Calipers stuck on rotors

Billy2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
This has been a common problem for me everytime i wash the car or pull in garage after it’s been raining.The first time this happened the car wouldn’t move when I was in reverse so I when I went hard on the gas I heard a loud bang,thought I busted something for sure.Happened again yesterday after washing my car,I tried rocking it and wouldn’t budge so I wacked the front calipers and rotors with a rubber mallet a few times and the calipers released from the rotors.Anybody have this problem? It seems like the rust left on the rotors after washing and raining is the problem.Thanks.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Which calipers?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have had another car do this. Start car and press brake petal firmly. This will usually do the trick.

If you are from up north and drive the car in the winter, it is probably residual salt coming off and speeding up the rusting process.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I've yet to experience it in my car, but have in my truck. I've learned before attempting to move, I mash the brakes a few times. Not with a lot of pressure. Just enough to work the caliper and pad against the disc. It helps, if not gets rid of the problem completely.

In rain situations, you might let the car roll down the drive first, to remove the obvious, before driving in. As you do drive in, gently ride the brakes.

I live on something of a short residential block. After washing the body and then the wheels, I do something of a parade lap around the block, letting the pads rub the discs by themselves, removing any rust and moisture, while shaking loose any residual water.

Once in the garage, I might have one or two spots on the body to wipe down. The barrels in the rims get wiped clean (moving the wheels reveals spots previously blocked by the caliper). Otherwise, she's GTG.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Mine does it too, it’s normal. It’s just temporary surface rust on the rotor.

1995_4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kendall
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th GT LE, 1966 "A" code, 2019 Energi
Are the front rotors new? Are they in specs for width?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Happened all the time with my 2018 GT. One time it was so bad that it broke the rear brake pad in half so I assume it’s the Metallic pads rusting onto the rotors With the emergency brake on. Lately I have been parking it in gear without the emergency brake after washing it and have not had that problem anymore, sticks a little bit, but not nearly as bad.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Billy2015GT

Billy2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Happened all the time with my 2018 GT. One time it was so bad that it broke the rear brake pad in half so I assume it’s the Metallic pads rusting onto the rotors With the emergency brake on. Lately I have been parking it in gear without the emergency brake after washing it and have not had that problem anymore, sticks a little bit, but not nearly as bad.
A friend of mine has a 2018 GT also and it happened everytime he washed it.He switched out his brake pads to the powerstop carbon fibers and never had this problem again.I’ll be changing mine soon.One time it was really bad for me also, when the pads released from the rotors it was so loud that I thought I did some serious damage to something.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
are the pads very tight in the calipers and not moving back off the disk when the brake pedal is released ?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I have to avoid engaging the parking brake (R) if i park over night after driving in the rain. I am luck in that my garage is level so I leave the car parked in gear.
That you are having the problem at the front rotor is a different problem. Should not happen. I do not have a good suggestion but do have a suggestion.
On a dry day after driving during which you do not have to use the brakes excessively. When you park at home, or a store go around and check the wheels to see if they are "hot". The wheels will be some warm which is normal but should not be hot from ordinary driving. If one wheel is hotter or much warmer than the others that might be a clue. May have a brake pad dragging. This would allow the normal rust to partially stick the pads to the rotor.

Note- if a brake is dragging the wheel can be very hot so test touch the same way you would a hot stove.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I live on something of a short residential block. After washing the body and then the wheels, I do something of a parade lap around the block, letting the pads rub the discs by themselves, removing any rust and moisture, while shaking loose any residual water.
This is the best way. I do it after every wash and never have had an issue with any car we’ve owned. Just enough to get all the water out of there
Sponsored