Sponsored

C8 Corvette Z06 getting a flat plane crank!

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
….

Corvette team had purchased a Ferrari 458 with 4.5L FPC before my team had informed them that GT350 was getting a flat planed crank. McLaren MPC12-4 and 570s were also part of the benchmarking exercises.
Wow, so they've already been working on it for over 5 years? That's a long time. I assume they are done at this point?
Corvette knew they were going mid-engine with C8 before C7 hit the street. That's the way things work in automotive planning. Doing an engine from a clean sheet of paper actually takes longer than doing a vehicle from a clean sheet of paper (provided an engine choice exists).
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Corvette knew they were going mid-engine with C8 before C7 hit the street. That's the way things work in automotive planning. Doing an engine from a clean sheet of paper actually takes longer than doing a vehicle from a clean sheet of paper (provided an engine choice exists).
I could see especially a major departure from past power trains could take a long time, especially with durability testing and then design iterations based on the results.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
Love the D.O.H.C. , hate the little flat plane crank size ( if really is 3.5L) and noise it's making. Gt-350 sounds way better, sounds amazing.
They don't need a flat plane crank, they need a regular crank engine and increase the cubes as much as they can on that damm thing.. lol.
I still think the corvette should sound like a corvette. Let the ferraris and mc larens sound like that...

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I still think the C8 FPC V8 will be lower displacement than the Voodoo. Everyone recognized the public backlash about Voodoo engine failures even if it was purely hysteria. This 5.5L rumor is continuing to perpetuate due to the C7.R displacement of 5.5L which exists because it is the limit on displacement for N/A engines in the GTE class. The FPC will be more efficient than the C7.R crossplane which will ultimately require less displacement.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It's typical of Chevy to copy Ford's great ideas. About time Chevy joined the modern world and build a V8 with overhead cams.

I wouldn't buy one produced in the first year.
Corvette team had purchased a Ferrari 458 with 4.5L FPC before my team had informed them that GT350 was getting a flat planed crank. McLaren MPC12-4 and 570s were also part of the benchmarking exercises.
Dave Pericak said in the movie A faster Horse "It doesn't matter who came up with the Ideal first just who comes to market with it first" It's obvious Ford came up with it first and the 5.5L FPC TT is gm's answer to the 5.2 Voodoo

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
https://www.motortrend.com/news/c8-corvette-z06-flat-plane-crank-twin-turbo-v-8/

IMSA GTE N/A Engine Displacement : 5.5L
IMSA GTE F/I Engine Displacement: 4.0L

C8.R is a TT thus it is will be 4.0L of displacement to meet IMSA GTE restrictions.

That 4.0L TT FPC is likely using the 4.4L Hot-V Blackwing engine architecture as its base.

Chevy is not going to build a 5.5L N/A FPC and 4.0L TT FPC.

It doesn't make sense to build an entirely different engine for the N/A variant.

The only reason this rumor exists is because the C7.R was 5.5L.

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
This is what GM should be doing imo.

7.0 Liter D.O.H.C. V8 producing 750 HP ALL MOTOR @ 8000rpm / 11.7:1 compression ratio

No, this is not a pipe dream anymore as I found out tonight that the engine ALREADY EXISTS and is available for purchase NOW. The best of all, it's based on the chevy platform too. All they need to do is to buy one of those today and start the testing with the new C8 ASAP. They don't need to try to re-invent the wheel with Flat plane crank, twin turbos and dozens of pipes and hoses all over the place in the engine bay. Just hassle, after hassle, after hassle and it will not sound good as I already could hear from the videos above.

The 7.0 liter just belongs in the corvette and would sound like a true american V8 sports car should, not like an euro engine. Don't let the Vette lose its rumble like the ford GT did with its V6 engine!

