the manual as high octane is beat totally ignoring those facts as well. Bottom line is people who swear by 93 are just gonna read what they want too. They will say that 87 is bad even though the manual says its designed for it, and then use e85 and concentrations of 20% plus and say its fine even though it says specifically in the manual not to use those. So dont use what it says is fine because its bad and use what it says is bad because its fine. very confused people here. LOL
I'm sorry, and I don't mean this offensively, but you seem confused. For one, the manual says e15 is safe. The whole problem with higher percentages of ethanol is mostly centered around its corrosive nature. To a lesser degree, ethanol having less energy per volume can be an issue if the fuel injectors can't keep up, or have their duty cycle maxed out. You're clearly aware of the corrosion. However, you yourself are displaying the tendencies you so describe in 93 advocates when you ignore the performance benefit of e85.

E85 has an octane rating of 100. So, in perfect conditions, unleaded 100 octane fuel will perform the same. This means that someone can go and get a 100 octane tune and see the same gains. I'm going to reiterate this. The gen 3 coyote, without any mechanical change, will see a boost in performance by using 100 octane. Engines are extremely sophisticated and complex pieces of equipment. One doesn't just go and do something and "accidentally" find themselves with 50 more horsepower. To that note, an engine isn't designed around any specific octane. This engine has elements that are designed and engineered to take advantage of higher octane fuel. Conversely, it has design elements that enable it to use lower octane fuel.

Side note to anyone else, I know ethanol has a cooling affect that lowers the octane requirements. E85 is popular because it works without modifications and can be obtained at the pump for cheaper than 93. 100 octane unleaded fuel would run someone close to $200 for one tank, and can't be filled up at any station.

I also never said 87 octane is "bad." I specifically said its per application. There are diminishing returns. I would never tell someone running a 9/9.5:1 compression to go out and fill up with 93. Let's use Ford's older, iron head (oh those lovely e7 garbage heads...) pushrod 302 that used to be in the Mustangs of old. In its stock form, running 93 would actually be bad (but also safe to use...) because the engine isn't capable of optimally using all of the fuel. Does this mean that 93, in general, is bad? Not one bit.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Try 87 and a bottle of this... beats 93 only

ci-everclear-190-proof-4513dfec264c7ab1.jpg
I just had a stupid mental image of if pirates of the Caribbean were made with modern tech. I pictured jonny depp yelling "where's all the rum gone!?" As someone else is dumping it into a fuel tank. Then the music kicks off as a boat sputters around with rum and a sad jack sparrow trying to sniff the fumes.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
My friend IM mostly just yanking your chain and others as I am really just over the whole gas argument being brought up once a week. But with that said I must point out...
For one, the manual says e15 is safe.
Yes that is why I said concentrations over 15% as many have said they do. Over means 16 plus % :) and Ford specifically says not too.

the manual says e15 is safe. The whole problem with higher percentages of ethanol is mostly centered around its corrosive nature.
Correct which is why I said its funny those who say ethanol gas is bad because its corrosive then turn around and put in e85 which last time a checked is 85 plus % ethanol. which I would figure is highly corrosive more so then 15% yet it is totally ignored because well, performance. which again the manual says DO NOT USE E85 in this engine... yet they do and claim greatness while saying 87 is bad which both are in direct conflict with the manual.

I just find it interesting those trumping 93 while poo pooing 87 as bad and pointing to the manual as proof then turn right around and ignore the manual on e85 usage and on custom mixes of 16% or more.

And you don't offend me I love these back and forths :)

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Nature designed your body to run off water. Dose it get better performance form monster/ redbull/ coffee? sure it does but will drinking water mess you up and cause you to break down and feel like crap through the whole day ... NO!

Here let me fast track this thread

93 is better no 87 is just fine

There are studys that show 93 is a waste... they are lies

Ford designed the car too...they are idiots.

Are you a gas expert ? no but I can google and cut and paste to prove im right.

blah blah compression... blah blah timing blah blah top tier..oh hell here we go with top tier

its just marketing...I can feel the difference.

no really its a consortium of gas companies that just want you to buy their over priced gas... no really i can feel the difference.

General motors sucks fords best after saying ford engineers are idiots

well general motors owns the trademark for top tier... they do? yes? its marketing.. well i can feel the difference.

They can have my 93 when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

DID I miss anything? can we fast track this and not have the 400th thread on 87 vs 93

Screenshot_9.jpg
Now that is down right funny .................. :sunglasses:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I’m usually not one of those guys but in all seriousness, if you are even contemplating using 87 octane then buy a Yugo.
Fixed it ................ :crackup: