Sponsored

C8 Corvette with Flat Plane Crank

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello all.. I am sure some of you have already read about the upcoming next gen Corvette. Obviously its going to be a mid engine change configuration. Why I am posting this thread is not to bring attention to the Vette but to highlight the fact GM is finally ditching that push rod bullshit to the dumpster permanently for DOHC (at least for the Vette) and they are going to adapt the FPC.

I have been told from a Ford insider that Voodoo FPC occurred a setback during development and a key engineer was fired. This setback wasn't completely recovered and when the Voodoo was introduced the NVH issues were not corrected due to time constraints. This explains the abnormal high levels of NVH Shelby 350 owners are well aware of and there is no way to circumvent besides adding more sound deadening.

Please share your thoughts especially if you own a Shelby 350/350R.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/03/mid-engined-c8-corvette-1000-hp-all-wheel-drive-hybrid/

GM executive crash which prompts need for mid-engine Pace Car.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2018/06/04/detroit-pace-car-crash-new-corvette/668149002/
Sponsored

OP
OP

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Also please share your thoughts on how the new GT500 will compare to the next gen Vette. Or do you think it will be able to compete with it or is the snake going to be out of its league?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
GM executive crash which prompts need for mid-engine Pace Car.

This sentence makes no sense to me.

What would happen if a GM exec wrecks a mid-engined pace car? An 'all-engine' pace car? A 'no-engine' pace car? :frusty:

OP
OP

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This sentence makes no sense to me.

You have to read the link in order to understand it. In summary the wreck cultivated the need for the engine to be moved due to the better handling in that particular turn and situation, that's all. The engine going to be moved wreck or no wreck, the article just highlighted if it were mid engine the wreck probably would not have happed. I guess we will see if the same GM executive will attempt it again in the C8.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I'll take op words with a grain of salt. "pushrod bullshit" just a fyi the quickest "cars" in the world still use pushrods, those engines have their place. the GM exec accident was just that.. accident. Had nothing to do with the car, whether he lifted when he saw the 2 seater or was just a little too happy with the throttle, shit happens, even to the best drivers in the world. If you blame it on the car then all of our mustangs must be junk since every weekend is a new video of someone not binning it into a ditch/curb/crowd. We know its not the car its the driver. Ill trust your insider info as much as i do the autozone guy for "intel" on the GT500

OP
OP

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
"I'll take op words with a grain of salt. "pushrod bullshit" just a fyi the quickest "cars" in the world still use pushrods, those engines have their place. the GM exec accident was just that.. accident. Had nothing to do with the car, whether he lifted when he saw the 2 seater or was just a little too happy with the throttle, shit happens, even to the best drivers in the world. If you blame it on the car then all of our mustangs must be junk since every weekend is a new video of someone not binning it into a ditch/curb/crowd. We know its not the car its the driver. Ill trust your insider info as much as i do the autozone guy for "intel" on the GT500"

Okay buddy am I suppose to be offended?? I am just sharing information. I could care less how you feel. Obviously the pushrod comment stung your buns a little bit. I will be the bigger guy and apologize about that. I was not saying who was at fault about the wreck either, just pointing out the article that directed the wreck towards the mid engine. The guy escaped harm free and ultimately that's most important about that.

Until you show us proof the quickest pushrod in the world beating the quickest DOHC in the world I will trust your "push-rod" intel with the same Autozone clerk ;).

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Until you show us proof the quickest pushrod in the world beating the quickest DOHC in the world I will trust your "push-rod" intel with the same Autozone clerk ;).
Look at any top fuel “car”.. those 10-13k+ hp engines... yeah pushrod tech..

OP
OP

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Look at any top fuel “car”.. those 10-13k+ hp engines... yeah pushrod tech..
As I said before " beating the quickest DOHC in the world"... well you know the rest.

Anyway we are getting side-tracked lets stay on topic subject please... the FPC in the C8 Vette.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Doubt GM will put a flat plane V8 in the next vette. If they go forced induction there is little reason to use a flat plane configuration because the small improvement in top end breathing can easily be compensated for by adding a little extra boost. In a N/A engine I think GM will still go with more displacement which is difficult with the flat plane due to vibrations. Maybe they will, but I just don’t see them being as adventurous as Ford in the engine department.