Click and just scroll down the page for all the info:

https://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

https://www.mercuryracing.com/best-of-show/

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dave Pericak said in the movie A faster Horse "It doesn't matter who came up with the Ideal first just who comes to market with it first" It's obvious Ford came up with it first and the 5.5L FPC TT is gm's answer to the 5.2 Voodoo
Actually then, Ferrari and/or McLaren came up with it first. But fact of the matter is, GM was working on it before GM knew that Ford was working on it. Hard to copy something you don’t know exists. GM knew the Ferrari and McLaren FPCs existed and acquired them before my team pointed out to them that GT350 was going to have FPC. The GM FPC is the answer to the Ferrari and McLaren FPCs.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still think the C8 FPC V8 will be lower displacement than the Voodoo. Everyone recognized the public backlash about Voodoo engine failures even if it was purely hysteria. This 5.5L rumor is continuing to perpetuate due to the C7.R displacement of 5.5L which exists because it is the limit on displacement for N/A engines in the GTE class. The FPC will be more efficient than the C7.R crossplane which will ultimately require less displacement.
It will be 5.5L FPC. Trust me on that.
  • You may note in my response to one of Hack’s post that it takes longer to develop an all new engine than it takes to develop an all new car.
  • This would imply that GM was working on the engine for C8 variants BEFORE C8 was finalized
  • I retired from GM two years ago, having seen 85% of what C8 as the general public now sees it and probably a few things the general public has not seen yet
  • I spent my last 20 years before I retired in GM Powertrain Product Planning (including last 10 in Industry and Competitor Intel). This would imply that GM was already working on the new engine before I left and that my team was providing them intel towards that development.

Sponsored

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
  • You may note in my response to one of Hack’s post that it takes longer to develop an all new engine than it takes to develop an all new car.
  • This would imply that GM was working on the engine for C8 variants BEFORE C8 was finalized
  • I retired from GM two years ago, having seen 85% of what C8 as the general public now sees it and probably a few things the general public has not seen yet
  • I spent my last 20 years before I retired in GM Powertrain Product Planning (including last 10 in Industry and Competitor Intel). This would imply that GM was already working on the new engine before I left and that my team was providing them intel towards that development.
Well, It's not as bad as I thought, at least close to at 350 cubes in displacement (wish it was bigger) Do you think it will sound as good as a GT-350 or they will make it sound like some sort of exotic car?

Do you also think that the flat plane crank will kill the car's bottom end like it did with the GT-350 up to 0- 4000/ 45000 rpm or the turbos will help the car off the line and will drive completely different that the Gt-350?

Thank you.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, It's not as bad as I thought, at least close to at 350 cubes in displacement (wish it was bigger) Do you think it will sound as good as a GT-350 or they will make it sound like some sort of exotic car?

Do you also think that the flat plane crank will kill the car's bottom end like it did with the GT-350 up to 0- 4000/ 45000 rpm or the turbos will help the car off the line and will drive completely different that the Gt-350?

Thank you.
Good questions. Wish I could answer them. Keep in mind, not all of the 5.5L will be TT, so we’ll have to see how the NA version works out in the Grand Sport or Z06. A couple things that the C8 will have going for it that GT350 didn’t have are the benefit of mass over the rear axle and a transmission that will not experience torque drop off between shifts.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
You know Garbage Motors has to copy FORD:crackup::cwl:
its not copying GM had modern 4 cam 32v engine in 1990-1995 Know as the LT-5 in a ZR-1 that well before the coyote was even a thought be glad they didnt stick with it they would be 15 years more advanced by now ..

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
i was wondering when someone was going to make a thread about it. im considering selling but only if they come out with a manual. hm.... when to sell... when to sell...

However, even at the 3LT package, it states its a 6.2 LT2 V* Engine. Where's the discrepancy at that? Is there another trim model that will offer the FPC Twin Turbo?
Personally I'm hoping every 350 owner will sell and tank the value of those cars so I can buy one lol

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
its not copying GM had modern 4 cam 32v engine in 1990-1995 Know as the LT-5 in a ZR-1 that well before the coyote was even a thought be glad they didnt stick with it they would be 15 years more advanced by now ..
Your referring to the Lotus engine.That was built by Mercury marine engines right?
Sponsored