Sponsored

C&D 10 best 2018

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
The RS3 is done right. I just wish that they still had a hatch over here. I would consider it very hard as a DD.
Sponsored

guzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350, 2019 Mustang GT
This comparison made no sense. They didn’t even take the GT350 into its real environment where it shines, the track. It would smoke the RS3 on the track which is what the car was designed for. Skid pad specs aren’t even close. Their whole 10 best comparison was a joke.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
I drove the RS3 but I did this. So far I love it. This thing is no joke...you can tell it was designed/engineered pretty much by Ferrari. On track vs stock GT350 it may even have an edge but didn't buy it to track it although I may autocross for fun. Besides it has carbon ceramic brakes and 60 comp tires.
IMG_3028.JPG

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I drove the RS3 but I did this. So far I love it. This thing is no joke...you can tell it was designed/engineered pretty much by Ferrari. On track vs stock GT350 it may even have an edge but didn't buy it to track it although I may autocross for fun. Besides it has carbon ceramic brakes and 60 comp tires.
I've lusted after the Guilia ever since the first photo I saw.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
My neighbor purchased a Giulia. It has spent more time in the shop than he has had it in his garage. He has a lawyer pursuing the Lemon Law. They are beautiful, but half the times he tries to start it, no bueno.

Sponsored

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
This comparison made no sense. They didn’t even take the GT350 into its real environment where it shines, the track. It would smoke the RS3 on the track which is what the car was designed for. Skid pad specs aren’t even close. Their whole 10 best comparison was a joke.
Bingo. Two days ago I wrote a detailed "Letters To The Editor" about this. Since I own both a performance Audi and the Shelby, I felt somewhat qualified to throw the "BS Flag" on this particular comparison. It will be interesting to see if my letter gets published.

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
I think you guys buried the lead...

GT350 makes Car and Driver 2018 10 Best cover!!! ;)
I went to multiple magazine stands to find this issue and not one of them had it :mad:

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's somewhat bittersweet isnt' it? Since the GT350 is the one that lost out.

-T
Well, for those who did read this C&D Brussel Sprouts to carrots comparison (Shelby to Audi RS3), I think the thing that lost out was the magazine's flimsy logic to justify putting a newer model in their top 10. And I wrote a letter to the editor calling them out on it. I made it clear that as the owner of a performance model Audi and a Shelby, their comparison of these two totally different cars lacked validity. Basically I suggested that if they just wanted to get the latest RS3 into this year's top 10, do so without the crap excuses - no problem. No question that the RS3 is a fine car in its segment.

And the cover - well that is their acknowledgement that the cover cars boost distribution. If that was NOT true - the RS3 would have been on the cover...

Sponsored

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
I went to multiple magazine stands to find this issue and not one of them had it :mad:
That sucks. They sometimes do different covers for subscription vs stores. Looks like only the home subscribers got that cover. Spoilers... the car in the left lost.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I think you guys buried the lead...

attachment.jpg

GT350 makes Car and Driver 2018 10 Best cover!!! ;)
It's nice to see the GT350/R on yet another cover. But is there anything on the GT350/R in the magazine or even another pic of it inside?

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Well, for those who did read this C&D Brussel Sprouts to carrots comparison (Shelby to Audi RS3), I think the thing that lost out was the magazine's flimsy logic to justify putting a newer model in their top 10. And I wrote a letter to the editor calling them out on it. I made it clear that as the owner of a performance model Audi and a Shelby, their comparison of these two totally different cars lacked validity. Basically I suggested that if they just wanted to get the latest RS3 into this year's top 10, do so without the crap excuses - no problem. No question that the RS3 is a fine car in its segment.

And the cover - well that is their acknowledgement that the cover cars boost distribution. If that was NOT true - the RS3 would have been on the cover...
The article was titled "The Battle of the Badass Engines". The GT350/R made it to last years 10 Best list, for a second year in a row, as a stand alone model. They automatically invite the previous year's winners back to compete. This year, a Badass Engined Audi (RS3) displaced it, for the reasons described in the article. What's the beef? Nobody said they have to be in the same market segment to compete to get on the 10 best list.

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
It's nice to see the GT350/R on yet another cover. But is there anything on the GT350/R in the magazine or even another pic of it inside?
Yes, there is an article with a few pictures.

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The article was titled "The Battle of the Badass Engines". The GT350/R made it to last years 10 Best list, for a second year in a row, as a stand alone model. They automatically invite the previous year's winners back to compete. This year, a Badass Engined Audi (RS3) displaced it, for the reasons described in the article. What's the beef? Nobody said they have to be in the same market segment to compete to get on the 10 best list.

Yes, I have been reading C&D for many years and am quite familiar with their process of selection, etc. Where's the beef? Well here is where:

"Only a long-legged BMW, or maybe a turbo-free Lamborghini, offers a similar experience. This is the way performance engines used to be, not as all-or-nothing boost bombs but as measured and controlled rheostats. We are likely witnessing the final opus of the naturally aspirated V-8. Even Ferrari has given up on it, simply because they suck gas. We averaged 15 mpg with the regular 350 and 14 mpg with the R, below their EPA-rated combined figures of 16 mpg. Well, honors to Ford for ushering out an era with a magnificent finale."

Source: Car & Driver Magazine. Did they change their minds? Hmmm.

Again, I like Audis and have a performance "boost bomb" Audi of my own. The RS3 is yet another in a long line of "boost bomb" cars which means IMHO the engine here is not significantly unique other than cylinder count. This engine is also in the most powerful TTS, which I test drove before buying the Shelby.

Guess it all boils down to what one defines as really both badass AND somewhat unique.

YRMV
Sponsored