As far as the crash and how it relates to a mid-engine vette, they are completely unrelated. The ME vett has been in development for years now. The crash this weekend has no bearing on what GM decides to do with the Vette IMO

-T

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
You have to read the link in order to understand it. In summary the wreck cultivated the need for the engine to be moved due to the better handling in that particular turn and situation, that's all. The engine going to be moved wreck or no wreck, the article just highlighted if it were mid engine the wreck probably would not have happed. I guess we will see if the same GM executive will attempt it again in the C8.

I read the article and it sounds really stupid to me. Sounded like a lot of childish blame-gaming going on. What shocks me is if any of that article actually came from GM execs they are basically saying all the engineering they've done up to this point was worthless and that every corvette that has come to market has dangerous handling characteristics that even a seasoned race veteran can screw up in.

edit: Also, jmcatee10, please use the 'quote' button when responding to someone.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Doubt GM will put a flat plane V8 in the next vette. If they go forced induction there is little reason to use a flat plane configuration because the small improvement in top end breathing can easily be compensated for by adding a little extra boost. In a N/A engine I think GM will still go with more displacement which is difficult with the flat plane due to vibrations. Maybe they will, but I just don’t see them being as adventurous as Ford in the engine department.

As far as the crash and how it relates to a mid-engine vette, they are completely unrelated. The ME vett has been in development for years now. The crash this weekend has no bearing on what GM decides to do with the Vette IMO

-T
I agree. IIRC most rumors still have the engines for the ME vette being at lease 5.5L in displacement.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have been told from a Ford insider that Voodoo FPC occurred a setback during development and a key engineer was fired. This setback wasn't completely recovered and when the Voodoo was introduced the NVH issues were not corrected due to time constraints. This explains the abnormal high levels of NVH Shelby 350 owners are well aware of and there is no way to circumvent besides adding more sound deadening.

Please share your thoughts especially if you own a Shelby 350/350R.
Does the Shelby Voodoo engine have more NVH than a CPC V8? Yes.

"ABNORMAL(sic) HIGH LEVELS"? No.

"ADDING MORE SOUND DEADENING" No, didn't happen.

Jim - your post is very negative on several topics. Maybe it's just the way you write. I hope my response was helpful/informative to you on the topic of the NVH of the Voodoo engine.

OP
OP

jmcatee10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Jim - your post is very negative on several topics. Maybe it's just the way you write. I hope my response was helpful/informative to you on the topic of the NVH of the Voodoo engine.
Thanks for the feedback and responses to all. I wasn't hoping to sound negative towards the FPC.. I actually like the engine I was shocked that GM may use that technology in the ME vette, IF the article ends up being true. I will say that I was negative towards push-rods. As this is a S550 forum all owners or potential owners like DOHC. I own a couple of very nice push-rod vehicles and a S550. I can afford to bash either technologies.

For future references it's my writing style. I am the most positive person you could meet. I don't get excited about keyboard commandos (the Autozone comment) until you prove what I typed was incorrect, then that commando is just lost in their feelings. I have female friends that behave the exact same way, so its all good.

Does the Shelby Voodoo engine have more NVH than a CPC V8? Yes.

"ABNORMAL(sic) HIGH LEVELS"? No.

"ADDING MORE SOUND DEADENING" No, didn't happen.
The NVH could have been less on the voodoo, that's all I was attempting to convey and I provided some info of why.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for the feedback and responses to all. I wasn't hoping to sound negative towards the FPC.. I actually like the engine I was shocked that GM may use that technology in the ME vette, IF the article ends up being true. I will say that I was negative towards push-rods. As this is a S550 forum all owners or potential owners like DOHC. I own a couple of very nice push-rod vehicles and a S550. I can afford to bash either technologies.
I doubt that GM will use a FPC in the mid engine vette, but I hope they use a twin turbo DOHC motor. I think with modern emissions requirements the DOHC motor has some advantages for performance applications. Did you get the FPC info from a reliable source?

I frankly think pushrod motors are great, but emissions laws really hamstring them. If some of the emissions laws are repealed and bigger cams can go into pushrod motors that would be terrific.

The NVH could have been less on the voodoo, that's all I was attempting to convey and I provided some info of why.
To be clear - I don't believe your comments regarding someone being fired, etc., etc. are factual. Do you have some proof?
Sponsored