Can you disable yellow turn signal DRL?

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I've done a full day of search but I could not find a solution to turn the yellow turn signal DRLs.

I'm not even sure if they're called the DRLs but I'm referring to those lights in the picture I attached.

There is an option to disable DRL in my digital gauge cluster settings menu, but it did nothing.

I have Forscan and OBD transmitter so it would be great if it's modifiable.

Thanks!
abbe765ab3893fa5115840f931766ea0x.jpg

EDIT
The lights I was referring were Amber lights not DRL, thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The S550 DRL would be the white tri-bar LED lights directly above the amber signal/parking lamp assembly; this applies to all 2015-2020 S550ā€™s.

In your image, you have circled the signal/parking lamp assembly. Just curious, why would you want to disable the park/signal lamps? In most States if you had to go through a vehicle safety inspection, the vehicle would fail for inop front signals.

This below thread has a ton of Forscan updates and info to adjust the S550 ā€œAs Builtā€ coding. I do recall seeing ā€œDRLā€ discussions in this link, so youā€™ll have to read through (itā€™s a huge thread):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/modifying-as-built-data-guide.61773/page-141#post-2629287

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
just buy the switch back bulbs.. least they will be white till you use the turn signal

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
The S550 DRL would be the white tri-bar LED lights directly above the amber signal/parking lamp assembly; this applies to all 2015-2020 S550ā€™s.

In your image, you have circled the signal/parking lamp assembly. Just curious, why would you want to disable the park/signal lamps?
Yeah, I was not sure what to call those lights since they seem to be always on but, shoot. I never knew this would a law related matter. I just canā€™t stand these yellow lights ruining the chic/modern look of front fascia.

just buy the switch back bulbs.. least they will be white till you use the turn signal
That would be very convenient but do you think thereā€™s such bulb for 2018-2019 s550? Unlike the previous gen, current year model seems to have multiple light bulbs inside of the light assembly. I will go check on it!

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I was not sure what to call those lights since they seem to be always on but, shoot. I never knew this would a law related matter. I just canā€™t stand these yellow lights ruining the chic/modern look of front fascia.

That would be very convenient but do you think thereā€™s such bulb for 2018-2019 s550? Unlike the previous gen, current year model seems to have multiple light bulbs inside of the light assembly. I will go check on it!
2018+ uses LEDs there.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

You could tint the amber lights to make them less noticeable. The amber signal/park lamps are only on when:

1) making lane changes (L or R signals)
2) selecting only the parking lamps from the light indicator selector
3) when headlights are turned on

The DRLā€™s are on 24/7/365, unless you are able to change the As Built to turn them off.

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2018+ uses LEDs there.
Yeah I figured I would need to buy at least 6 to 8 Switchback LEDs if I were to change them all. But I think the light assemblies are glue sealed making it very troublesome to replace the bulbs if replaceable at all :/

You could tint the amber lights to make them less noticeable.
I guess I will leave the headlights off and just have the DRL and Fog lamps on at night lol

Well, this is an option... there are several styles and manufacturers
Unfortunately mineā€™s a 2019 model. I think 15-17 only had one amber bulb on each side which made it very easy to replace with switchback leds.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2

In your image, you have circled the signal/parking lamp assembly. Just curious, why would you want to disable the park/signal lamps? In most States if you had to go through a vehicle safety inspection, the vehicle would fail for inop front signals.

This below thread has a ton of Forscan updates and info to adjust the S550 ā€œAs Builtā€ coding. I do recall seeing ā€œDRLā€ discussions in this link, so youā€™ll have to read through (itā€™s a huge thread):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/modifying-as-built-data-guide.61773/page-141#post-2629287
I'm not sure about the '18+, but on the '15-'17s those tri-bar LEDs are not the DRLs. DRLs are something else entirely and based on the country the car was shipped to.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I would have thought it must be possible to revert them to UK spec where they are direction indicators only and off unless used.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
I would have thought it must be possible to revert them to UK spec where they are direction indicators only and off unless used.
I never knew Euro standard ones are that way. Thanks for the motivation now time for some research lol

Edit: wow.. white lights looks very clean and chic
ģŗ”ģ²˜.JPG

15 Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertable
I'm not sure about the '18+, but on the '15-'17s those tri-bar LEDs are not the DRLs. DRLs are something else entirely and based on the country the car was shipped to.
How did you come to this conclusion? This is not true at all.
On my 15, the tri bar lights illuminate every time my transmission is out of park, and this is consistent with the lighting section of my owners manual.
You may select to turn this feature off by using the information display if you wish. I get a discount from my insurance company for having DRL's.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
On my 15, the tri bar lights illuminate every time my transmission is out of park, and this is consistent with the lighting section of my owners manual.
You may select to turn this feature off by using the information display if you wish. I get a discount from my insurance company for having DRL's.
My tri bars illuminate everytime whether DRL is on or off. My actual projector only illuminates at night or if my DRL are on.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
The three bars are classified as accent lighting as they do not fit the requirements for Daytime Running Lamps. It's not really a conclusion I came to, just something listed in the standard features. If you're getting a discount for them, great. Don't tell your insurance company they are wrong.

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I never knew Euro standard ones are that way. Thanks for the motivation now time for some research lol

Edit: wow.. white lights looks very clean and chic
ģŗ”ģ²˜.JPG
Hoping for an update! It would make my black mustang killer. Just the tint ain't cutting it.
Sponsored